Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stephen Kenny in interviews...

Options
  • 24-09-2022 10:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭

I can't put my finger on it but he seems to have some disability. He can't just be a stuttering eejit.

Not really a leader of men vibe coming from the guy.

Anyway... is there a medical term for it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,243 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

I think he's just a man with either no media training or didn't listen when he got that training.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭I see sheep

I love Bossman Steo

• Registered Users Posts: 20,657 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Very angry men have poor judgement.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭Esse85

I'm sure giving interviews is double as difficult with all the losses, he might sound better with a few victories under his cap.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,840 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

He tries to spend the maximum time and effort being evasive and just isn’t much good at it..people know as much from the first syllable he utters to the last, ie. nothing .. ‘speak as many words as you can while saying as little as possible’ seems to be his motto

He’s always relentlessly optimistic, when we drew 1-1 with Qatar it was as if we’d beaten France and a shot at winning the World Cup was just around the corner. An excellent LOI manager but he’s been found out at international level and been seen as far too much of a waffle merchant when he’s been called on to comment on performances..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,025 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

• Registered Users Posts: 20,657 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

He had the same interview style when he was with Dundalk, and other clubs. That did not stop him being successfull. I don't think there is any medical condition causing it, just his own way of speaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,296 ✭✭✭AllForIt

95% of the time when there's a name in a thread tile I've never heard of I know straight away it's bloody football.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭YabaDabaDooley

I agree Stephen doesn't come across very well in interviews. Possibly one of, if not the worst, sports managers i've ever heard giving interviews. He can look confused or vacant with even the most mundane question. Long moments of silence while he gathers his thoughts and stares blankly at the tv camera are frequent. His post match interview v Luxemburg was car crash tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,562 ✭✭✭Allinall

He's employed to manage a football team, not to give interviews.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Ya, he comes across as being a simpleton....he is brutal, absolutely painful to listen to after a loss/draw...and he is even worse after a win!

Tony O'Donoghues worst nightmare.....

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭veryangryman

And yet literally every other manager can do an interview with the viewer clearly knowing "that's the boss". In my working career, I've always known who is a manager without being told. Even the bad ones, assshole ones etc, they still give a boss vibe. Kenny does not.

Kenny could well be a nice guy. Again I've had nice guy managers who again, give a manager vibe out. Kenny needs serious media training for such a high profile job. Especially when results go bad. Which is alot.

Anyways on that theme, Armenia are a tempting 10/1 tonight. Note that when they beat us in June it was on the back of them losing 9 nil.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,955 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Most Irish people who have a good knowledge of Football are big fans of Kenny, the rest haven't a clue in fairness, they just like the chime in with their worthless opinions, especially the ones who are anti LOI. The kind of people who just like to put the boot in to anyone. Now if I was an England supporter I wouldn't be happy at all, there you have a guy in charge who is destroying their chances of winning anything with his negative tactics and persistence with maguire. Kenny would win the world cup with that England team.

who cares how he acts in interviews, he has a very limited team playing nice football.

The team playing for trap and o Neil were afraid of the ball, this team love to be on the ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

At least he is not acting or pretending as more do. I have plenty of time for honesty and those who don't hide behind a PR face.

Dan.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,916 ✭✭✭trashcan

Yeah. You wanna talk car crash interviews ? Give me SK any day.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

+1 on this and well said. That first half performance v Scotland was one of the best Ive seen by an Ireland team in quite some time. They were playing out from the back with confidence and hitting Scotland on the break with ease. Its far removed from the yawn fest we used to have under Trap and he has done it with a bunch of players who are limited. Kenny has demonstrated that this team is progressing so I couldnt care less what his post match interviews are like.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,485 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

• Registered Users Posts: 16,055 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Pity about ya. Long live football being a subject people can talk about on this

• Registered Users Posts: 54,686 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I find him painful to listen to. He’s the complete opposite of interesting and articulate.

• Advertisement

He’s just not very articulate, doesn’t signify any significant lack of intelligence he just seems always in a vast excitable hurry to reply to the question before his brain is engaging with processing and replying to what has been asked.

He’s been around football for years so the media element of his job is not a new element of his profession… so you might envision he’d be a little more composed and insightful and less like a belligerent 14 year old when he hears a question he doesn’t necessarily like…and taking a second to compose his thinking.

Jeeez, Another godawful spoofing, rambling effort at an interview…picked up on rightly and criticised by Brady and co.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭Motivator

I hope this was a wind up, because it’s too pathetic to be sincere. From start to finish it’s total rubbish.

I’m not a fan of LOI football, I go to the odd game if it suits me but I find most LOI fans to be totally insufferable arseholes with massive chips on their shoulder. This “greatest league in the world” nonsense is just that - nonsense. I’d much rather go and watch my neighbours and friends of my sons playing premier division football in the district league. I find the standard of football to be much more bearable than the LOI crap I unfortunately witness a few times a year. And that brings me to Stephen Kenny.

He had a good group of players in a bad league and got lucky they were all around in the same team. He was found out at Dunfermline and has been found out since day 1 in the Irish job. The man is a total spoofer. This storyline of him having the team playing good football is a total myth. The football is no more entertaining than it was 10 years ago under Trap or in the more recent years O’Neill and McCarthy. Both of whom had better squads than this current Irish team but knew they were light years behind everyone else. Those managers knew their limitations and had the balls to front up when things went pear shaped. They didn’t hide away behind a smug grin and evade any questions which could potentially uncover how Kenny knows he’s out of his depth. Kenny is a dead man walking in that job and the only reason he was given it is because the FAI are skint. The only reason he will remain to oversee an already doomed Euro qualification campaign is because the FAI are still skint.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,070 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

I think it is fair to assume that as a national team manager, he would be expected to be competent at both.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,955 ✭✭✭pgj2015

you are obviously having a laugh yourself if you think district league soccer is better than LOI, get real will you. Is that why so many players from that league get signed by the big english clubs? Also why do you go to LOI matches if its so unbearable?

How do you explain how well Kenny did in Europe with Dundalk? You cant blame that on a bad league can you?

The trap and o neil teams had about 30% possession in matches, were afraid of the ball and just belted the ball up the field anytime the got it, usually losing the ball in the process. What trap and o neil played wasnt even what you could call soccer.

LOI fans are the real fans of soccer in this country, not the ole ole ejits who go to the odd euros and make a show of us with their cringy antics.

Doomed euros? id say you are definitely what we call a glass half empty person.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,562 ✭✭✭Allinall

Interviews have no bearing on how the team plays, or the results the team gets.

That's what he is paid for.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,560 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

When they play well and lose, it’s all about results to the Kenny critics. When they play badly and win, it’s all about how they played from the Kenny critics. He can’t win.

I, personally, thought his interview after was grand. We pushed for a third and got sloppy. Nearly cost us the game but we won.

It’s been great watching an Irish side pushing forward and playing the ball about. Yes, it hasn’t worked every time but really don’t want to see us going back to the days of “hoofball” and scraping a win, or a last minute draw, against Cyprus, or Georgia.

Some people just don’t like Stephen Kenny and that seems to be on a personal level, as well as taking issue with the Irish side playing positive football.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭growleaves

I tire of PR slickness so I don't care or am even glad Kenny he isn't a media-trained guy. He just comes across like a normal person which I like.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,875 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I love Kenny. Not great at the PR side of things but who cares. What matters most is that the players seem to have a good bond with him and respect him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,070 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

You are pretty naive if you think how the manager communicates with the media, and represents the national team/FAI isn’t crucially important. Every national team manager is paid to do both. Would Kenny survive if he informed the FAI that media duties aren’t what he is being paid to do, and he isn’t doing them? Of course not.

You only have to look back to the Steve Staunton reign, and that absolutely calamitous first interview to see how damaging poor media skills can be. Besides, Kenny’s results aren’t that good that we can conclude that he is being paid solely to train a team. A good talker can buy time for both a manager, and the people who appointed him.

Advertisement