Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CX World Cup round for Dublin in December

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭this.lad

Last year I parked at blanchardstown cebtre and strolled up to it, not far. Couldn't comment on traffic because we were up early, the roads were bad and there was a sharp frost so roads quiet.

Later in the day I'd be wary with Christmas shopping season and the traffic it brings.

We took in the full day practice, womens racec etc. I thought it was worth the full day. We got a great spot on the hill but watched the boards and sand during the practice.

Brought the flask and lunch boxes and it was just as well but I understand that this year is to be better.

Its a good day out.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,110 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Yet uci wouldn't dare say anything to wout, MdvP or pidcock for the same

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Paddigol

Yeah, their approach to the whole thing has been odd. Smacks of suits who can't see past the TDF and have no real clue what cyclocross entails other than The Big Three do it so must be same deal as road. I get the impression that there are some Belgian/ Dutch CX fans who really want to see the sport expand globally and grow the depth of talent, but others who see it from a conservative/ traditionalist perspective and see it as being a Belgian/ Dutch sport and not willing to sacrifice that element for the sake of growth. The former want to see the WC become a proper, international competition (as opposed to having 6 of the rounds in Belgian) and the latter think it should be no more prioritised in terms of scheduling, promotion etc. than the traditional competitions (Superprestige/ X2O etc.).

• Registered Users Posts: 25,080 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I would definitely identify with those traditionalists. Actually going to races is probably a big part of their leisure time and easy access to the races would be a huge part of that.

It's their sport at the end of the day and the people who want to make it international are essentially asking for half the All Ireland hurling championship to be played in other countries.

The horrible divide between the TV soccer fan and the actual match going fan is not something I would want to invite into my sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭JMcL

Parked at TU Blanchardstown last year and used the park and ride. Very efficient getting there and importantly getting back. I'd be a bit wary of the shopping center with Christmas shopping, though it's still November which would probably temper that a bit.

As far as the event itself goes, with the succession of races there was rarely a lull in stuff going on. With the early frost I missed anything before the junior men's I think, but it made for a good day out all told

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,110 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

It's no more their sport than road cycling is. It's a format that's existed for over 100 years and was popular in more places than there. First world championships were in frqnce, and there's been a strong US interest since the early 60s.

It's like the uci can't win. We want more and we want it accessible but we also don't want to break tradition

Road cycling would be one of my worries if I was them. Going "international" these days seems to mean a load of stupid races in Dubai or similar.

Adding a few rounds outside the heartlands is a great idea but I would be very against a true world championships.

Yeah I agree to a large extent. But I think there is room for some broadening of appeal which would benefit the riders and teams in terms of salaries and sponsorship - countries like France, Luxembourg, Switzerland, Italy, Czech Republic, Slovenia all have some degree of cx culture which should be embraced. I think, for example, that CX in this country could see a boost in facilities/ courses etc as a result of the World Cup exposure. At the end of the day, all things evolve. CX was originally French and I'm sure the party culture that is half its appeal now didn't exist in decades past - its part of the evolution process.

But yes, the Belgian and Dutch race culture is something that should be handled very carefully. Allow other countries to develop their own scenes off the back of WC exposure without looking to undermine what exists in the heartland.

I think its more a case of how the UCI go about it - simply trying to railroad through changes isn't going to be productive. The UCI in this case remind me a bit of the FAI a few years ago... no real interest in the grassroots, looking to cash in on the Big Three Factor, and picking sides in the Belgian CX scene (Superprestige -v- X2O) in a pig headed attempt at developing things.

It can be done, but should be done a lot better I think is the general view. Holding 6 rounds in Belgium isn't making it more accessible - it's just overloading an already jam packed calendar/ race schedule.

I think the Belgians do deserve a lot of credit for nurturing the sport when nobody outside BeNeLux was really in the slightest bit interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭DonegalBay

Think it is about balance, 14 rounds is too many and allows more room to skip races. Personally, I think World Cup should be 10 events, 5 in Belgium/Netherlands and 5 outside the traditional heartlands. Makes each round more important meaning riders aiming for the overall are almost obliged to take part. That may also mean rotating between some countries every 2nd year, but it may hold interest in those countries better.

I am curious to see if crowd on Sunday is up or down on last year. It was a brand new novel experience for Ireland last year and with no Van Aert/Pidcock this time around, could see attendance drop. Hopefully not.

• Advertisement

It seemed like most people who went really liked it and I think the fact CI have taken criticism on board and upped their game this year is a very good sign.

I am worried that the earlier date meaning no WvA will be a problem though.

I'm just struggling to see what the point of having a load of rounds in Belgium/ Holland is? They already have a few really top level series which attracts big crowds and fills the calendar. I don't see what extra rounds in Belgium would add? You could have 1 in each of Italy, Czech Rep, Switzerland, France, Spain, plus a couple in North America at the start (they've a vibrant CX scene there and I think the UCI and sponsors (Trek) are keen to go over), one in Ireland (positive reports from last year and looks as though the organisers want to make it a fixture) and one in the UK (where they've been trying to get to for a number of years) then a couple in Belgium and a couple in Holland. The big bugbear seems to be lack of thought put into the scheduling so as to minimise travel time and costs and not to disrupt the bread and butter Belgian competitions.

Yeah, I haven't heard anything on how ticket sales are going.

Plus: last year was a success, it's a better date in the calendar, beer and food will be better, word of mouth from last year should attract a few more;

Cons: more Big Guns missing, novelty factor is less, lack of beer and food last year might put some people who aren't on social media off; weather won't be as cold.

It's hard to know how sales are going, but I'd be hopeful we'll see at least the same numbers this year (8,000)

Was there camper parking last year or is that also a new feature ?

Good idea as it seems to be a favourite of the European fans and a form of travel accommodation Ireland is historically woeful for.

There were definitely campers parked up near the Team Bus area (the indoor athletics track car park) last year but I presumed they were linked to the teams... hadn't occurred to me that it might have been organised for travelling fans or if it was anything official.

Certainly this year they have campers.

"Campervan Parking

Campervan parking facilities will be available for Friday, Saturday and Sunday evening and can be booked below for each individual night. 

Friday, November 24th - From 6pm

Saturday, November 25th - From 9am

Sunday, November 26th - From 9am

Note: The campus gate is closed between 11pm & 5.30am. In the case of an emergency, security is present 24/7 on campus in the security building close to the National Aquatic Center"

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭gmacww

It's somewhat strange at the moment. The email I just got from them states parking and shuttle bus is via TU as it was last year but then the click for more info states it's in M3 parkway. Which one is right, is it both?

Assume you can park onsite if you are partaking in the Saturday support races?

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭DonegalBay

Your proposal is one less round in Belgium/Netherlands than i was suggesting so no issue with that. However i think having more international events will cause even more clashes with the Benelux events, this weekend some will be riding in Kortrijk on Saturday and then Dublin on Sunday. Lot of travel for one day. The more international rounds you have in the WC, the more they will clash with events in Belgium with riders racing in Bel/Ned on the Saturday and then having to get to wherever for the Sunday WC. More travel and i think more skipping races. As many of the teams are Begian sponsored the Benelux scene is just as important if not more so for them, so they would not be happy with such a situation. Like I said, it is a balancing act between all the various interests and elements. For as long as I can remember, the UCI have been trying to develop road cycling outside of the traditional races and countries and the only event of significance that has lasted is Strade Bianche which of course is in a traditional cycling country. It is not an easy task.

Yeah, that was the set up last year anyway on the Sat. I deposited a load of mud on the FAI's car parking spaces :-0

Yeah, it's definitely a scheduling issue. You'd think it'd be an easy fix, but then the problem seems to be that there are vested interests at play between two rival event organisers. I'm sure it'll improve once common sense kicks in, but the UCI should probably keep their oar out of it instead of threatening to ban riders from the world championships for picking and choosing when to race and when to rest.

• Advertisement

Course is a little different to last year. The popular hill section looks pretty much the same but the ramp into it seems to be gone. Sand pit and other obstacles moved too. Seems less technical as well.

Beer looks like it's that Rockshore crap. Tents aren't massively inspiring. But it's something I suppose!

It was always gonna be something like that.

After 4.5 hours of travelling to get there I don't care as long as I can grab something and chill out once I arrive.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,930 ✭✭✭cletus

Fücking Rockshore. Fück sake. What awful fücking piss. I hate it almost as much as I hate the smug fücking bastards in their stupid fücking ads.

Fücking Rockshore.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,930 ✭✭✭cletus

Double fücking post

Post edited by cletus on

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Mr. Cats

😂 At least on the bright side there won’t be too many getting really pissed - you’d have to be really desperate to drink enough Rockshore to make a difference 😂

I predict a lot of BYO(quality)B

Rockshore tents would mean Guinness as well at least. Not my favourite beer but grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭this.lad

Video of the course, still sand but not in the same location. Hard to tell the length of the sand portion.

Looking forward to it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,831 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Looks like being wet enough Saturday overnight

• Advertisement

I'm seeing dry Saturday night but with bits of rain early and lunch time.

Advertisement