Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WTF.A minutes silence for the death of Queen Elizabeth in the Dail today. Micheal Collins and Dev

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,814 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

It was when we were a bitter, scared, cowed, poor, brow beaten, pious little Country, full of spite and abuse, that we wouldn't have marked the passing of the Head of State of our nearest neighbour, when we wouldn't have done enough for the fear of doing too much.

Now, as it happens, the new King is a visitor here more than people know, because he visits friends privately and is even a close friend of our President and Head of State and they have a relationship of equals.

And so we acknowledge the death of his mother and the efforts she made to support peace on this island in the latter decades of her reign.

Just a simple mark of respect and acknowledgement. Like all the people who stood outside front gates during Covid as the funerals passed by.

Basic decency, nothing more, nothing less and we get on with our day.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,698 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Any thoughts on what they would have how they felt about abortion or gay marraige?

I think it's time to leave the ghosts of devalera and Collins in their graves and forge our own future tbh - think about the future you want for your grandkids not the past that your grandparents wanted

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,204 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Why should 21st century Ireland be beholden to a group of men who've almost all been dead for over a century? I've never understood this logic? Should the Irish working classes go back to scrounging a living off the land because James Connolly wouldn't approve of the EU or Ireland's current corporation tax rate?

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 15,572 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Nope. I am.not one fir bars I hate them well unless they have F1 on but even them ones are useless with the noisy ejits watching rubbish football in it and other people talking. Not worth the hassle

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

All the men and Women who died for us so we could have our own independence and freedom and not have to bow to no King or Queen and these baffons are It. It baffles the mind.

Eh, do we not still have independence and freedom or did I miss something?

• Advertisement
    Ms

I don't have any kids never mind grandkids lol and that's the way I like it.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,357 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Maybe we were invaded again during the minute's silence and missed it?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,357 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Do you have nieces or nephews? Do you want the next generation to inherit hate and bigotry for others for events of the past?

Very generous gesture. As a mature state I expect the UK to reciprocate should the unfortunate event arise.

Ms

Yes I do have nieces and nephews and no I do not.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,986 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

i agree op, it was cap doffing fauning crap.

it was not maturity or moving on or any of the other drivel churned out by the "maturity" brigade.

we can have a relationship with our neighbour away as we should, but we should absolutely not be holding minute silences because the head of a moraly bankrupt and out of date institution passes away.

she was not our queen, he is not our king and will never be, this is ireland and not little britain.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,814 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

What a small minded, desperate and petulant reaction that is.

If the German Federal President or the King of the Netherlands or Sweden or Norway had died last week, there would still be a minute's silence in the Dáil in the presence of that Country's Ambassador, only the News would not likely even bother reporting it.

Its what nations do among fellow nations and were Michael D to wake up dead tomorrow, the same respects would be paid in Capitals abroad.

Our judgement from Ireland, on the merits of a Monarchy or the moral bankruptcy of the British aristocratic ascendancy are frankly irrelevant. Its a matter for the British people to keep it or bin it, without any ****s to give as to what the Irish think.

And I suspect for all its obvious flaws, the Queen's death will actually renew it for quite a while longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,986 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

nothing small minded or petty about it at all, simply a recognition of cap doffing nonsense that has no place in this country in this instance and is not being done in mine, or other's name.

yeah, not a chance would a minute silence be held in britain if our president died and it wouldn't be expected.

actually our judgement on the moral bankruptsy of the british monarchy is relevant when politicians are engaging in cap doffing on our behalf.

actually the death of the queen is likely to see it off long term.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,470 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

I wish NZ were only doing a minutes silence, the feckers in govt here have given themselves a week off

• Registered Users Posts: 18,012 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

It also seems to have escaped the attention of the minutes silence bashers that there are around 1m British citizens / UK passport holders living on this island (some of whom compete for our sports teams). It's as if this fact is completely meaningless to them.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,000 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

It’s always amusing how some people with no actual personal knowledge of death seem to think they have a right to speak for them, projecting their opinions and their agenda on to dead.

Collins, de Valera, et al, were men and women of their time not ours and you nor I nor anyone has any idea how they would act in to days world so show them the respect of not claiming them for your little agenda.

And in any case both Collins and de Valera took the oath of allegiance etc and given the nature and importance of the relationship to suggest that they would do otherwise than follow protocol is far fetched at best.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

They are taking really well. Perfectly, in fact. Exactly how they are intended to take it. With a great big dollop BS that they are swallowing whole. Just because the British public are dutifully complying with the orchestrated hysteria doesn't mean we should, too. Not our circus, not our monkeys. An official message of condolence from our state to theirs is sufficient, respectful and appropriate.

I dunno. While certainly the designated mourning period over there, and all that goes with it, is as good an example of collective psychosis as you could get, I don't know that just a minute's silence in the Dáil (and nothing more) is an issue. As has been said, it's fairly standard stuff following the passing of a head of state. Although I wouldn't consider it disrespectful NOT to hold one. But no biggie tbh - in my opinion.

This Friday though, the national broadcaster will be holding an edition of its biggest talk show entirely devoted to the queen, its prescheduled guest slots being postponed or cancelled. Now that is just absurd.

And it's not "Brit bashing" - politics aside, modern Britain is a great country: multicultural with a superb, rich tapestry of music, literature, film, television, radio/podcasts, theatre and comedy. The monarchy, and even worse, the brainwashed, jingoistic royalists within the media and public, are another matter though - plenty of Brits themselves would be the first to state this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭patnor1011

Meh, nothing to see here. Our landlords paying tribute to the nearest and the biggest landlord passing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

I think the correct response would be to send dignitaries over to the UK to pay respects. Irish people in the UK should be respectful and follow any protocol necessary. However, in Ireland, in a room full of Irish people it is just political grandstanding to observe a minute's silence for any foreign head of state, and the British will privately view it at such.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

to have the choice to have a minutes silence for a neighbour friend is exactly what they fought and died for

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

with all the unionist in fighting and arseholery King Charles has become great friends with the shinners , the only friendly faces he meets up there 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

60 seconds (less than the time taken to write this post!) when offended people can think of anything else. It's a mark of respect for the leader of a neighbour country whose history is entangled in ours and she was well-respected.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,000 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

You are just going to have to learn to live in the modern world and stop being held captive to history. When the President made his state visit to the UK he was very well treated, hell even our Chief of Staff was met with an honor guard. There is no reason for you to suggest otherwise. Justifying your behavior by making up what the other side might do is childish. You can make up as much old guff as you want it does not amount to a hill of beans.

If the Irish President or Taoiseach died in office there would absolutely be a minutes silence in Westminster in remembrance and respect

you’re just making stuff up in your head to be upset about

• Registered Users Posts: 66,911 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

No big problem with the minutes silence.

Thankfully those prone to inappropriate over reaction got knocked back with the Black and Tan affair and didn't suggest a bank holiday.

Erskine Childers was the only President to die in office.

I wasn't aware of a minutes silence...can you link? They did send a cousin of the queen to the funeral.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,396 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Indeed - it's a complicated thing and the fawning and absolute nonsense over the while thing across the water is something to behold.

I think we are seeing the start of the end of the monarchy - which is why a hell of a lot of people are affected by this.

• Advertisement

???

You said:

If the Irish President or Taoiseach died in office there would absolutely be a minutes silence in Westminster in remembrance and respect

This is where you provide proof of your positivity. I guess you can't.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement