Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GTA 6 leaked footage

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,907 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I really wouldn't be getting bent out of shape over the graphics at this stage. The graphics will be massively improved once post processing effects and the look are cleaned up which will happen at the end of the project.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,441 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

That's kinda sad really!

Or am I just having hangover emotions? 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 7,715 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

It does read as them feeling very betrayed. World's smallest violin and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭MillField

A real pity for the Rockstar employees. As much as we'd all like to know what's in store for GTA 6 I think it's much better to be left with some surprises.

Side note, there is talk that new cities will be added during the lifetime of GTA 6 through DLC? I have a feeling its gonna be a 15 year old game by the time 7 arrives. 😅

• Registered Users Posts: 33,336 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I think they're kinda stuck having to go with the modern day setting. So much of the gameplay now is contingent on things like the mobile phone, internet access, modern vehicles/weapons. Especially when it comes to the next version of Online. A huge narrative over different time periods would be cool, but then you're into multiple versions of the same map to cover different time periods. Maybe some more things like the North Yankton area in GTAV, where you have flashbacks to a small contained map just for a few missions could be interesting.

I think the modern day is still fairly ripe for a good story, especially since the last game will be probably over 10 years old by the time GTA6 comes out, and how much America has changed in those 10 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,035 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

There was a rumour a while back about the game being called project Americas internally and it was to be set in multiple cities across both north and south America. This idea was later canned and the scale of the project pulled back in the interest of getting something finished. One of the videos I saw had file names that referenced project Americas so I'm taking it there's at least some truth to that rumour.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,511 ✭✭✭✭Varik

GTA online was set all right before the main game took place, but after a bit they allowed it to continue post GTA V story to present day. New music being added and parodying current stuff like this summers update being about oil prices.

One of the videos had a corner of Vespucci beach in Los Santos so might be seeing another update there, or it was just a test environment using pre existing assets.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

In fairness when you release the same game across 3 console generations and 9 years later ( probably 10/11 by time it's released) why should anyone feel pity or sympathetic towards Rockstar ? They've let GTA V drag out too long, online updates or not.

The footage itself is definitely early days for the game. It looks like they began with GTA V engine as the base for laying it out and with update it along the way. Hope it's a good as Red Dead 2 but I can't see it living up to the storyline of it simply because it was the best story mode of a game ever.

Like many my only gripe is that its set in modern day. Was really hoping for an 80s/90s setting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

Mafia 2 sort of managed to pull off two time periods though only 6 years apart but a lot of the cars were different, weather and other subtle things.

It seems that years ago it was much easier to bang out a game in terms of development and as time has gone on its longer between one another. From memory GTA 3 - GTA 5 was 2001, 2002, 2004, LC & VC stories somewhere in between, 2009, Two dlc expansion packs of GTA vi and then 2013.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

We were spoiled on the Xbox 360/PS3 era. We had GTA IV and also GTA V. The Xbox One/PS4 all we got was a GTA V again. Imagine a whole new console generation came and went and no new GTA. Then the current gen we also got V again. Hopefully we don't have to wait too much longer for VI. If it's another two years wait, FÚCK THEM! I need a new GTA fix.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,187 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

TBH if it takes them four more years so be it once the developers aren’t subjected to the same punishing crunch they were in the past. The studio seems to be reforming their internal development culture which is great. Although based on what we’ve heard so far it’s probably a 2024 game at least given where it’s at in development.

The reality is these big, sprawling AAA games only take longer and longer to make as the audience / publisher expectation for more and more scale and fidelity increases. Personally, I think these mega-studios would be better off making smaller, shorter, more focused games - I’d much prefer another small-scale Bully like game from Rockstar over another massive mess like RDR2. But that’s a personal preference and the wider audience expects bigger, grander games.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,290 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

I struggle to see why it has to be set in Vice City AGAIN. It's GTA, it will sell like crazy, set the game in Tokyo or anywhere else interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,486 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

The whole idea of what these games should be needs to be reevaluated.

Clearly, bringing a detailed narrative driven game in a sprawling map with enough depth to keep people playing for years on end takes a length of time that simply isn't practical anymore.

The idea of multiple maps released over time makes more sense than trying to front load everything into a complete package on release day, which is realistically a thing of the past.

They need to take a leaf out of other developers books, episodic (as much as is practical for an open world game) content released at reasonable intervals is better than a decade between each game.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,187 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Funny enough I think Rockstar themselves understood this well at one stage - the GTAIV and RDR1 expansions were a perfect example of taking a core game and expanding it with good, solid additional campaign modes.

Alas, the allure of the endless GTA Online dollars means they skipped that in their last two games.

I think the research and everything to make a somewhat decent representation of a completely different country and culture, not to mention parodying that country and culture, ensuring it translates to the core audience which is American/European, would make it completely non-feasible. The parody business names, ad signs, radio stations, pedestrian comments etc...

The likes of Yakuza, Sleeping Dogs etc can pull it off because those companies are from there. An American company trying to do it to the level of detail Rockstar tries to achieve would be a shambles imo.

Vice City, if they expand it beyond the borders of the city itself, could possibly feature some everglades/swamp areas (they've already done a lot of crocodile and wildlife stuff for RDR2). The fact that last time in Vice City was in the 80's it also means we'll be in a new version of Vice City almost 40 years later.

Vice City is the obvious choice, but I think it's also a good one. Even going for new versions of other American cities, they'd likely be even more similar to either San Andreas or Liberty City (eg. versions of Chicago, or Detroit). Miami is a good mix of cultures and landscape. It's also going to depend on the story they they want to tell and the characters they want to feature.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,290 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Don't agree with the non feasible part there, Take 2 and Rockstar are loaded, they could easily come up with a fictional Tokyo or London.

Tokyo would be cool, they had the Yakuza in GTA3 so some legacy characters could be involved.

They had a GTA London before and Rockstar North are from the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,869 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Although I wasn't up to date on things at the time, I remember the big Half Life 2 leak back in the day.

Must read up on it again and see if it affected development. Think the leak was very different from the final game.

You can hardly compare the GTA London game to the level of detail they aim for in modern games. No one would have expected any real accuracy for London 1969. There's also the fact that London would be a very dreary, flat city compared to what they could do with Vice City.

The GTA games now are primarily made for the American market. Having the games set in America allows them to continue using American culture, vernacular, and is far easier to parody.

Could they set a game in Tokyo or London? Of course, it's definitely feasible. But to do what they do for the American cities, culture etc and translate it to another country/culture would be a gargantuan undertaking that I'm not sure would be worth it.

Just because they're going with another American city doesn't mean they can't do something new or interesting with it. Like I said, Vice City being Miami means you have the Everglades right beside it so you have huge variety and new stuff which can come from there. You also have Cuba across the water so like the previous Vice City you can have Cuban gangs/areas for different cultures/characters (Little Havana).

Just because you go back to the well doesn't mean you can't still draw fresh water.

Genuinely can't see what a GTA Tokyo / Japan would do that the Yakuza Like A Dragon series hasn't done in an infinitely more culturally authentic way, other than increased scale of the open world.

Or Sleeping Dogs. They created a fantastic game map and setting, but I can't see how Rockstar could do the same. Even things like store names, billboards, radio stations etc, how could Rockstar do genuine parody versions of those which Western audiences would get? Are signs etc all written in Japanese or English? Can you parody Japanese culture better than Yakuza/LAD does?

If GTA had new games every 2-3 years, then a change in country would definitely be more warranted to keep things fresh. But 10 years since the last game and how the US has changed in those years, I'm glad they're keeping it in America. Ultimately, it's what they do with it that counts.

• Advertisement

Sleeping Dogs was from a Canadian studio AFAIK, so it is possible, but honestly I don't think I'd trust Rockstar to leave their comfort zone yet based on the iffy quality of their writing in GTA to date. That said, the reporting suggests they're making efforts to 'mature' their writing this time around (while still being irreverent and satirical, you'd imagine) so we'll see how they fare.

