Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

71 year old living in car on the 🔑

Options
13»

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

So a mental disability would exclude someone from having a car somehow?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

You can try and back peddle as much as you like. Your implications were very clear. Because you haven't seen evidence of a physical disability such as a mobility aid, you conclude he doesn't have a physical disability. That would leave him with a "mental" disability which you believe for some utterly bizarre reason, allows authorities from precluding people from driving. Ergo, according to you, this man is not disabled. You either are extremely ignorant of what living with any kind disability involves or you are determined to prove this man is taking the p1ss with nonsense arguments.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,915 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Am I the only one feeling decidedly queasy at this thread and the OP's attitude to someone apparently living (at least some of the time) in his car?

it seems to veer between blind ignorance, voyeurism and just taking the piss.

This is a human being, could be your father/grandfather/uncle - all this guessing at and picking apart of his life is just horrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭BBM77

Not disagreeing with you, but it was his choice to bring whatever his problem is into public view.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

I've seen him with a walking stick and I've also seen him with frame at times. He is clearly in need of additional help.

Yes, some of the commentary on here is quite cruel, hope the man gets sorted with something before it gets even colder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Hodger

We have a thing called a housing crisis in the present moment; he is not the only person forced to sleep in his car last month the newspapers reported on some students also forced to sleep to sleep in their cars due to a lack of accommodation.

https://www.independent.ie/business/budget/im-living-out-of-my-car-because-i-cant-get-accommodation-for-college-42022616.html

I really hope that you or none of your family or any of your friends never become homeless or fall on hard times like this man has.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭BBM77

Yes, of course there is a housing crisis. But there are also chancers. Don’t see why so many people are taking him at face value when people have seen him not sleeping there. Fact is nobody knows exactly what happened with the council. For all you know the council could have been more than justified in telling him he does not qualify for s house.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

I would agree? it’s looking more and more like this guy is in the chancer category.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭extrapolate

I remember when i first saw him a while back I looked him up and found out he had problems with his neighbours and the guards. I can't remember exact details now, but from what I could gather it seemed he was unfairly driven out of his home.

I don’t know why some people think he’s entitled to immediate housing, because he decided to park and live (at least sometimes) in his car.

Firstly it would set such a bad precedent it’s unbelievable. Don’t want to live where you do? Want a council house without delay? Just drive your car to somewhere, park up and live in it for a bit!

There’s rules in place to ensure that it doesn't happen. Absolutely no way should anyone be allowed just drive their car to a town or city that suits them, live in their car & just get a council house.

Then there’s the fact on average people wait about 5-10 years from their application being approved before they ever hear of an offer. Then it’s about another 12-18 months before you can actually move in.

He’s in a dream world if he thinks he’s getting a house from the council or any housing body. I’d interpret from the fact he’s not always in the car (well, allegedly), he’s either got a friend or something nearby who’s letting him stay, he’s paying for a hotel/hostel or the council have sorted him a hostel or B&B.

But irrespective of the chance he’s not living in the car full time, regardless he’s not a hope of getting anything better than emergency accommodation. I can’t stress enough how there’s no hope. Consider the outrage were the council to hand him the keys somewhere. It would be nuclear compared to the upset some feel about his current situation.

There’s people living in dumps for years paying out the nose or homeless not by any choice of theirs, contrary to what has been alleged so far about this guy, so why should he supersede them in getting housed? Not to mention we’re in a housing crisis at the minute, so I suppose the council should immediately construct an apartment or perhaps he’d favour a cottage somewhere.

Seriously some people need to get a grip, this guy is nowhere near entitled to a council or any other housing bodies, property in Waterford, just because he decided to park his car and cook on the Quay.

Suppose if it’s that easy I’ll have a BBQ down on Waterford Quay and get a wee summer home.

• Advertisement

Good post…..but be prepared to get ‘torn a new one’ by some of the pc posters here…….😡

we will probably never know the truth about this man’s background maybe the news and star or Munster will do a story/interview with him at some stage but even then we all know how accurate/inaccurate journalists can be with their reporting……story is usually ‘spun’ to boost sales / cause a sensation with only a sprinkling of the facts

• Registered Users Posts: 5,002 ✭✭✭malinheader

Could he not tear up all his documents and turn up at the airport and claim hes seeking asylum.

Be better looked after imo than sleeping in a car.

this might work but he would need to be good at putting on accents……he also looks very Irish so could be a tough ask.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I think this thread has run its course and has gone down a racist road so I'm closing it. There's no value in random internet people trying to pick apart somebody's personal life.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement