Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Under-20's 2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

Yea fair enough. Its hard to see what it could be then.. he is really killing it in AIL at a young age.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Turner plays like he's way bigger. He's fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭kita99

I think that IRFU need to invest foreign living players regardless who are IQ or NIQ to win over France. Is IRFU do it sireously or effectively? Ireland needs some boys like Tuilagi. Maybe he did't select country. Samoa is sinking island rapidly, so he must work at any place to get money for his family. In other countries, young potential rugby player want to be Ireland members like Mack Hansen. If Irfu will continue to depend on only players from 'School', Ireland U20 absolutely do not win over France forever. Is it no need?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,195 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I somehow doubt Posolo Tuilagi decided to move to France at age 3 to earn money for his family of international rugby players.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,674 ✭✭✭nerd69

100% his dad famously played for perpingian which is why hes there

If your idea is i.port a load of islanders in the hope they have kids who are monsters i guess you could fund that

• Advertisement

Tualatin didn't win that final. The entire side were a step above everyone else. Tualatin was not great in that match and he stood out to me because of his size. The backline and the back row were superb.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,106 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

The guys that stood out for France were almost exclusively the guys that have been starting for their Clubs senior teams most of this season.

That experience was a massive differentiator.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,195 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Gazzotti had only the three starts in ProD2 and was, I think, player of the tournament at only 18. But by and large the team had tons more top-level gametime than anyone else (all other teams combined I think).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Of the starting team, only the props had no senior pro experience.

I think Juneau was the best player this year. Chessum and Gleeson are close behind.

• Advertisement

I thought I’d put together as definitive a pool as possible for next year’s u20. I sourced from the NTS list (everyone just finished last year of school), anyone eligible in an academy, anyone called up to the u19 camp this last Christmas, and anyone who played in japan/france games this year. I’ve almost certainly made mistakes so corrections welcome.

The labels are self explanatory. NTS is basically the sub academy. Anyone without any label was called into a camp but isn’t on an NTS list. However that list came out last October so some of those guys or all of them might now be on there in actuality.

TH Prop

• Bishop - IQ 
    • Calvey - Munster (u19) (NTS)
    • Deay - Leinster
    • Longstaff - Ulster (NTS)
    • Mullan - Leinster (u19) (NTS)
    • Sparrow - Leinster (NTS)

LH Prop

• Boyd - Ulster (Acad) 
    • Fitzgerald - Munster (u19) (NTS)
    • Hopkins - Connacht (NTS)
    • Howard - Leinster 
    • O Riordan - Leinster 

Hooker

• D Sheahan - Munster (NTS)
    • Smyth - Leinster (NTS)
    • Solomon - Ulster (Acad) 
    • Walker - Ulster/IQ (Acad) 

Lock

• Colreavy - Leinster
    • Gleeson - IQ
    • Hopes - Ulster (Acad) 
    • McKillop - Ulster (NTS)
    • K Novak - Munster (NTS)
    • D Novak - Munster (NTS)
    • O Connell - Munster (Acad)
    • O Connor - Leinster 
    • O Loughlin - Leinster 
    • Spicer - Leinster (u19) (NTS)

Back Row

• Bamber - Connacht (u19) (NTS)
    • Brigg - Ulster (Acad) 
    • Edogbo - Munster (NTS)
    • Flynn - Connacht (NTS)
    • Gleeson - Munster  (Acad) 
    • Lee - Ulster 
    • Molloy - Connacht (NTS)
    • Murphy - Munster (u19) (NTS)
    • J Sheahan - Munster (NTS)
    • Stevens - Ulster (Acad)
    • Usanov - Leinster (u19) (NTS)
    • Ward - Ulster (NTS)
    • Whelan - Leinster 
    • Wilson - Leinster 

• Armstrong - Ulster (u19) (NTS)
    • Brophy - Leinster (NTS)
    • Coffey - Leinster (NTS)
    • Farthing - Connacht (u19) (NTS)
    • O’ Riordan - Munster (NTS)

• Hicks - Munster (Acad) u19 
    • Murphy - Leinster (NTS)
    • Naughton - Leinster (NTS)

Centre

• Berman - Leinster (NTS)
    • De Klerk - Leinster 
    • Ellerby - Ulster (NTS)
    • Gavin - Connacht (NTS)
    • Kritzinger - Leinster (NTS)
    • Larke - Leinster (NTS)
    • O Donovan - Munster (u19) (NTS)
    • Sheridan - Leinster 

Back 3 

• Colbert - Leinster 
    • Condon - Munster 
    • Farrell - Leinster u19 (NTS)
    • Fenelon - Leinster (NTS)
    • Fox - Connacht 
    • Graham - Ulster (Acad)
    • Grant - Connacht (u19) (NTS)
    • Kenny - Ulster (Acad) 
    • Kiely - Munster (NTS)
    • McFarlane - Ulster (Acad) 
    • McLaughlin - Leinster (NTS)
    • O’ Connor - Munster (Acad) 
    • O’ Dwyer - Munster (u19) (NTS)
    • Pepper - Munster 
    • Treacy - Leinster 

My main takeaways after doing that is that next year should be a good year for ulster, and that TH prop, and back three look strong to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 tindjim1990

Back three and backrow look very strong, halfbacks look like a big step down on what we had this year. I hope Japan u19s were an unusually strong outlier year for them and caught a cold ireland with limited time and cohesion in those couple games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

A bit of both, maybe? They only had a few days to train because of cup finals and it showed. In comparison, Japan looked very well organised after weeks of being together and their line speed put us in bother. Their u20s were poor this year but I thought they showed some incredible attacking rugby at times, they’re doing something right I think.

