Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Revolut Shops - Cashback with In-App Purchases - 3% with Amazon + other retailers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 965 ✭✭✭Pete123456

Worked instantly for a Sonos purchase last night

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭Thephantomsmask

It just worked for me in store in Boots after activating the offer and then tapping the phone to pay. Glad to get something back on my prescription charges 🤣

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

Noticed that with an Amazon refund they didn't take the 3% cashback back.

But had two refunds with Next and Zalando - both took away the 3% cashback when the refund was processed onto my Revolut account.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭CFC007

You got lucky with Amazon as I cancelled an order today and cashback got revoked right away

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Stewball

I was wondering how that would work.

I ordered 3 items from Next and returned 2. I got refunded the full amount for both items yesterday - the cashback remained.

Wasn't a cancelled order but a faulty item return days after payment and delivery.

Both Next and Zalando were single item orders and returns, so perhaps that was why. Might have remained if a partial refund on an order.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,390 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

So buy the most expensive item you can find on Amazon , wait for the 3%, then cancel it. Repeat. Haha

Im going to test paying in a shop with revolut that is doing the offer , but without starting it through the app next first. Just to see if it works.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭vickers209

Anyone successful do the cashback iin dunnes stores by logging in to website on Revolut app then paying in store?

Nice little boost on weekly shop along witb vouchers if it works

• Advertisement

It was a joke. Relax. See the haha on end ? I wouldn’t be bothered ever doing that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭cython

Getting back to the bargain, I activated the cashback for Next in the app and purchased in store shortly after, and have received cash back within a few mins

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭AhhHere

Is this offer one time only or do you get 3% back every transaction?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,229 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Every transaction, but you have to activate it in-app each time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 594 ✭✭✭ECookie13

Jesus, no wonder deals like these never last with cheapskate carry-on like this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Just out of curiosity, who funds the cashback? Does anyone know?

I assume the shops do, and those included had to sign up with revolut to be included. It's an impressively big list if that's true though. I'm especially surprised that Amazon would sign up, they don't seem like the sort of company to follow others' lead

• Advertisement

My bad , I should have remembered some people don’t have a sense of humour. It was clearly a joke. This is my last comment on it as it’s off topic. Sorry to everyone else for derailing the thread.

I was wondering this myself. If Amazon are doing it they could lose a serious amount of money. And as you say there is loads of shops in it. I was surprised by some of the ones in it, just random sites I use the odd time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭JTMan

Wondering the same too. A lot of companies are included that would not be the typical companies to offer cashback.

My guess is that the in-app purchases by-pass most merchant card services costs. I.e. retailers often have to pay 1.5% to 3% for cards. I wonder if Revolut have told the retailers that there will be zero card payment costs with in app purchases in exchange for cashback with in turn will drive customers.

Also, maybe once customers are used to in-app purchases the 3% will decline after the initial promo period.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭yoshimitsu

Shops pay for it. this happens all the time online e.g. search for 'sneakers' on google, click on link that takes u adidas shop (or whomever else), complete the transaction, google gets % of the transaction. the magic of cookies

Revolut may facilitate this by taking a lower transaction fee from the merchant. if you pay 100 with your debit/credit card the merchant only gets say 98 of that. the 2% is split between the acquiring bank (the bank or fintech that enables the payment for the merchant), the payment schemes (visa, mc, amex, etc) and the issuing bank (the bank that gives the card to the consumer, in this case revolut). revolut may be forfeiting part or all of their cut to get you accustomed to using their card vs your traditional banks.

but most likely what revolut gives up is not more than 0.5-1.0%. the rest is given up by the merchant who happily does so to drive traffic to their store, churn inventory, etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭mightyreds

Tried today and it didn't give cashback in Dunnes although Smyths did

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Not sure what merchant processing fees are these days but I'd imagine that's where the 3% is coming from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,329 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Used it in a few physical shops yesterday: M&S, Dunnes, TK Maxx and Bookstation. Dunnes was the only one that didn't work - wonder why?

