Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CX World Cup round for Dublin in December

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I reckon we keep it niche. Otherwise we end up with companies rolling in, professionals at the gates (as opposed to volunteers, who were great btw) and health and safety strolling in to tell us that those hills are not safe to stand on, and you need solid walkways over the mud 😆

I was standing beside a 3ft ditch for the men's race at the top of a hill. If the chap beside me had have knocked into me I was gone 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭cunavalos

A couple of observations or questions, when the transfer of the CI office from the North Circular Road to Abbotstown was announced there was also mention of a permanent cyclocross course on the sports campus. Did that ever go ahead and were aspects of that course in use at the weekend as the course itself was a bit underwhelming and saved by the weather which made a spectacle of the race.

Secondly if this was a Sports Ireland event and they are looking to make it a regular event,would this throw a spanner in the works of the possiblity of beer tents on the course for future events. I presume their anti alcohol policy would be at odds with applying / giving permision for an alcohol license.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,114 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

A large part of the course used is the National Cross Country course, the boring side I think. So doubt the CX course would/could be permanent.

They could have made a distinctly Irish CX course, brought them through the halting site on the far side of the campus lands, dodging rubbish and kids throwing stuff at them!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭cunavalos

I knew I wasnt going crazy, there was a report on Stickybottle back in 2018 about a permanent course so I presume this didnt go ahead to the extent planned in the article.

https://www.stickybottle.com/latest-news/irish-cyclocross-course-abbottstown-dublin/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Definetly needed more portaloo's if they sold beer onsite! :D

For the full "Belgian expeirence" I reckon that beer and frites is a requirement, it was torture looking at the advertisements for "Kwaremont 6.6% Beer" all over the course and not being able to buy one... :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

It is there but it is more training bits and is tiny, some steps, a ramp, not sure what else but its very small. This said, you could easily incorporate it into the cross country track and put in a few off track bits and it would be a decent course for the national series.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭daragh_

Still no word on my Towel sadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,021 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Die diddly ie diddle diddle diddle die diddly ie diddly ie diddle diddle ie.

Sorry that Boards doesnt let you turn pictures

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭morana

I believe there was no beer due to the process of getting a licence being too onerous.

If they are going to have the worlds here it would be the ideal venue . I thought the organisation was great, great crowd and great races.

Hopefully it will return next year...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭MyDarkArts

Indeed, anything to do with alcohol licensing in this country is an almighty convoluted, expensive and unnecessary shitshow.

There's moves afoot to overhaul and simplify the process that would be most welcome, (assuming the lobbyists and vested-interested don't derail or water-down the proposals).

Perfectly understandable why they made the decision to forgo trying to sell a few beers. Juice wouldn't be worth the squeeze.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Mr. Cats

To be honest, I thought the atmosphere was great as it was without beer tents. I brought my young fella and would be a bit worried that the thing could tip over into a booze fest if alcohol sales become too prominent. I saw plenty there with hip flasks, topping up their coffees or hot drinks from flasks. Continuing to turn a blind eye to that seems a better the way to go for me. Having beer as a really prominent part of the thing might take away from the family friendly atmosphere I think.

I get that it’s normal in Belgium - and is integral to the experience there - but no reason why we would have to follow. It’s a bit depressing for me that every sporting occasion is used as a piss up excuse by a minority, bringing the inevitable issues that follow.

I was more disappointed by the lack of chips and sauce but having a Belgian beer is kinda part of the experience for me. I don't drink much at these things because ide spend the day in the toilet or queueing for beer but 1 Kwaremont would be nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Give us a beer! We're not a bunch of unruly children! Fine to advertise beer all over the course but not able to buy one!

All part of the CX experience! https://youtu.be/XT2n4kyD5us

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Awesome :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,921 ✭✭✭cletus

I know I'm resurrecting this thread, but I was on the Cycling Ireland website looking for tickets. They had a link to the UCI website, but I can't see where to buy tickets.

If anyone has a link, I'd appreciate it

Tickets weren't on sale till much later in the year last year, I had presumed this year would be the same

You're probably right, it was just that the CI website said they were on sale now. Could be they've put the link in place, so that when they do go live, it's there.

Thanks for the response, Cram

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭JMcL

I think tickets were only released around start of November last year as I bought mine pretty much as soon as they were available, though it was a very last minute addition to the calendar in fairness, so I'd say they'll release them in a month or two

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

Just got tickets to this year's event. So excited. Missed out last year due to work, definitely not missing it this year.

Quick question. Is it safe to walk to/from it from Blanchardstown S.C? Years since I was up that direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Jimbo789

No Van Aert or Van der Poel this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,114 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Pretty sure no Pidcock either. Ah well, they're all blow-ins anyway!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,833 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

At what point will there be a full race list (or is there one already)?

I entered the amateur race the day before hand and have since f*cked up my shoulder, no CX for me this year. Still looking forward to the spectacle

• Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

Looking forward to this, can't decide whether to drive up or pop bike on train and cycle out from Heuston. Any issues with parking last year?

I'm getting the train up and spinning over, just seems handier

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Morris Garren

We parked in Blanch Shopping Centre last year- bit of a walk but no problems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,851 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

we parked in the office park opposite the sports campus, I think this was official parking. it was very cold and icy for last years round.

Advertisement