Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wild Roots 2023 Festival 2nd - 5th June.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Scooby rot

Sorry these were posted too!! You are absolutely right @bodhrandude re Jenny Greene. Still a bit disappointing especially after both headliners pulled last year too! I'm hopeful that they still will have the two blurred acts as surprise special guests! I won't get up there till Friday perhaps the cat will be out of the bag on site earlier!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭Le Bruise

Having surprise special guests seems counter intuitive to good ticket sales, and they appear to be trying really hard to sell tickets!

@Le Bruise It would seem so. Unless the bands agreement stated they will only play if the attendance is above a certain level? I don't think it's revenue driven either. Just strange! Anyway,there is still a fair bit to see and do if you couple it with the activities!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,423 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

The Wild Roots 2023 Site Map.

Post edited by bodhrandude on

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

Just so you know the Gramophone Disco won't be in the wooden church this year, it seems to be over payment issues which weren't resolved so they're giving it a miss, although I did hear that some of the Haunt crowd is gong to be at Body&Soul so I'm looking forward to seeing them there.

• Advertisement

Well that's me packed up and recharged everything, bringing my bodhran too, so you'll catch me at the sessions hopefully in the wooden church. Have my taxi booked for 9.30 to Oranmore train station and onto Ceannt for the bus to Sligo and then a cab to the festival site. I don't like doing Boards on the phone so won't be back till after the festival again. Anyways have a good one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭6541

Anyone know, what's the story with bringing in booze ?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,791 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Official stance I believe is that only those weekend camping, and not general weekend / day ticket, holders can bring in booze. And weekend camping can only bring in booze on first entry.

Last year, I went Friday/Saturday and chanced my arm with a few cans and while initially being told I couldn't bring them in, was told to go on my way and put them in a plastic glass.

I'd say bars lost a fair bit as was never much of a queue when I did go up - but drink options were limited enough (pints especially - Rockshore Lager/Cider, Guinness if I remember right).

So I wouldn't be surprised if they were stricter this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭kfc1

Anybody able to give me a rough idea of what time Rudimental would be on at on Sat?

Main Stage headliners were all 10:15pm last year (as below), so I'd imagine similar.

Amazed no stage times yet.. maybe tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,141 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

To those who attented last year and camped, how long a walk is it from the car park?

Thanks!

Also - anyone know any shelter against the elements ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭endainoz

Bring a parasol. In all seriousness though, I'm pretty sure there's plenty of nice mature trees on site.

Last year Jenny Greene stood in for James Morrison and was on stage playing belters at about half nine! No app this year for stages and times unfortunately! Its fairly open, there were no tents to shelter in. The site is quite compact, I'm in a camper and the campervan park was off-site. I think the car park was nearer about 500mtrs from the entrance. Thankfully the campervans are on site this year! Nearly there, can't wait to be cracking a can on Friday!

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭TenPicnics

There was none last year but we had amazing sunny weather for it. I don't know if they have any covered area/stage/bar this year, but looks like the weather might help the festival out again if they don't.

Anyone know about the comedy at this ? What comedians are performing ?

Sorry no idea on the comedy line up! I don't think they have announced anyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭dam099

Kind of looks that way but weirdly there is a comedy tent on the map and it looks to be in a different location from last year.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,887 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

John Digweed has pulled out due to illness.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,141 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Enjoy the festival to whoever is going, fantastic weekend for it. Unfortunately the crowds look a bit sparse going by their Instagram stories.

Site looking great, but toilet situation is ridiculous!

Handful of portaloos on far side of Main Stage and then back towards Camping Area.

No urinals.. the long queues were essentially encouraging people to piss anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Looks well organised and laid out, can't see how it is financially viable with the numbers they get through the gates though?

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭TenPicnics

I didn't go this year, had fun last year despite very, very poor line-up. Back then, with the pandemic over, the incredibly good weather & positive approach from everyone, organisers and punters, it worked and it was a very friendly if low-key festival. I hoped this year they'd plan for normal Irish festival weather by having at least one stage in a marquee, but seems the Wild Roots luck as regards sunshine held, and I dont know if anything changed as regards the stages. Hope there was a bit more for people music-wise this time and that overall it went well, it's a great location so hopefully it will survive.

Just me checking, got back home at 4 today, a smashing weekend with hot sunny weather, maybe too hot at times, the wooden church had the most shade, similar to Scandinavian wooden buildings, with slats to let in air. Will give a bit more of a review later when I get back from my session, a short cap, Friday was pretty good Inspiral Carpets put in a decent performance, it went more rave for then with the last four DJs in District 22, some hard pumping techno and then some nice Euro Trance, ending the night with Sasha and more of a trance vibe. Saturday wasn't brilliant for main stage acts but caught a bit of Hazey Haze's set, enjoyable comedic Limerick rap and I think the church delivered for the wide range of folk music on offer especially some wild trad also visited the District 22 for a few sets, heard some amazing DnB in the vicinity of Toxic Dogs courtesy of District 22. Got an interview with Peter Vamos, one of the people behind the Toxic Dogs stage and their adventures. Sunday was pretty decent too Jiggy were brilliant, also a sweet performance from the lovely Ailbhe Reddy, some great acts in the church and Wild West stage. Agree with another poster about the toilet situation.

It was a great weekend.

Yesterday afternoon around Wild West for Paddy Casey was almost too hot though.

Lots of good music - Daithi was particularly excellent yesterday evening, and Rudimental were headline act for weekend for me - good fun, high energy etc.

Bars were well ran bar a beer shortage on Saturday and Sunday night which must have meant good business there.

Loo situation definitely needs addressing.

Roll on next year!

• Advertisement

Hi All, Hope you enjoyed the weekend as much as I did. The West was most certainly awake the weekend! The sun shone the whole time again this year. Much like the others here I felt the Toilet situation was a bit ridiculous. The lack of a free flow for alcohol may have helped the bars but it was disappointing as last year I had no issues. This aside it was fairly well organised. I've got a feeling they maybe struggling financially though! The lack of a wild west stage headliners on late night was obvious. The billed acts were moved as they are smaller playing in the church or in case of string ninjas(who were excellent by the way) playing the cornerstone. No Friendly Fires (blurred out act) and the 'Special Guest' was Strangeboy who was hardly a top on the bill act. There were good crowds Saturday and Sunday on day tickets so I am hoping it survives. The site was laid out better than last year for campervans and the showers were an excellent addition not to mention free! There were some great djs to dance the night away to in District 22. Jenny Greene played another blinder of a set on Sunday but Rudamental on Saturday were the highlight for me! The new Aperol Spritz area also seemed popular! A quick trip to Strandhill to recover a little before treking home last night. Sligo you never disappoint!

Advertisement