Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things you hate about this time of year..

Options

Comments

Driving to work in icy conditions, I dread it. Also trying to clear the car windows early in the morning when you're in a rush.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,252 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Clocks changing at the end of October. Sure you get an extra hour in bed, but you are literally plunged into darkness in the afternoon.

Anyone who doesn't think we should be on permanent summer time is plain wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 29,191 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

We don't really get bad frosts like we used to years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

Bangers from August to November.

Dark mornings (I like dark evenings though).

Spiders.

Struggling with all three of these this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,552 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Quite like this time of year as well as spring. In fact I'd prefer both spring and autumn over summer & winter. Times of change maybe why.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,426 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

If you are self-employed, tax returns at the end of October.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,272 ✭✭✭✭fits

Nope don’t agree. Darkness until 9 in the morning would be horrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,252 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

When the clocks change, dawn will move from 8:30am to 7:30 am

And sunset goes from 6pm to 5pm

More people can use the light in the evening than in the morning

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

It's already dark, you're already probably in work. It's obviously not good but it's horrible when you watch it get dark at 4 **** 30. What benefit is a bit of extra brightness in the morning when most of us already have to wake up in the dark anyway. The only benefit and I'll give you this is if you actively go out of your way to get sunlight first thing in the morning. Sometimes in the winter I'll go out with just shorts on just to get the sunlight.

I like a fire but as someone mentioned that smell and feel of walking through a place where the fire is on makes me queasy. It triggers memories of the 90's and miserable winters(winter doesn't seem as bad anymore) and just general gloominess. The air is so much fresher without them.

I also miss the sociability of the summer. I hate 'cosy' pubs. I much prefer a decent outdoor area on a long summer evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Pissy Missy

I do love Christmas, it's just a financial stressor when you have very little income and plenty of outgoings. You don't love Christmas anymore?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,272 ✭✭✭✭fits

Sunrise is at 8:40 in mid December. That would be 9:40 if we stayed on summer time.

Too much spending and shopping at Christmas and then the buyers remorse.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,898 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

The weather..

I went out without a jacket for a brief walk last week, brief became very brief it was so cold… a couple of days later, the same time in the evening, bringing a light jacket … I’m sweating like a dyslexic person on countdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,908 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Am very fortunate to be going to Southern Spain for November. After the clocks change it brightens about 9am or so, but the sun goes down about 6 ish (long time since we went at that time so a bit hazy). When you're on a break it doesn't matter but the longer evenings do make such a difference along with higher (not mad) temperatures too and a BLUE SKY!. Weather can be hit and miss, but I'm not here and just potter from town to town on the local bus, all human life is there.

I did say I was lucky. Back for fkn Christmas which I do not like at all sorry. For family reasons want to be here for that just the same. When that's no longer a big thing I'll be gone from November to end of February. Cheaper than here anyway only the standing charges on energy to pay for!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,529 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I was called on my spelling a couple of years ago, improved with reading glasses though !

• Registered Users Posts: 16,526 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

And noone so far has mentioned

And you brought up another poster's spelling?

I don't really get the connection between that and where you quoted me? :confused:

Is that what theyre referring to in the other thread? Omg. Jaysis. I...no words.

Yes I did. I use to have a previous account here years ago and I remember that poster was often questioned about it and I was very supportive towards them. It was half joke/half curious as to what is a definite difference in their posting style. As I only know the poster as a series of letters on an internet forum, you tend to make observations.

The poster responded with what I interpreted as a joke back and I joked back with them. Unless the poster themselves want to pm me or if a mod has problem with it ..nothing to see here.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,526 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

I was referring to your own incorrect spelling on an earlier post in this thread. It's ironic that you mentioned another poster's spelling in that respect.

I've no idea how other threads or previous accounts are relevant to what I posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭Dufflecoat Fanny

horror films and series everywhere pure scutter i can't stand it silly shite

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭thinkabouit

I hate it because I'm almost guaranteed to get ill with whatever flu or bug is going around

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,480 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

Two words that will be more impactful this year thanks to the insane energy prices; Clothes Horse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭bad2thebone

I agree with you, I love carving out Jack o Lantern's rather than pumpkins. Give me the pagan darker side of Samhain rather than the plastic Hollywood style.

Although I quite like the sleepy hollow Johnny Depp movie, That's quite dark....

I get people who give me a few turnips every year. I bought some really good carving tools and I cut them out like the original ....

They're more spooky looking and look great.

Ah right I get you now.

The reason I didn't get it first is cause I'm not a Grammer Nazi so wouldn't automatically go to that. I don't think like that. My original post was not intended that way. It was more musing over a dramatic change in style not that it was eh.... incoherent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭bad2thebone

Year's ago there was a poster on board's called The magic marker. They used to correct people's posts and grammar. Quite helpful in way's in a funny way.

I think it was a bit of harmless banter, but it's easy to spot when it's not harmless banter....

But some people used to get very offended by it.

Lol I thought it was funny

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭StreetLight

Knuckle-dragging teens who set off series after series of bangers non-stop. Why do they waste them? They use them all up during September and October, then there are none left for Halloween.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,857 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

I hate bangers. I remember being a teenager and in school walking through the corridor to next class and lads just throwing them and shouting 'banger'. They have no purpose like at least fireworks look nice and the dogs are afraid of them.

Ah now youve never spent a bit too much over the Christmas and felt a bit bad about it after... especially if something you got wasn't good quality?

I think a lot of the traditions of pagan origin were suppressed by the church and finally made extinct by our desire to Americanise ourselves.

The one thing that is, unfortunately, uniquely Irish these days is Halloween as an excuse to act like an arsehole, burning stuff, fireworks and bangers terrorising people and animals alike.

• Advertisement

No. Because I dont buy shite for people, especially shite they dont want. This is exactly what retailers want you to do, you can be better than this and not fall into their trap.

Advertisement