Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wild Roots 2023 Festival 2nd - 5th June.

Options
  • 29-09-2022 11:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,423 ✭✭✭✭

Just got an email there about early birds going on sale and the first round of acts getting announced in October.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,029 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I've got an email today saying the round one line up announcements will be on 30th November at 11am.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,029 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

As promised. A few repeats from last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,352 ✭✭✭Fiona

Has anybody ever been here before? Easy to get to? Would be driving down from Navan I see they do have parking.

Is the glamping area worth it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

Been last year. Fantastic festival and very laid back. There's plenty of parking but it's about 10 min walk.

We were lucky with the weather - it was 23/24°C all weekend. But there's no wooded area or no tent. It's all outdoors.

Lineup seems very similar to last year. I think 6 of those acts played last year. I might switch it up next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,423 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

This festival needs some more names and have at least to get two more headliners, hopefully we might get an announcement soon.

• Advertisement

And the festival has some new names with Sasha and Digiweed and Inspiral Carpets among others.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭Dreamweapon

ARXX are an interesting addition. Building a bit of buzz at the moment and touring Ireland in April: https://singularartists.ie/show/arxx/

Big on the all mouth and trousers scene

Just updating the current poster as it keeps disappearing or expiring.

I don't know why it keeps happening, every time I post the lineup the poster disappears something to do with the Facebook link expired or something. Anyway this is the poster from website. This is less than two months away, do we not need two other headliners to sit alongside Rudimental, maybe they're having trouble finding acts. Now I hear they are selling tickets where you can bring someone for free and are offering free rail tickets to festival goers, so maybe some trouble there off loading tickets.

Edit: Just seen in another poster that Digweed is the Friday main stage headliner so someone has still to be announced for Sunday night.

Post edited by bodhrandude on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭El Director

Hi all. Enjoyed this festival last year I must say. Hopefully they are shifting tickets because it's great to see different parts of the country getting the oppertunity to have a festival close to home. One thing that the organisers have not communicated yet but I believe they should is that they, "...will have much more covering this year year for both rain and sun protection".

Hopefully this includes a tented stage!

• Advertisement

The poor Wild Roots thread seems to be getting very little traffic here, with just over 5 weeks away I wonder if there will be changes on site, will they get their hands on a marquee or two as the only covered stage last year wasn't even in the lineup, The Gramophone Disco aka The Haunt. If the weather does turn that could be a dangerously crowded place. Anyways for anyone interested in this event here's my review of the first one last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭recyclops

I only picked up Friday tickets there the other day mainly to see Zutons and Inspiral carpets, The Buy one get one free offer is to good to turn down tbh. Looking forward to it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭Le Bruise

Inspiral Carpets will be brilliant. A real blast from the past!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,797 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Two hidden names on Saturday appear to be Leah Kate (website confirms it) and Friendly Fires.

Seen Friendly Fires a couple of times at Glastonbury and Metropolis in the RDS a few years ago, and they're brilliant fun!

Was at it last year on Friday and Saturday and was great fun, but weather was a belter so that helped!

Weather dependent, might just grab some day tickets again this year.

EDIT: Actually, they've already confirmed Leah Kate also.

Yep seen Friendly Fires a few times at different festivals, I think they subbed the National at EP 2010 as well.

Edit: Nope was wrong it was Mumford & Sons they subbed, with The National following Mumford.

Post edited by bodhrandude on

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Scooby rot

Looking forward to see what the Sunday headliner is! Any ideas? Wonder will it be one of the acts that cancelled last year? Hope the weather is similar to last year! I see the campervan site has moved closer which is a welcome change, the entrance to the camper van site was a mess last year after Thursday's rain!

Was only James Bay that cancelled last year, right? As that resulted in Jenny Greene being bumped up.

He has a gap anyways, so could be him..

Both James Morrison and The Kaiser Chiefs cancelled. James Bay replaced the latter but Morrison pulled out the morning of his slot. Jenny Green put on a great show to replace, she really stood up to the mark! Maybe Kodaline or The Coronas

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭LilNiall

The blurred Saturday act looks like Friendly Fires to me.

This actually looks pretty decent but appears to be struggling with the Bring a Friend for Free & free train travel offerings. I hope it goes ahead.

I think they've announced they have sold 80%! I'd say that's 80% of the capacity including bring a friend for free. I really enjoyed last year, the weather was scorching on Saturday. As @bodhrandude said in his review I would wonder if it would have been as enjoyable in the rain considering there is no tents! Still no rumblings on the Sunday night "Special Guest"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭lc180

Kinda mad they haven't announced the Sunday special guest yet. It's only a couple weeks away and they aren't giving themselves must opportunity to get a bump in ticket sales.

Same with Friendly Fires on the Saturday night. Just announce it so people going can actually listen to them in advance.

Special Guest may not be announced til the day tbh.

Can only assume Friendly Fires have a tour coming up, and embargoed... but cutting it fine indeed!

For those who don't know them, I hugely recommend them.

I've just seen the Midnight Sun Festival in Stornoway, Scotland has been cancelled due to lack of ticket sales! Looked like a decent line up to me, I wonder will Wild Roots have any of these as the Sunday headliner?(John Fogerty is playing the 3arena so he would be very doubtful)

Supposedly its an electronic headliner for Sunday, Orbital would be phucking amazing. Just joined Spotify today so will try and put up a playlist at some point, just wondering if anyone has done a playlist for it so far. I'll be on site on Tuesday at some point doing festival road safety, keeping it one way so to speak. Looking forward to meeting some of you.

Don't know.. are Orbital a bit big for it? But that'd be amazing!

Considering that Phil Hartnoll played that really small event a few years back in Galway, they could be a possibility, definitely a step up from George Fitzgerald last year. Orbital headlined Forbidden Fruit before and that was only 10,000 capacity whilst WR was 12,500 last year. I'm just rambling though, hopefully not Dave Guetta or Calvin Harris anyways.

I am wondering are they going to piggy back on Forbidden Fruit and have Annie Mac? Orbital would be amazing but I see they just finished touring in early April which may mean the plan to take the summer out. Calvin Harris is playing Premavera on Saturday and then Ibiza the following Friday, can't imagine he'd be too hot on a weekend in Sligo rather a couple of days on the white island! Guetta is more likely as he is onstage in Belfast on the 10th! Either way I see the weather forecast isn't too bad for the BH weekend, good can drinking weather!

Well no Friendly Fires or Special Guest in this post!!!

Lack of Friendly Fires seems strange.. some last minute hitch in negotiations maybe!

Could be still a Special Guest I suppose but 5 acts across the day on the Main Stage looks to be a norm.

Daft Punk Tribute first up on Main Stage on Friday is a strange choice..

• Advertisement

They're still pushing that line up poster on Facebook with the blurred names, so Jenny Greene is Sunday main stage headliner, a bit of a lazy booking compared to how she closed the main stage last year, but perhaps the special guest fell through. I notice they don't feature other stages the Corner Stage with the trad groups, they should get a mention and all the different DJs who play the Gramophone venue, they should also get a mention.

Advertisement