Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Protecting yourself against the impending Sinn Fein "Wealth" grab

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭m2_browning

People don’t live forever and state takes a large cut on inheritance

• Registered Users Posts: 28,468 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

They won't 'fix' that issue because they know that there's more to tax than income tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,853 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

...people have a tendency to have kids and grandkids etc etc, again, keep allowing people to accumulate wealth, results in rising social dysfunctions, including crime, mental health issues, addiction problems etc etc, america is a fine example if you leave such polices run for extended periods of time, a perfectly safe place to live for all, perfectively stable!

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭hymenelectra

Like, what don't you get about the problems in this country?

You surely must be some part of the current shower in charge of this mess. Nobody could be so willfully ignorant as to what the issue is when "we did X, which is far below what is needed or projected to be needed, but arent we great for doing less than needed?"

No. No you're not great for doing ridiulously less than the bare minimum. And it's worth pointing out.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,502 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Of course, assets are the most expensive items.

They also have to eat, drink, drive, have water, electricity, shop....and we'd get a lot more tax in general if we could actually attract them.

But nope begrudgery and populism has to win in Ireland...

So we'll get SF. In terms of populism it will be FF on steroids just with less competent and qualified individuals running things. They are going to wreck this country. It's going to be magnificent seeing those who vote for them flee in terror when they see the state they'll leave this place in.

Even their prospective Finance Minister, for example, has a conviction for abusing a Garda and is a two time college dropout.

And that's just him - it gets worse as you go through their representatives.

I'm no apologist for the other parties but I can see what's coming if they get in.

I think give them a minority government and let them stew.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,389 ✭✭✭Shoog

Trickle down economics is a fantasy dreamed up by those who benefit, and it's not you or I.

"Respect your better me boy, that the only way".

Done with that flavour of bullshit.

But we don’t live in a state that lets you accumulate wealth

We have one of the most progressive tax systems

We have the most hidden fees and charges for which lower paid avoid

We have high capital gains and extortionate unique tax system on ETFs

We have huge inheritance taxes

Like the saying goes there are two certainties, death and taxes, except taxes get turned up to 11 in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 3,782 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

• Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

I haven't said there aren't problems in Ireland, show me a country without any problems...i'll wait.

I am not part of any "shower", I don't actually live in Ireland full-time, but the few months of the year I am home, the picture you are trying to paint just doesn't exist. You are playing the victim pretty heavy here.

You are painting Ireland as some 3rd world country that is struggling to keep the water on. It is not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

8th on the UN Human Development Index. You’d think we lived in Angola the way some people go on. Too much time being told everything is crap and we need a revolution by Russian sock puppet accounts on Facebook is who I blame.

• Advertisement

I can see what's coming, and anyone with their brain turned on can see all the trends accelerating.

Housing, healthcare, education, transport, all have very serious problems associated. And it isn't that they came out of nowhere, they are in a downward spiral year in and year out.

Depending on your position int his country, things are dire. The obvious worry is that they are getting worse. For example the growing homelessness.

Are we a third world country? No.

But as a country with purported money coming out of its arse, yet more and more going wanting, the third world style of governance is becoming more apt. Call it hyperbole, but its an absolutely insane situation, that the wealthier we are the poorer we are? Come again?

Very, very American. And there isn't anyone about to hold up American society as a great thing to achieve.

The way that successful economies are built is by building a skulled workforce and then ensuring they achieve a standard of living which ensures that they stay to enrich the economy. We succeeded in the first part but failed in the second. We bleed the skilled workers we spent so many resources training because they cannot afford to live at home in the mother country.

The thing that is common to all countries with similar issues is the belief that letting great men create great businesses will solve all economic woes, the great man trickle down economy myth. All it creates is deeply divided societies of resentment and discontent.

Takes way too long. Who can waiting a generation or more to make the big bucks?

Much better to commodify and hyperinflate assets you already own by bringing in pre-grown worker units, thereby killing two birds with the same stone: cheap, exploitable labour, and the siphoning of nationals wealth through the increased cost pressure.

Sure, it throws the future under the bus. But, well, all the moolah today!

