Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

71 year old living in car on the 🔑

Options
  • 06-10-2022 10:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭

Anyone know who this guy is and what his ‘real story’ is?…..anytime I’ve transversed the quay lately I’ve seen this small car park just opposite fieldmaster…..cylinder of gas plus ring etc and signs/banners claiming the government put him out of his house……??

Post edited by Cabaal on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Crusty Blaa

I've heard he is from Cavan, sold his home and has been living in hotels in Waterford but ran out of cash. Doesn't qualify for social housing in this jurisdiction but does in Cavan however refuses to live there. I don't really have much sympathy for him if that is the correct story.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

Interesting…..might stop and have a chat with him some day…….sounds like he could have ‘mental’ issues…..I wonder does he pay for his parking…..he’ll have accumulated some amount of parking tickets if not

• Registered Users Posts: 28,934 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

why bloody not, for whatever reasons he cant/wont return to cavan, so why not house him here, whats the difference?? i know of a chap that was refused housing here to under the same conditions, wasnt from here, but was homeless, had a diagnosed psychological disorder, was registered with a related supports organization here, but the system said no! thats just disturbing!

theres clearly psychological issues going on here to, wtf are we doing just effectively telling these folks ta fcuk off, thats just a disturbing society!

If we start dishing out housing to every Tom, Dick & Harry from outside the county, where does it leave people from Waterford that need a house? Will they have to go apply for housing in Cavan? The local social housing list is long enough as it is. I'm sorry if I'm being blunt here but I don't think it's as simple as giving a house to whoever wants it, where they want it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭BBM77

Justifiably or not, he may well have a beef with the council. Still gives him no right to take over a city centre parking space and to stick ugly looking signs up on a main street. If it is true that he is from Cavan expecting a council house or whatever he is looking for in Waterford, makes it even more unreasonable to me. Makes the area look bad and does businesses and residences in the area no good.

• Advertisement

Passed today and no sign of the ‘Cavan man’…..sign on pole outlining his message and front windows of car covered. Looked like a pillow or two in back seat…! Didn’t notice a parking ticket on it so maybe the council will ‘lift’ the car due to non Payment of fines etc….being from Cavan though one would expect nothing better…🤣🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 28,915 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

Man is boards filled with "I'm alright jack" type arseholes.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭carfinder

Man is Board's filled with "rude scrounger apologist" types 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

Keep punching down to the lowest in society! stay classy.

• Advertisement

Wonder how long more this / his protest will continue for….? Being 71 I assume he can ‘draw’ his pension locally and doesn’t need to present himself to a Cavan post office….?

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭carfinder

Stay classy me hole... plenty of chancers trying to game the system and supported by gullible useful idiots

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭juno10353

A 71 year old man visably living in unsuitable situation and winter looming, I would sincerely hope that local agencies are linking with him and there will be a good outcome.

As a citizen of this country, he is entitled to apply for social housing in any county he wishes to live in. He is not just a citizen of Cavan.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,572 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

if they start dishing out houses to cavan people in waterford, where does it leave people from waterford who need a house?

if they start dishing out houses to baileborough people in ballyjamesduff, where does it leave people from ballyjamesduff who need a house?

if they start dishing out houses to people from the ashford estate, in the woodlands estate, where does that leave people from the woodlands estate who need a house?

give me patience.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,752 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

He can apply, but he will be refused, unless he most recently worked in Waterford. He will be referred to the place where he most recently worked or lived.

Supporting disturbed people to do geographicals is simply a waste of resources, and no favour to the people in the long term.

That's not the way the social housing system works in Ireland...

Just on a sidenote regarding this gentleman, there were a number of people from Cavan including his former neighbours who commented on a recent News & Star story about him indicating that not all is at it seems with him and he is in fact a wealthy man.

I don't think you know how the social housing system works in Ireland.

Maybe we should throw all that non-Dublin people off the Dublin housing lists and send them back to apply in their own counties only.

I presume you're against immigrants being housed in Waterford as well, if Waterford housing should only be for Waterford people?

If a person has most-recently worked in Dublin, or is working there now, they will be allowed to register there. Otherwise, yes, they will be referred back to their own county to register. That is how social housing works.

Define "your own county"?

Just had a, quick look at the housing application form and nowhere does it state "you must already be living or working in xxxxx" to qualify.

• Advertisement

You presumed wrong and that's a completely different area but nice attempt at trying to spin it off point..

I'd recommend reading up on social housing eligibility criteria.

I don't need to.

It's all defined already in https://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2011/si/84/made/en/print

Sections 5 and 6.

Though councils do have an option to "conduct a social housing assessment in respect of that household on receipt of an application" in most places,there is operational policy that the results of the assessment will be to refer people back to where they have local connections.

This is to reduce waste of mental health services: the service in one place learns how to work with a person, they don't being asked to take responsibility for the consequences of their actions, so they feck off off elsewhere (known in some places as "doing a geographical").

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Lady Lane has an independent living facility and its only 65 or 75 a week. Its a wonder he hasnt been offered that or a similar facility. There may well be more to this story.

How is it different? So are you now saying you're okay with immigrants being housed in Waterford, just not Irish people from other counties? Which is it?

I am already familiar with social housing eligibility criteria. There is no condition that says someone must already be living and working in a county to apply for social housing there.

But grand so, next time a thread comes up on social housing and its being argued that all social housing needs to be moved outside of Dublin to rural areas, I'll quote the pair of you as references that it's not possible to qualify for social housing outside your "own county". (Unless you're an immigrant).

Save Draft

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Just read legislation that I linked to. It's really not that difficult, and the rules are very clear.

I don't need too. I know people living and working in Dublin who have been accepted onto housing lists for Kildare, and others for Meath.

I know others who have transferred from Dublin lists to councils in other counties.

Still waiting on the definition of what is "own county".

The definition is very clearly stated in the legislation that I linked to. It also explains how those other scenarios you list can come about.

I'm not gonna copy and paste it for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭jimbev

I think we're missing the bit where it said

"Sold his home "

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭juno10353

We do not know the background..... gambling debts for example. Who knows. For whatever reason, this elderly man is facing into winter living in a car park. Whatever the housing regulations, it would be good to know that some one or some organisation is linking in with him and checking that his health and mental health are okay. Let him not become another statistic.

• Advertisement

He is there most days and seems very approachable so maybe those above (including myself here) who are most curious about his situation could drop by and have a conversation with him and decide / make ultimate judgement then….? From what’s reported to date above though suggests that there is obviously a lot ‘more to the story’……why did he sell his house in Cavan (gambling debts, separation/divorce etc etc) why did he choose waterford to ‘camp’ in…..is there a perceived leniency about the housing list down here, does he have family/connection to the area……etc etc…..and most importantly is he paying for his parking….?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement