Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stephen Kenny in interviews...

Options

Comments

The football is no more entertaining than it was 10 years ago under Trap or in the more recent years O’Neill and McCarthy

How quick people are to forget the 'rabbit-in-the-headlights' fear we used to exhibit when we went up by a goal, never mind when we conceded. Or the relentless drudgery of the BIG not even being able to pass the ball more than 3 times consecutively. The style, manner and quality of our play is infinitely better than it has been in over a decade. Anyone refusing to acknowledge this isn't being objective.

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭erlichbachman

The medical term I believe is "spoofer"

An epitome of the Peter principle

• Registered Users Posts: 20,592 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Your drinking the koolaid,

Kenny does a wonderful trick of making people think possession matter & mean's his team are good ,

The possession is usually passing between the CK, 3 CB's & 2 wing backs & rinse and repeat, It's never progression once it hits midfield so basically its just a time waiting policy ,

Also how many times under his stewardship do we score when we get desperate & his tactic's are thrown out the window and we revert back to direct football ,

How many goals have been scored by defenders under him,

• Registered Users Posts: 24,904 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Stephen Kenny…

his international career..

His first Irish win, came in his 12th game as manager.

He’s been in charge altogether for 29 matches and won 7.

win rate of about 24%

lost against Armenia away and fortunate to beat them at home, lost to…Luxembourg (at home), Finland (at home), drew with Azerbaijan (at home)..

He’s a one trick merchant tactically, always was.. when I watched his Bohs side… ball from keeper..to fullback..to winger..cross… for 90+ minutes… no variation, his Bohs side that won the double though had the players, really good first 11 and plays to cover…and a big man up front so that results could be obtained playing his way…this Ireland side doesn’t and yet he’s still employing these tactics from 20 years ago..it’s piss easy to research, to defend against….

29 matches, won 7… yet nothing changes… not his tactics, not his sound bytes, not the ‘fück how did I land this job’ look on his face…. he never acts bothered, not at the abjectly shîte results, performances, the fact that Irish fans pay huge ticket charges to go see this team of his play…

who has us in this mess ? These dweebs of LOI fans that have been pissing and moaning for years that the league, it’s players and managers have been underrepresented at international level… they haven’t they are just not up to it and neither is Kenny.

most international football managers have a win rate of around 55-60%…. This individual is well off that. He’s well off being able to manage Ireland and the jokers in the FAI are well off from having the ability to run the sport in Ireland, for Ireland..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭chrissb8

It's the Dublin thing of meandering on without getting to the point for a fair bit. It's a lack of being present. It's getting lost in one's own head and spouting every thought leading up to a point without giving thought to whether am I talking a bunch of s***e right now without saying much and is the other person I am talking to receiving the message.

I am sure he has some footballing ideas. But I do think you can tell the measure of a manager from how they are in front of the camera. The good ones can articulate and divulge their point in a cogent, clear manner. That says to me that they are well formed in communicating, thinking and presenting ideas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I couldn’t give a twopenny damn if he was a complete dummy as long as he gets them winning, which he will do given time. Most of these are playing in inferior divisions.

Miracles he can’t do,

I admire your optimism and I hope you are right I really do but I don’t see a manager with a win percentage of just 24%… all of a sudden swinging that stat up to 55-60% which is where he and the team need to be if they are to qualify for tournaments which will be the barometer of success he’s judged on …the media stuff , maybe not the biggest deal but when people are paying good money and time and effort to support the team and he’s coming out with any auld shîte and expecting people to be pacified by pure spoofing basically… he’s making a rod for his own back big time… he’s been given time all be it during a very challenging period in life.. Covid… but the reality is the wins haven’t been there, we’ve been routinely humiliated by far lesser opposition, the tactics are archaic, never a plan B when planning A isn’t working…

was it Einstein or whoever said.. the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results ? That’s what watching this Ireland team is like under Kenny….