The problem with Japan in particular is it has such a robust indigenous gaming industry that anyone external coming in is at a disadvantage. Like a theoretical GTA Japan would be up against Persona or Like A Dragon, which are games beloved for being so unapologetically detailed and authentic in their portrayal of Japanese culture and city life.

Sure, Ghost of Tsushima managed to have a generally positive reception in its chosen genre, but there are so many other settings beyond Japan a western studio like Rockstar would be better off and more capable of tackling. And GTA London excepted, there's a valid argument that GTA has always been at its heart a satire of America anyway - that's what the series is, no less so than LAD is so foundationally Japanese.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,717 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

The US has changed utterly since the last GTA. Also, a load of streaming services pumping out dramas of same.

So, the next GTA will have to be a very radical beast to "surprise" players. Anything goes in 18 cert media these days.

Will parents still be feigning ignorance when they hand little Johnny the latest GTA. I can see The Sun headlines already.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,850 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I can't see how they'll get away with a "typical" GTA game with modern times. Everything is diluted down to offend the least amount. I haven't played the new SR yet, but the feedback is similar, good game, terrible story/characters. I just don't know how Rockstar will make a game for modern times with the cheekiness they used to have.

Saying that, bring it on. I'll play it regardless, and right now I'm saying no, I'm not getting it Day 1, but hype will probably take over and I'll end up getting it, unless I really don't like what I see. And what I see will also be affected by how much they're going to initially push GTA online, which I couldn't give two continental fecks about.

And I'm totally still not salty, waiting on the promised single player DLC for the PS3 release...

Maybe it'll be amazing.

The Sopranos of video games ?

RDR2 evoked a lot of emotions in me that I never got from any other video game. And they captured the time and space perfectly.

If they could do that with GTA6 with better controls, throw in a few lessons learned from recent open world games and it could be astounding.

( Single player campaign )

RDR games are very different games to GTA tonally.

Biggest issue I'd with GTA V was the on foot controls, you'd have to be carefully near any ledge, bumping into door frames, or walking in to stuff. RD for all the open wilds you'd have no issue running through alleys or tight buildings.

Yep, RDR2 at least is a lot more serious, GTA5 ( the only one I've played ) is more slapstick. Anyway, something to look forward to. Hopefully they take it to the next level as they are promising.

They might be trying for a bit more serious here too.

Seen some of the details picked up from the part of the source code so far such as cops remembering your car, so might be more like RDR2 than normal GTA where as soon as you loose the stars it's over. Makes sense if they're doing a proper Bonnie and Clyde thing, can't be a wanted outlaw if no one wants you.

Enemy AI , stealth, and cover usage from RDR making it over too. But still going to probably be a lot more satirical than serious.

Something I like that they've show is the updates to the cars you don't seem to have you knees in the air driving anymore, and getting in to a car on the passenger side you no longer slide over to the side like it was the back seat you move headfirst, also seem to be able to sit out the window and shoot and stand in the bed of a pick up without the physic engine launching you out after hitting 5mph.

Post edited by Varik on

• Administrators Posts: 53,487 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

If they make GTA anything like RDR2 it will flop hard.

I would hope they learnt a lesson after RDR2 and move away from the busy-work, the excessive travel and endless pointless filler and stick to making a fun game instead of trying to make an overly realistic one.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,907 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Doubt it will flop hard. RDR2 was a massive misstep but coasted on the hype to massive sales and big review scores. GTA6 will be riding a massive hype machine. I very much doubt Rockstar will mess it up though, they know most of the fun of the game is the interaction with the world and physics.... well I hope they do because if they try to go RDR2 it will be another boring GTA4 trying to take itself seriously and ending up being a collage of set pieces from famous films.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,487 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I am sure they will sell units well initially no matter what, but longer term if they go down the RDR2 route and make the same mistakes it will be hard for them to monetize it the way they have with GTA5.

Advertisement