Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things you hate about this time of year..

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Count Dracula

Twilight driving, especially the first few weeks of getting used to the dark.

It is one of the biggest elephants in the room when it comes to road safety. Night driving is really difficult at the best of times, but it gets worse every year in this country.

Why is there no night time car test?

Drivers have no clue how to use their headlights. Cyclists who are not wearing proper gear. Cyclists who value their lives should basically be going around flashing like christmas trees, it should be the law and fines should be dished out. I cycle, so I am not an anti bike nazi petrolhead.

The tax man.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭bad2thebone

I live very rurally in a valley now away from suburbia, so Im lucky that I don't have to worry about that urban terrorism every Halloween.

I grew up Shannon Town as a teenager in Halloween during the 80's , and they used to be up to all kinds of skullduggery. Egging people, throwing cat's into bonfires, robbing each other's bonfire wood. Burning tyre's. Egging windows etc

There was one evil bastard who threatened to use one of the lads I hung around as a sacrifice in their bonfire. Himself and his little army of delinquency cornered us at one of the points on the estuary and took us hostage. One of the lads joke's that he probably ended up going to holy war or jihad in the middle east or something. As far as I know he's a recovering alcoholic/addict living in a caravan in east Clare in the woods somewhere. If i met him he'd probably kak his pants he's supposedly not so evil anymore. A quivering fearful wreck now and he's found God supposedly.

He was the epitome of evil incarnate.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,258 ✭✭✭✭fits

I live in a rural area too. Was walking in Dublin City centre last week and a banger frightened the life out of me. It must be torture for some pets especially.

My garden covered in wet leaves. I love my trees but I hate cleaning up the bloody leaves.

BIG spiders.

Fireworks scaring the life out of my pets.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭patmahe

The fact that all local councils seem to have to use up their budget by the end of the year so every town, village, city you go to has half its roads dug up so you end up sitting staring at a row of red lights in queue of traffic in the dark, in the rain anytime you try to do anything. Can you tell I spent 20 minutes sitting in a line of cars because of pointless roadworks this morning.

Also leaving for work in the dark and coming home in the dark.

Oh and spiders deciding to come inside for the winter (arachnophobic here)

Post edited by patmahe on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭cezanne

The heavy rain & Christmas cheer !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Hooked

Ha ha!!! First year in our new house (city boy - now living in the country) and the leaves are a SCOURGE!!!

Still - the peace and quiet at Halloween is gonna be bliss! Plus I LOVE the sky (stars) at night out here.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭j2

I love this time of year. For any photographers it's a great chance to see familiar landscapes in a new way, the changes in the colours can be really thrilling. Also the air seems more crisp and fresh, walking out in the mountains on a chilly autumn morning is a delicious experience. If I had one gripe it's the Instagramification of it, the "autumn aesthetic" or autumn vibes thing, where some kind of Jennifer Antison infused interpretation of the season replete with mugs of coffee, woolly jumpers, and preposterous images of Kardashian clones leaping into the air surrounded by brown leaves tossed by an off camera friend abound. Also if an Irish person refers to autumn as fall I think about 5 years in the joy is fair.

Advertisement