Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

71 year old living in car on the 🔑

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭nomoedoe

He's parked in a disabled spot well he was anytime I passed him

• Registered Users Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

He will get himself some hefty fines then……unless he has the ‘blue badge’……however he doesn’t look that disabled as he is out cooking on his gas ring etc etc….although I suppose like anything getting a blue badge for disabled parking may not be that difficult. E

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭CreadanLady

Possibly a tactic to make as much trouble and look unsightly as possible in the hope of making the place look so bad that local businesses will make him a cash offer to pack up and fúck off.

The MFV Creadan Lady is a mussel dredger from Dunmore East.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭cezanne

In the interest of being fair - Dont forget dishing out housing to Ukranians !! Answer that one that also imposes on citizens of every county in our country , but that OK????? !

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Crusty Blaa

What are you rambling on about?! It's not what I'm "okay" or "not okay" with. It's what the rules state;

To qualify for social housing in a certain area, the person must have been living or working in the area prior to applying (foreign nationals included) or have local connections in the county. This gentleman doesn't meet any of the above criteria so therefore doesn't qualify for housing in Waterford based on the t&cs. As someone else mentioned he is entitled to apply but will likely be referred back to his local authority in Cavan.

• Advertisement

Will be interesting to see how long this / his protest will continue for given the temps are dropping etc……where does he do his showering and shaving etc and what about his clothes washing……socks / jocks etc….😀

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭Flow Motion

My, my, my... that's one of the most vile and entitled comments I have ever read on this site. I have a picture in my mind of what kind of person you are in my mind and I know it accurately reflects reality. Your toxic attitude "makes this area look bad". I take it you are just stirring the pot in a quasi troll way because if you really harbour such opinions and attitudes than society is much poorer with your existence on this planet not to mention this town. Hope it all stays fine for you buddy. Life's a journey and nobody escapes hardship, pain, grief or bad fortune. Absolutely nobody. So reflect on that when karma comes calling. The only "ugly signs" I can see is your vapid, soulless, insular rhetoric. Hiding behind some anonymous letters and words too afraid to reveal yourself to the real world. The reality of the old man's situation is unknown but he does have a right to protest. He has a right to be heard. From what I have seen lots of people stop and have a chat with him. Let's hope no of us end up in a situation where we end up living in our cars. Friends and family are notoriously fickle. Ever heard of the housing crisis? Or are you too busy earning money?

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Oscar Madison

I'm curious as to the background history of this man.

What were the circumstances that led him to becoming homeless & bringing him

to the situation where he now finds himself in & if he is indeed from Cavan, why isn't

he looking for accommodation in Cavan? Surely he has friends / family in Cavan?

I personally have little time for people like this who put out the idea that they

are the victim here & expect all & sundry to rally to their cause.

There is history here but it's being hidden!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭BBM77

First of all, forum charter “We can't stress this enough, please remember to attack the post, not the poster.”

Secondly, I’m sure you have a picture in your mind of what kind of person I am but it is sod all to do with reality. You took one five-line post and filled in the rest based on your own prejudices. Are you so unbelievably arrogant to think you can define what kind of person I am from one five-line post?

Thirdly, you talk about “he does have a right to protest” then attack my right to free speech and existence with “society is much poorer with your existence on this planet not to mention this town”. So in your mind anybody who does not follow your opinion makes society poorer!

You would want to have a good hard look at your own attitudes pal.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭GandhiwasfromBallyfermot

There is 100% more to this story than what we've heard. He's been there a few months at this stage and still nobody knows for sure what his background is, I think its right to be a bit suspicious of it. Definitely sad that there's a man living in his car on the quay but I'd like to think at this stage he's been offered emergency accommodation, but probably turned it down to make his point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭juno10353

So many people making assumptions about this man with no facts. Is it our business to know his personal business? We should all be checking and ensuring this man is linked into the services which are there to help him...... ie health boards, churches, homeless organisations, hostels, police, mental health services etc. Most above have outreach workers who, if they know about him, will link in with him and give him assistance.

Can people in the area ring the services, not complain about the man, but ensure the relevant people know he needs assistance

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭tobey

Hes not sleeping there. I live in the city center and walk 5 nights out of 7 around town in the evaning and hes very rearly there

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭Flow Motion

"Magic mirror on the wall, who's the fairest one of all?". And who uses the word "pal" anymore?? 🤣 Now, go hide behind the facade or "charter" and forget about the out of town auld fella sleeping in his car. I know what you are. Anyone who read your post knows what you are. There's an appropriate word for you. Im thinking of it right now. Short word. I think you know it. Dosen't take a lot to arrive at that conclusion. I've said my piece and will say no more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭BBM77

You know what anybody who read the post is thinking now also! Do you have any idea how nuts you sound? Have a simple piece of advice for you. In your head – reality, they are not the same.

PS. You have said nothing expect personal insults pointed to me which is pretty pathetic. The reason you are not going to say anymore is you don’t understand the nuances of what you are writing.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Micky Bluenips

After reading all the comments and basically nobody know his story but everyone making up their own stories. The modern way really I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭nomoedoe

Yeah he’s not sleeping there ive passed many nights and never seen him in the car, he does his protest during the day and heads of somewhere to sleep at night is the impression i get.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭_H80_GHT

My God man. Have some sort of humanity will you. The man is in his 70's. I really despair at your type. I really do.

This guy has to be a few short of a 6 pack…..but I’ll reserve final judgement until I have a conversation with him some day soon…..!!

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭niallo76

you can't miss him---he do be down the quay most days

• Advertisement

What does he look like…😀😀 does he have a friendly demeanour or is he a ‘mr angry’ type.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭niallo76

Judging by some comments some people may feel he should replace the little tapping babóg John Halligan in the Fieldmaster window to earn his keep...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

MOD: Put the handbags down everyone!

People might say stuff others disagree with, but at the end of the day you should attach the post not the poster. If anyone is incapable of following this then please don't post.

If you believe a post has breached the charter or boards rules then please report the post!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

How does one "look disabled"?, I'm curious considering the sheer number of disabilities you can't see when you look at somebody.

My dad for example, doesn't "look disabled" but he's most certainly fully entitled to a blue badge. Disabled people face enough challenges in day to day life, they don't need this sort of thing too.

It’s very straight forward particularly with physical disabilities to ‘look disabled’ most obvious ones being a wheel chair bound, missing a limb, having a ‘cane’ or a guide dog……mental ones are a bit harder to spot alright……this man based on casual glance while driving past would appear to be in good physical shape, no sign of a wheel chair or missing limbs, if he has a mental disability he would hardly have a car….?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

So, only people with visibly obvious disabilities count?!!! I don't think you even know what you mean by a mental disability. And no, it isn't very straight forward. You are particularly ignorant on this matter.

Using the the phrase "doesn’t look that disabled" is very insulting in this regard, lots of disabilities can't be seen by bystanders like yourself yet the person with a disability can still do stuff like drive.

W

where did I say ‘only people with obvious physical disabilities count’….?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

"It's fairly obvious with physical disabilities to look disabled "

• Advertisement

And where do I say that they don’t count…?

this is becoming a separate debate now…..we are still none the wiser about the man protesting and his need to park up on mains st claiming to be made homeless etc

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement