Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Under-20's 2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

I’m excited to see Irvine play. Unlucky for J Sheahan but he has next year. I saw somewhere that Moloney is injured but can’t find it.

Is Clein a hooker? I don’t remember him from u18/u19 squads? Also excited to see oliver play. He is quite highly rated i heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Klein was in comp. yes is a hooker. didnt play munster

virgin media confirmed theyve secured rights to show 19 games including all of irelands matches

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭RAKM

Will they be on the main channels or Virgin More or Sports Extra?

all irish games on virgin media two and the player

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭RAKM

Thnx for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭typhoony

I don't think power is going to be an issue with this crop of u20's, looking at the airport photos a good few of them have bulked up since u20's Six Nations. The connacht centre must have been told bench press for 4 months solid

• Registered Users Posts: 9,632 ✭✭✭nerd69

Looking forward to this now. England should be a grudge match for them also

• Registered Users Posts: 16,709 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Team is out for Saturday's game Vs England.

Really like the look of that backrow. Although I thought Mangan was a second row. He's very dynamic so is probably in the Baird mould of lock/flanker.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

Surprised gleeson not starting, an eye on oz next week?

• Advertisement

Good side, but on the backrow, I thought Gleeson was the best player in it during the 6N, so surprised to see him on the bench.

Other moves are Max Clein displacing Danny Sheahan as sub hooker, and effectively Charlie Irvine taking the role of Jacob Sheahan (Liam Molony injured I believe) with O'Connell starting. Matty Lynch ahead of Harry West, and he's retained Gunne-Cawley as 1-2 at 9, despite Jack Oliver's return to the squad.

Good side though all told; we've a poor enough record against England at U20s, especially at RWCs, so a win here would be very welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,632 ✭✭✭nerd69

Over the last 5 or so years theve only beaten us once though i think so we ehould be favourites

Gleeson for me was standout player in 6 nations, no point resting him if they lose to England

Mangan was ok but I thought he was prone to mistakes in 6 nations

• Registered Users Posts: 8,142 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Irvine is very talk. Easily 6ft 8in. Along with both of the starting lads and Mangan, our line out should function well.

Gleeson will add serious ballast in the closing stages.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭johnh6767

Top team and good to see consistency with key players on the pitch , massive game ahead 48 hours to go , surprised also with Gleeson but it’s great he’s there for a pivotal last 20 minutes and isn’t injured. Great squad!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Surprised by Gleeson not starting alright, anyone have any background on whats happening? Tactical? Injury?

Did mcnabney feature in the 6N?

Yeah, McNabney started every game at 6. Gleeson started every game at 8, and Mangan was typically in the second row. Change here is bringing Evan O'Connell in to start, and moving Mangan back to blindside.

I thought Gleeson was just behind Prendergast in terms of being most impressive player in the 6N.

McNabney featured in 6Ns also played 20s last year

I would guess its tactical about Gleeson. 4 more games in next 2 weeks. loads of game time

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Any sign of the English team? Chessum and Cunningham in the row?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,142 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Should be a great match. I hope it's posted on you tube.

C'mon da buachaills

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭RuPi

I would say that Irish selection is based around lineout as from memory Chessum got after their lineout a bit, so having the two second rows and then Mangan and McNabney gives a bit more height. Mangan is more of a six moving forward I would imagine.

It’s on World Rugby You Tube , and also Virgin 2

I wonder how much this is rotation when it comes to gleeson and oliver. I thought gleeson was the best player in the 6 nations. I’ve heard that people are reasonably excited about oliver. More so than Coughlan.

Irvine isn’t really like for like with sheahan. He’s a 6’8 lock.

Max Clein is interesting. Not in the NTS to my knowledge so a bit outside the normal track. Presumably munster would be happy to take Clein this year and Sheahan next year if they are good enough.

I’m a little surprised not to see Smyth in this squad but possibly he’s doing his leaving?

I meant Irvine took Sheehan’s place on the bench as effectively O’Connell came in for Gleeson (with Mangan moving).

No idea on whether this is rotation driven or not, but would have expected Oliver to at least make the bench ahead of Cawley if he was going to be in the frame to start against Australia.

On Stephen Smyth - he would have been doing his LC as just finished in Kilkenny College. He’s also a very recent convert to hooker - think within the last 2 years, before that played in the backrow.

Ah got you.

I’m surprised on Oliver. I didn’t think Cawley looked that good to keep an academy guy out. I guess he could still make ulster academy. Everyone else seems good at 9.

I’d expect Smyth to start next year. He looks like a bit of a freak athlete for hooker.

Excited to see O’Connell, bit we saw in the 6N he had intent written all over him!

6,7,8 combo could be electric , & Cawley is impressive! Great energy and a strong number 2. It’s a long tournament, Oliver & rest of squad will get time also I’m sure but not surprised to see Cawley hold his bench position for England

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭RogerThis

We beat them well in the 6 nations, even before the red card. Chessum is a class bit of stuff all the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Quitelife

Interesting to see where the 30 players on panel hail from.

16 Leinster

6 Munster

4 Ulster

4 Connacht

Advertisement