• Registered Users Posts: 14,170 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

For most, the issue is that he is a complete dummy and the team aren’t winning. Not a good combination.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,743 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

You keep repeating the same stuff over and over? That would be the definiton of boring repitition.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Kenny out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭Motivator

Two of the best performances I’ve ever seen Irish teams put in came under Trapattoni and Martin O’Neill. France away in 2009, the night of the Henry handball, and Ireland against France in Euro 2016. Two games where Ireland were totally up against it and took the game to them. Funnily enough, we didn’t win either game but for the football that was played they’re two standout games. Germany win at home in 2015, draw with Italy in Bari in 2009 are two other examples of very good footballing performances.

Junior league football is exceptional standard in certain counties in Ireland. My local team has 3 ex league of Ireland players in it, and 5 more who have been on trial with English clubs at various stages. We lost 2 more players to scholarships in US universities this year also. Work situations, family commitments mean there was less players leaving Junior league teams nowadays. Some don’t like to get signed up to 6 month contracts and then go and draw the dole when the season finishes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,978 ✭✭✭pgj2015

France in 2009, the players ignored traps tactics and decided to go at France rather than play the usual crap football trap wanted.

They didnt play well against france in 2016, we gave away 2 awful needless goals.

The Germans should have beaten us well in 2015, they just didnt have their shooting boots on that night, I think we had 1 shot on target which was the goal.

We have had good performances under Kenny, Portugal twice, ukraine away and scotland at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Gusser09

How does stuttering over the line versus Armenia come into it?

What do you mean? Like, what's your actual point that you're trying to make here? Because it obviously has sweet FA to do with the points I made and doesn't address any of them in a coherent manner, so I'm just wondering what exactly it is you're trying to say.........

Do you think we're above that level and should be beating the likes of Armenia comfortably? Are you trying to draw a false parallel between the style of play and the eking out of results, but painfully making a complete balls of it? Do you think we're gonna abandon this newer, revamped, more confident style of play in pursuit of more workman-like performances to grind out 1-0's?

Or, as I suspect, are you simply cherry picking 'embarrassing' results just to paint the team/manager in a bad light, while completely glossing over the fact that every single manager we've ever had has a litany of shocking results against underdogs going back donkeys years?

Do you want to go back to McCarthy drawing nil-all with Georgia?

Or O'Neill's tenure when we were played off the park by Serbia, beaten by the mighty Belarus, before a run where we only scored two goals in 6 competitive games, a run which stretched a full year without a win? The aggregate score in those two matches was 9-2, in case you're wondering.

Would you prefer us to show up at international tournaments and get made a show of like Trap did in in the Euros in 2012?

Staunton got slaughtered by Cyprus, Mick beaten by Iran.....the list goes on. Imagine Staunton inheriting the mess that Kenny did, ffs.

We are a nation who's entire football ethos is based around being the plucky underdog who punches above their weight and takes the odd scalp against the big boys here and there.......which is ironic, seeing how salty everyone gets when we're beaten by a team we "should have beat". You can't cherry pick "bad" results, outliers really, without highlighting the bad results from previous managers. You certainly can't choose a one-off 'poor' result and use that as a counter-argument to "we play a better brand of football now" like you've just pulled the world's greatest 'gotcha' moment out of your arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,653 ✭✭✭elefant

'I admire your optimism and I hope you are right I really do but I don’t see a manager with a win percentage of just 24%… all of a sudden swinging that stat up to 55-60% which is where he and the team need to be if they are to qualify for tournaments which will be the barometer of success he’s judged on'

Well if, as you say, he didn't get a win until his 12th game, then he's at:

7 wins, 6 draws and 4 defeats (all by 1 goal margins) from game 12 onwards. That's a 41% win rate, and 76% win or draw rate, since June last year.

That's not too far off the win percentage you're looking for, and that 17 games includes Portugal, Serbia, Scotland and Ukraine all played twice, and Belgium once - a tough run of fixtures. Seems like we're on the right track.

