Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Protecting yourself against the impending Sinn Fein "Wealth" grab

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Ham_Sandwich

Sinn Fein are only going to grab money off the landlords and the bankers ordinary people will be looked after with housing health and education they will make this budget look stingey wait until you see

• Registered Users Posts: 27,248 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Is that a wind-up?

Seriously, you can't believe that.

The only wealth tax in Ireland is the LPT, yet SF oppose it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭straight

Sinn féins wealth grab according to Eddie Hobbs

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CzllLeIshMT/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,785 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

This sums up SF's wealth "grabbing" quite well IMO.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,880 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

No. Taxation isn't about grabbing wealth its about investing in public services.

Mad how anti tax people always want roads and libraries and water and hospitals and schools but just never their taxes to pay for them.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭hymenelectra

How hard does one have to "work" with the likes of "rental investments", note on plurality, during an unprecedented near decade long housing crisis?

Maybe when you're on the way to the airport you might give a homeless person a euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,781 ✭✭✭amacca

This is one time I haven't found hobbs to be a charlatan ....

• Registered Users Posts: 28,856 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

......hahahaha hobbs! seriously! fcuking hell!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,856 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

...id say theres a good chance if folks do decide to leave eddie, they probably wont be bringing assets such as property and land with them there!

....oh and its not a foregone conclusion that sf will lead the next government, theres actually still a chance of another ffg lead one, or a hung dail, so relax there eddie, seriously!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

SF and FF would be at each others throths with in a year it will be interesting to see how it works out.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,488 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Ask him how the investments he was touting in Cape Verde worked out? Hobbs lost all credibility a long time ago, Cape Verde, Detroit, Renua and tumbled right down the anti-vax rabbit hole in the pandemic. He's a lost cause.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,264 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

I hope, for your own sake, that you are joking.

Nah...it would be more interesting if it just didnt happen.

Indeed.

SF a long way off still from getting into govt.

Its really up to FF who they decide to partner with.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,512 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

At least we have euros and won't have to worry about hyper inflation.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 6,781 ✭✭✭amacca

Oh agreed, I have no regard for the man after listening to his nonsense for years however in the case of SF I'd have zero faith in them too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭Shoog

NAMA showed that the property class has the government by the balls. I do not predict any change soon so I also do not predict that SF will be able to deliver on their promises to solve the housing crisis.

As such it will fairly much be business as usual under a SF led government.

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭m2_browning

... And all the developers washed their debts away with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,505 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Anyone who votes for SF deserves the outcomes that will come in my opinion.

Those who say "they can't be any worse" - oh it can be a whole lot worse.

There was an article in the Irish Times today saying the other parties should support a SF minority government and sit back.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

SF plan to increase stamp duty on commercial property to 12.5%, hoping that will divert labour and capitall to residential construction.

Not a bad idea considering there is still a huge surplus of commercial buildings and a building trade that only want to build more.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,466 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Previous commercial permissions are now being re-submitted for residential or to include residential components. This is the same level of thinking as taxing text messages while also killing what's left of commercial developments.

If you increase stamp duty on commercial property to 12.5%, big investors won't want to purchase commercial property, it will be cheaper to build new commercial property than purchase and refurbish. Older stock will be left go derelict. So perverse outcome is more labour and capital diverted to new commercial construction and continuing degradation of city centres.

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Dtoffee

SF gained power and are growing their suport in the North...... how can such an anti-wealth party do that?

All this hysteria is based on fear of loss and the very reason FF/FG has held power to date.

There is NO evidence that SF will kill the economy and do any worse that the current lot and their Capital Gains Tax etc.

In my opinion, there is plenty of money to run the country and lower taxes if the quango's and perks were removed ........ FG/FF have spend far too much money on talk shops amongst their mates. Remember the promises to reform the Seanad three years ago following the vote showing 48% wanted to abolish it? well year on year the cost of that same Seanad has gone up and up while we are still talking shop. The new Childrens Hospital seems to be the biggest money pit in the world as every second the price goes up and yet no one asks how are they going to staff it considering the housing crisis in Dublin and the fact that they can't even staff the existing hospitals?

I will vote SF next election, purely because FF/FG have consistently failed in their duty of care to the working prsi people...... the hospital crisis is non stop, the housing crisis is a shamble's of their making and I am sick of hearing the same waffle. For example, 'the Gov has spent X million on the housing crisis' and not one media lackey will ask the obvious question : 'how much of that money was spent on actual bricks and mortar?' because that is what's needed.

Fear of change is what has enabled FF/FG turn politics into Lanigans Ball in this country and I have had enough of the devil I know.

Your first sentence says it all.

Sinn Fein have gained power in the North. They have held the seat in West Belfast for over four decades, turning it into the most deprived region in the UK - pretty much clear and unequivocal evidence that they are anti-wealth.

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭m2_browning

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭Finty Lemon

There is no shortage of money spent on services in Ireland! It is not a case of need more wealth tax needed but a long and difficult look at how that funding is spent. Take health as the primary example, Ireland is 3rd in Europe (just behind France and Germany) on health spend as % of GDP.

The health spending budget has increased from €10 to 18 billion since 2015. The SF outcry is this has been wasted, and to some extent that can be argued. But of the extra €8 billion spent, €6billion of that has gone on salaries alone. The 'wasted money' that they talk about is in the pockets of the health system staff (well earned as it is for the most part).

SF call for more wages for staff but at the same time call for more efficient use of health funding. If they want to drive efficiencies in health spending they will have to tackle the black hole that is salaries. I doubt very much they will have the stomach for that.

They can't have it both ways but as usual they will try.

Post edited by Finty Lemon on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

The idea of having an intellectual dullard like Doherty in charge of the purse strings is sobering.

Advertisement