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭L.Ball

What does this actually mean?

"Oh sorry you can't get a mortgage, sorry your rent is 3/4 of your wages, sorry you've to wait 18 hours in A&E, sorry your outpaitent appointment was cancelled, sorry your house was burgled and the gardai took 2 hours to get there, sorry the burgler has 90 convictions but he's had a rough time so he'll be getting a suspended sentence, sorry your kids school hasn't enough teachers, sorry the cost of living keeps going up and up.... but looks we're on a list on wikipedia!"

• Registered Users Posts: 17,843 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Sf wealth grab, lol! Aren't ffg thieving over half your salary over a pittance? Literally even the poor people's income , I e 40k is hit with over a fifty percent marginal rate...

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,972 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

This is childish nonsense. Do you think we are really going to slash our tax base and if so what areas of spending will it be taken from?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

I'm blocking up the windows to avoid paying the window tax.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 17,843 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

They could start getting value from money for our spend for a start... won't tax property, thats a token gesture. Huge amounts outside of the tax net, paying as good as nothing in income taxes. Very unusual situation v our European peers, but no doubt, us world leaders at everything, know best...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

I'd almost like him to walk into the finance department only for the GenSec to say welcome minister, here's the books, we actually haven't the cash to do all you say you want to do.

In reality, the thought of it scares me no end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭L.Ball

well seeing as how many members of Sinn Fein still "allegedly" receive tax money from drug dealers they could they expand that to a national scale, big money to be made there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

Young people have always been in the minority in terms of asset ownership.

Young people dont stay young. They get older. Then they accumulate assets.

Thats how its always worked and ever thus shall be.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

Lots of people do have lots of money in Ireland.

You only have to look at key wealth metrics to see that. Record household savings (over a trillion euro) being a key one.

There are some people struggling (when was that ever not the case) but there are plenty of people whom are not struggling at all.

I am not saying things are perfect, but sometimes when i read these doom and gloom assesments, I think of the last time I was out in Dublin on a Thursday night and how the restaurants and bars are packed and the people I knkw and see going on multiple foriegn holidays, buying new cars outright without finance etc.

We live in a democracy only stupid people will vote to make themselves and their kids less better off over a failed ideology pimped by what suspiciously smell like criminals and terrorists who think we have forgotten nor observant of their carry on with drug dealers

All hell will break lose once they start bringing hundreds of thousands of Gazans and have them settle in key constituencies forming little ghettos all to show “solidarity” with a far away band of similarly inclined criminals and terrorists

• Registered Users Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭francois

Hysterical nonsense, they won't be bringing over 100s of 1000s of Gazans

• Registered Users Posts: 40,880 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

When you have one of the largest property developers in the country Johnny Ronan backing SF, you have Mary Lou sympathising on the death of a man who bribed FF with millions you know there is absolutely no prospect of a SF wealth grab 🤣 - Just SF moving economically rightward and becoming another FF cosying upto the builders. I predict a big SF type Galway tent event in a few years.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 40,880 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

SF want to abolish property tax. That is about slashing part of the tax base. Irelands "left" are a joke. In no other country in the world would "left" wing parties be against property taxes.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,972 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Yes that's what they claim but when they have to find a source of funds to plug that and all the other financial holes, they'll soon enter reality

• Registered Users Posts: 27,238 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

I am not so sure about that. Sinn Fein and reality don't fit well together in the same sentence. I look at Sinn Fein and I see Fianna Fail 1977, promise the world to get into power, including cutting taxes, deliver it when they get in, and economically ruin the country for decades.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭SharkMX

A lot of people might actually be better off just stopping working and going on social welfare if SF get in. I know I would be willing to give up the difference in what I get paid (after tax) and what i would get on social welfare for the sake fo having an extra 40hours free time :) At least for a few years anyway. Might be a good idea not to buy a house now, go off and rent somewhere, get fired, go on the scratch. Get the rent paid, fuel allowance, dole, christmas bonus, and anything else I can manage. Then maybe even get the council to buy the house and give it to me for cheap rent (that is optional to pay). Along with any other SF bonanza that might come along for the people who sleep in in the mornings.

Advertisement