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭R11

I made a purchase on Amazon through revolut link on Oct 19th....no cashback. So I got into chat. They said it's no longer active or available.......but it still clearly is on the app

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭R11

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,843 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

As I pointed out in a previous post, it's because the name of the store you shopped in appears in the transaction details so Revolut knows it's not an online purchase.

This is how it appears in my Revolut transaction. No mention of the actual store name.

Every Dunnes outlet I shop in has its own unique transaction name (eg 'Dunnes Tralee NCR'). By contract, when I shop in Lidl, it always appears as just 'Lidl', regardless of store.

Not sure why that isn't the case for the particular store you shopped in. But maybe online transactions have a slightly different name anyway. In any case, it's clear Revolut has no trouble knowing what Dunnes transactions are online and what aren't.

Clearly not every Dunnes does that, as I just demonstrated.

They do, it's just Revolut 'cleans up' transaction names of supermarkets etc. and attaches logos to make for a more intuitive experience. N26 does the same. Pay with a different card like Curve and you'll see the full transaction names.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,110 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

How long should it take for the cashback?

Bought stuff on Bershka using the link from Revolut app.

On the final checkout page I had to jump back to Revolut app to get my card details; surely should still work?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭ben36

Is there anyway to get redirected to the uk argos and not the Irish one?the items I need are working out a lot cheaper in the uk Argos and it would be nice to get the 3% cashback too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭andrew1977

Used my Revolut to pay for a jd sports online order went onto the site via the link in my Revolut .

3% cash back arrived about 5 seconds after my purchase was confirmed . Grand job .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 971 ✭✭✭phunkadelic

When I click into 1000 brands - 3% cashback, it asks me for fingerprint, then goes back in a loop.

Anyone having that problem?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭selfbuilder1

Is anyone else having trouble with Revolut on Amazon. I have used Revolut multiple times before without issue but today I’m unable to select either of my Revolut cards as payment but can select other credit cards no problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭djdunny

Yup I had the same issue today. I went onto my laptop browser and there was an option to select correct currency and then it allowed me to pay using Revolut.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,954 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Came on here to check this, just happened to me today.

Pain in the hoop, just ended up choosing a different method

Upon further checking it may just be down to the Amazon app/mobile site and not having the option to choose the card currency.

It's the same for me on some non Revolut cards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭djdunny

Not immediately. I have found that there is a slight delay in taking payment. Took about 3 mins but got the cash back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭selfbuilder1

Got this sorted the same way by selecting the currency of the card on a PC. I was able to go ahead with the purchase on my phone after and get the cash back from Revolut. Thanks for the help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭jaffa20

Did it work for anyone in their Dunnes shop? I activated on app, paid with revolut card, but received nothing yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,110 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Mine didn't work anyway with Bershka. The most convoluted crappy UI / experience I've seen in a good while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 845 ✭✭✭what the hell!

Works in store with Zara anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

Didn't work in-store in DID for me yesterday.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭BhoyRayzor

Anyone get it to work in Currys? I take it you need a physical card instead of the virtual card to use in store if the transaction is over the contactless limit?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭Brian CivilEng

How long does the cashback offer stay active once you activate on the revolut app. I noticed that sometimes Amazon don't charge immediately. When this happens I don't get the cashback. Making a habit of activating the cashback each night before going to bed in case they charge overnight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭Lord Spence

Worked for me yesterday in store at Smyths, definitely a handy one leading up to the Christmas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Didn't work in store at PowerCity.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Stewball

Didn't work for me with vidaXL.

I contacted revolut chat and they told me it can take up to 14 days to receive the cashback. I'll contact them again if it doesn't come through.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭ltd440

I bought a tablet on the currys website and collected in store.

I got my cashback instantly, but currys now charge a delivery to store fee of 6 euros, so that wiped out my little cashback win.

• Advertisement
Advertisement