We’ll definitely improve imo, we had Italy and wales fairly well beat at u18 level with this group which should count for something. Big losses to France are telling though. We were missing Gleeson, O'Connell, Gavin and Sparrow against Japan who will all probably start next year.

Post edited by Locke_Lamora on

I’m interested in seeing Hicks. In the academy at 18 from a club background is some going. It’s actually the u19s i’m most interested in as well as the ulster guys. Murphy from Munster, the back row and Farrell from Leinster, the winger, are both exciting players apparently.

For Ulster, we have 10 academy players by my count eligible for this team. I would expect all but maybe walker to make it. I’d expect McKillop and Longstaff as well. That would be close to our highest representation in years.

Longstaff will be behind at least the two Leinster TH's, surely? There are a few similar quality backrowers with Gleeson being the only certainty, but McKillop being able to play in the second row as well might be a point in his favour.

I think our squad representation will be up, but don't think there will be too many in the 1XV. Three is my guess, with McFarlane and Hopes benching.

Behind Sparrow and Mullan? yea possibly. But three THs get in the squad.

I think Hopes starts with McConnell. Its hard so say who starts but just getting 9-12 in a 33 man squad would be good.

I was thinking he'd be behind Sparrow and the lad that started against Japan, Deay I think.

9-12 is a bit much isn't it? Munster and Leinster both beat us in the interpros last year. Boyd, Hopes, Kenny, McFarlane and Stevens are the only near certainties imo, everyone else 50/50 or 60/40.

Obviously things can change, but Deay isn’t on the NTS list and Mullan and Sparrow are. That doesn’t necessarily mean anything. And i guess the u19 camp last december is closer than the NTS list to now.

You are probably right though.

As far as I know there is a lot of central input into who does or doesn’t get into an academy. I’ve always thought that academy inclusion is basically a guaruntee of inclusion as Murphy himself is involved to some extent with everything from the NTS to academy decisions. Academy contracts are irfu contracts not provincial. I also can’t really remember a fit academy player who didn’t make the u20s.

However, it was a really big academy class so its a good test of the theory.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 tindjim1990

Farrell looked quite good for the u18 7s recently, hope size doesnt factor against him as the levels increase and academy spots are up for grabs, Murphy for Munster looks like a big mobile unit - will be interesting to see what position he ends up not sure what his physical stats are he could be a 6/8. The second rows and no.6 could all be rotated around between O'connell, Mcillop, Hopes and Murphy., 8. is clearly locked down as Gleeson's - But 7 could be a shoot out between 5 or 6 guys as theres a bunch of lads at roughly the same level there.

• Advertisement

Ronan Foxe wasn't on the published NTS list either and ended up favoured over an academy player. Deay wouldn't have started two games if he wasn't in the coaches thinking, I imagine there is constant re-assessment of players throughout the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭typhoony

Will be interesting to see what they do with Spicer, having a big unit in the 2nd row at u20's level is a big advantage.

Longstaff did start one of the game against france. Can’t find the team sheet for the other one.

You feel very strongly about Deay and honestly i have no real idea so im happy to pencil him in.

The one thing i would say is that they don’t blend in u18s (u19s next year) usually until next year so its possible that mullan and calvey have something to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭randomname2005

Not sure I agree with this. I don't think his performance impacted the outcome (France always likely to win) but probably the score.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭typhoony

I thought the other big unit in the Belvo 2022 schools cup team in the 2nd row was actually a better player than Spicer, Eddie Rees I think it was who had a few games in the AIL for Clontarf last year, but I don't think he got picked up by any of the academys

Wyse should be involved and compete for the 1 shirt with Boyd. I'm not sure if there's any locks at Leinster that will crack the 23. Colreevy is eligible? There's another lad from Newbridge that is rated. Can't remember his name! It seems like the pack next year will have a good mix from the provinces.

I don't feel any particular way about him tbh, only seen two games. Selfishly, I hope Longstaff makes it because we are in dire need of serviceable props coming through and we've just taken in two props who didn't play for Ireland u20's into the academy.

Just seen the interpro fixture schedule for this year:

Seems like a change from the previous few years where all the u18 games seemed to be held at the same venue down south. A welcome change imo, I quite liked attending these previously, although the IRFU were generally pretty good at posting highlights.

Seems like there's a change in the actual matches as well - no game against the IQ side for the u18 schools, instead playing our u19's. The u18 game against Connacht is listed as a 'friendly' whereas there are two games each against Leinster and Munster, so I think that means the schools side is playing an extra game than previously, which should be beneficial.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,382 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

There was an Academy vs. AIL Select yesterday at Gibson Park - anybody any ideas how it all went?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

That changed last year. It was back to home/away for 18s interpros. Hope they move back to the one venue. Was very good to see all games/teams across a week in one venue. A different venue to limerick. Could brihn it to sportsground/Belfast as well

Iq used to have 19s as well as 18s play he provinces anyway

18s game against Connacht for schools is a Friendly as Connacht only play the youths interpros. Shame we are seeing more and more players listed in clubs squad as with one of the schools though.

The schools have played 2 games v Munster and leinster before as well

Advertisement