Time? Couple of years in Mountjoy for impersonating an International football manager is what time he deserves

It could be a bit like what happened with Michael O'Neill. Just one win in his first eighteen games with Northern Ireland, and he took them to an all time low ranking of 129. But they stuck with him and he brought them to an all time high ranking of 20.

With the pool of talent available, small countries tend not to be at the top table for prolonged periods. Like Kenny, O'Neill got his chance by proving himself a good manager in the League of Ireland.

It also included Armenia, Qatar, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Azerbaijan, Andorra and Bulgaria

The only notable win was against an exhausted Scotland team, with other wins coming against Luxembourg, Qatar, Lithuania, Andorra and Azerbaijan

We also failed to win or lost in games against, Qatar, Azerbaijan, Armenia, and Luxembourg

When you actually assess where we are in world football I don't think anyone can honestly say we've made any progress, unless you like passing the ball sideways

Any managerial record is going to include results against lower ranked teams. And North Macedonia beating Germany in a competitive game in Germany, would be a bigger shocker than anything that happpened with Kenny. The more normal outcome would the the 4 - 0 win for Germany in the away fixture.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

A lot of guff but have you any suggestions as to who would do better?

Kenny has introduced a lot of new faces and a pattern of play which will provide well going forward. People seem to always want instant success and can’t wait. 2/3 years is nothing really when you consider that he has to weed out the old and experiment with the new. He will get it right.

How can anybody ask who would do better with a straight face? Seriously?

Kenny is about an average English league 3 level manager, so the question should be who wouldn't do better?

But Kenny's level as a manager isn't even the biggest issue here, what is mostly overlooked here is the quality of players that he can bring in, any decent players with potential to play for Ireland but may have an option to play for England too, what is it that makes a player play for Ireland if they have the two options? that's the manager - and Kenny has the confidence and charisma of a limp mickey, if he was my manager in a warehouse job I'd leave

The only way to make that happen would be to get Gareth Southgate as manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,570 ✭✭✭✭briany

The public attending Ireland's games appear to be behind Kenny, and I think that royally p*sses off a section of the barstoolers. They dearly wish to load the wagons, light the torches, sharpen the pitchforks and run this man out of town, like happened to Kerr, to Staunton and to Trapattoni.

I'm not against giving him another campaign. At this stage, things can't get a whole lot worse. If nothing else, it will put the brakes on people who said that a new playing style needs to be given a chance. Kenny would have had 3+ years to execute his project come the end of the coming Euros campaign. If he fails there, then yeah, I've no problem with him going, and getting back to some nice old two-banks-of-four safe hoofball.

Although he was with the Under 21's for 18 months before, taking the senior job in April 2020 was far from ideal. If people can remember back to Covid starting to impact seriously around that time. The plan was that Mick would stay on, but he jumped ship. In an ideal world he would have had two or three years to set up his regime, not having the chaos of Covid to deal with from the very outset. Teams with an established managerial setup, would be better placed to handle the pandemic.

That's just not true.

The only reason anyone who qualifies for both international teams and chooses Ireland is because they wouldn't get their game for England. End of. Nobody looks at the two countries and says "hmmm, I prefer this manager of the other one, so I'll go with Ireland". Literally nobody.

However we've a long list of lads who just weren't good enough for the England squad and had an Irish granny or two.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭EOQRTL

Couldn't give a sh1t how he talks tbh once he get's results which he obviously isn't.

Agreed, I meant a player who would be on the fringes of making it into the England squad, but who can also be approached to play for Ireland - in such cases its the Ireland manager who would draw the player

And I disagree with that.

When has anyone ever confirmed that's the case? Has anyone ever joined Ireland because of our manager? Has anyone ever made the decision on which country they'd play for based on the manager?

• Advertisement

I hear the Polish, Lithuanian and Nigerian managers are scouting in Ireland for talent. Following up the League of Ireland examples including Eamon Zayed and Roberto Lopes. Nigeria missed out on Ogbene. But to be fair, I remember him not being able to get a game with Cork, and throwing in his lot with Limerick.

Advertisement