Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who is the most famous person you have met in real life?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Dazler97

I met cody simpson the Australian musician. Has anyone met trump or Putin

Nobody very famous - but two members of The Smiths (obviously not THOSE two - I wouldn't be able to engage in any way with Johnny Marr as I'd pass out). Andy Rourke in the Bodega bar, Cork, and Mike Joyce in Cork's Opera House. Both lovely!

Numerous Irish presenters. Ian Dempsey is lovely, so is Matt Cooper. George Hook - pure eccentric auld fella with no filter. Not rude, but not exactly pleasant either. Ray D'Arcy - very quiet and shy. Claire Byrne - lovely lady!

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Listrydude

Met Kareem Abdul-Jabbar and Arnold Schwarznegger in the NBA shop in NYC while we were on honeymoon. Admittedly I hadn't a clue who Kareem was! Had to ask a parent of a kid who was staring at him in awe! You can imagine the look I got from her. I eventually recognised him as the lad from Airplane! Nice fella.

Met Bono, very nice fella. Met most of the rugby lads, mostly very decent with their time.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭moonage

Ayatollah Khomeini

Biggie Smalls

Thelma Mansfield

Ted Bundy

Niels Bohr

Willie O' Dea

Rosa Parks (on a bus!)

Montgomery Clift 

Gerrit van Gelderen

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

‘Met’ Lady Gaga in Central Park, New York in 2015 but we didn’t actually know it was her as she was on her own walking her dog. We did the whole ‘she looks fair like Lady Gaga, image of her’. Couldn’t have been her right?? But she started getting attention soon after so we guessed it was her and googled what dog she had. Yep twas her. Wouldn’t have gone over to her though if we were 100% sure it was her. She wasn’t getting crazy attention either though, maybe 5-7 hanging around her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭anplaya27

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,001 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

I have met quite a few famous people through work, but the people I have failed to recognize are more amusing….

Princess Anne-Frid Synni of Reuss, Countess of Plauen, otherwise known as Frida from ABBA. One cold January morning (~-25) I was engaged in conversation by a woman in her mid sixties while waiting for a train, in Zermatt. We were all muffled up and spoke in German, I kept thinking I know your face from somewhere. It was only weeks later when I saw an up to date picture of her in a local paper that it dawned on me.

On another occasion I got a call from a man with the same name as the President (of Switzerland) for my son, we exchanged pleasantries while waiting for my son to come to the phone. After wards I commented to my son that I thought the man might be related to the President as the name was not a common one, only to be told that it WAS the President!

In Switzerland the President is not a big deal. The then President waiting for his train like everyone else - no security etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,728 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Neil Armstrong. Shook his hand quite soon after the landing when the three of them did the world tour.

Seriously? The Ayatollah fukcin' Khomeini and you're just going to drop the story like that without any further explanation? I mean Thelma Mansfield fair enough, anyone could walk past her on the way in and out of your local Dunnes/Tesco, but you're not going to tell us you met the Ayatollah without giving us some background info are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Hooked

Wife rang me in a panic a few weeks ago at B&Q Limerick, as "that comedian you love" is here beside me... 'Twas indeed Peter Kay - who is said to have a house in nearby Killaloe... out shopping with his son. I've always been a HUGE fan. Long before he was "TV" famous.

As I pulled in to collect her, sat outside - he was literally walking out the door with his son - but knowing just how privatre he is (& staying out of the spotlight for 2 or 3 years now) and being with his teenage soon - I just got the vibe not to disturb him/them.

'Tis mad to see them (celebs) in the flesh, just strolling around, doing normal everyday stuff and not being bothered. Peter must be worth 40 or 50 MILLION? I'd love to have chatted to him (not looking for selfies or autographs) but I also felt if he'd asked not to be bothered - it may have crushed me, LOL.

So no - I haven't 'met' anyone famous.

I did high-five Olivia Wilde as she headed down the steps to chat to James Corden on his US Late Late show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭BK5

Biggest claim to fame is I played pool on Mick Hucknell's pool table while he watched, didn't get to play against him though.

Most famous person was probably the Edge.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,355 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

I have met many huge DJs from the 90s. Never into the scene so didn't know many of them but ate lunch with Carl Cox and talked about 70s music. I had no idea who he was he was just one of the DJs playing that night where I worked.

The famous people I met and wanted to were Adam Ant and Weird Al.

Besides that all of U2 regularly as they came into where I worked even got a lift from the Edge. Robbie William, Robin William, Westlife, Boyzone, Spice Girls, Nena Cherry, Chumbawumba, Sultan of Ping FC, T'pau

The weirdest was Gerry Conlon as it was a bit like seeing a myth. He was very nice and had a little chat as he waited on his friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭UI_Paddy

Michael D Higgins, very briefly.

Literally just after a talk he gave when I was in college we acknowledged one another, shook hands and that was that.

Also met Ryan Tubridy at a Christmas charity event. Showed him a picture of my dad to see if he recognized him, as they met on the day of his first Late Late show. Suffice to say he didn't recognise him, probably because he's met far too many people to recall, even on big days like that.

Then I met Shane Filan at Oxegen 2011. Ended up near the media tower, and he came down started chatting to people. He was a decent bloke.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭mailforkev

Lots of sports folk and a few actors at various things, also a couple of well known billionaire business people via work and social events. I also hooked up with a reasonably well known journalist/presenter many moons ago.

A friend of mine is friends with Barack Obama, puts most of my celeb encounters to shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,848 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Jeremy Clarkson - Walking through a supermarket in London. Lovely guy actually. Down to earth and happy to pose for selfies etc.

Peter Stringfella - Nice guy too. Walking down Merrion Row.

Ronnie Wood - A bit ignorant and mad it clear he didnt want to chat. Fair enough. Pub in Clane.

Victoria and David Beckham - Reception area of the Westbury Hotel. Sound out. Happy to have a chat. We're nearly going to join us for a pint in Bruxelles but they had to head off.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Paul Hartnoll of Orbital ate breakfast beside me in Belfast a few years back. Huge fan and had been to see them the night before but didn't want to disturb him. His brother was not with him

Met Phil Selway of Radiohead once. I apologised for disturbing him, told him how much I loved his own and Radiohead's music and he was very nice. A genuinely lovely man.

Met Guy Garvey and the rest of elbow before they were very big. I was chuffed as I loved their first 2 albums and they were all sound.

Ray Darcy if he counts, many years ago. I said something silly about the Den and he took it in hood humour to be fair.

John Grant at all together now was lovely to my wife too. He's another genuinely nice bloke and has a lot of time for genuine fans it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,399 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

on Mick Hucknell's pool table while he watched

Straight into the gutter my mind went.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

The Beastie Boys with Mixmaster Mike and Money Mark

Most of Jurassic 5

Raekwon and Ghostface Killah on separate occasions.

Roots Manuva

Jerry Springer

Jenny Jones

Bez

Larry Mullen

DJ Craze

Kid Koala

Kool Keith

DJ Shortcut

Venetian Snares

Ronan Keating

40 Coats

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Curse These Metal Hands

The great Don Conroy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭inajock

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭BK5

Ha ha never thought of that 😀 Looked the song up and it was 1982 when it came out but funnily enough it was 1992 when I played on his table after a gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭BaywatchHQ

I suppose I have spoke to a few online but not terribly famous. One of my interests is autograph collecting so I have dealt via email with some actors. An example would be the woman who played John Candy's niece in Uncle Buck. Libby Kennedy from Neighbours is another person who I dealt with in autograph collecting.

I noticed recently that the former adult model Sam Fox sells signed photos in her online store. I was tempted to buy a signed topless photo of her.

Another interesting person I dealt with online was ex Big Brother presenter Davina McCall but that was for a video message purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭AllForIt

For the present times.... I once met Queen Elizabeth's horologist

I wouldn't be saying this only for you said that, and cuz the time that's in it, but I am a personal acquaintance of this man who made that for herself.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

I have never ever met anyone famous.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Scale up on that arts and crafts thing of yours and you will ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

In fairness to the chap he also met Dillie O'Wea and didn't big that up either.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

I doubt it lol! But thank you for saying such a lovely thing even if its just for a light joke.

Im just doing it because I want to express myself and see if that expression connects with people. It's pure.

Advertisement