Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who is the most famous person you have met in real life?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭LasersGoPewPew

• Registered Users Posts: 13,641 ✭✭✭✭josip

Shook hands with Mike Murphy when I was 13 and said a few words to Brian Cody when he was signing his biography for my uncle.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,758 ✭✭✭amacca

Lived in LA for a while

Think most famous would be Jim Carrey

Dave Navarro and Carmen Electra in a frozen yoghurt/ice cream place

John Goodman and Jessica Biel in a video rental place (separate occasions)

Kevin Bacon and Ben Affleck in bookshop separate occasions

Good few munster and leister rugby players

Decent amount of Irish politicians incl Michael Martin before he was taoiseach and varadkar while

The really good looking exchange student from American pie........

Richie Kavanagh 🤣

An eclectic mix

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Richard Hammons when he was on the late late show after his crash

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭supernova5

Martin Sheen,

had a fairly long conversation with him when I met him walking down one of the streets in Galway when he was over studying around the mid 2000's

Lisa Marie Presley, very briefly while in Florida

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

Neil Armstrong in Shannon airport. When I was a kid. Chatted with him for ages. Got autograph.

Bruce Springsteen, signing autographs in Gresham Hotel in late 80's

Kiefer Sutherland and Juliet Roberts, in their merc convertible looking for directions, in Limerick City. Brief chat.

Johnny Depp, Brazen head bar, Limerick City. We was mostly surrounded by women.

Fracis Rossi (Status Quo), very sound, first concert I went to in Savoy Limerick.

Lloyd Cole, Waterstone bookshop. Spoke about why he left the music scene. Was a big fan.

Frank Kelly - was filming a movie in a pub my family owned

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭mazdamiatamx5

I was one of the bridesmaids at Molly Sugdens wedding.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,816 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Had a few bevvies in the company of Aisling Bea a number of years ago. Incredibly sound and quick-witted.

Also met Arrigo Sacchi when I was younger. He signed my knock-off Italy jersey.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭griffin100

Prince Charles and Noel Edmunds - but not at the same time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭hometruths_real

Most famous is probably Joe Elliot, he was pretty sound too

• Registered Users Posts: 4,835 ✭✭✭RayCon

Mike Tyson dropped into my mates gaff in Ringsend and ate all his custard creams. True Story.

Personally I'd say the most famous people I've met were Layne Staley (asked me could I get him coke), Lars Ulrich, Kirk Hammet and Jason Newstead (outside the Top Hat after the 2nd night of the And Justice For all Tour) - they signed my t shirt.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Wezz

Met Prince Philip at a Duke of Edinburgh things when I was a student.

Met Kylie Minogue and Katy Perry on separate occasions at meet and greets after gigs.

@RayCon i need to hear that Tyson story 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 23,816 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Jeff Daniels

Jude Law

James Gandolfini

Hugh Jackman

Kate Winslet

Daniel Craig & Rachel Weisz

Gary Sinise

James Cromwell

Gemma Arterton

Chris Hemsworth

I lived in New York for a bit and had a pal who worth in Theatre promotion, so it was at various events connected with off-Broadway theatre that I met these folks.

My favourites would be Jeff Daniels and Kate Winslet, really good company and a relaxed and bawdy sense of humour.

Joe Strummer, singer from The Clash, total gentleman.

Also Jello Biafra, singer from Dead Kennedys. Was going into one of their gigs many many years ago when by chance he arrived at the venue box office just as I was entering. I asked him to sign my ticket, he said OK and went to look for a pen. He comes back out of the ticket booth and says sorry, I looked everywhere but I can't find a marker. He then takes my ticket, stuck it in his mouth and chewed it. He hands it back saying "here, you can have my DNA instead, sorry about the autograph but I'm afraid this is the next best thing I can do for you".

• Registered Users Posts: 6,848 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Ghandi

Neil armstrong

Winston Churchill

Marlon Brando

Amy huberman

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭rodneytrotter15

Keith Floyd

Richard Harris ( I was a kid )

Johnny Knocksville

Ricky Hatton

The Edge

Ian Brown

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭adgib

Shane mc Gowan, Eddie Irvine both sound

Van Morrison, obnoxious Fucker

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

Chris Hadfield (Astronaut - at a book launch)

Suzi Quatro (Glam Rock Star - at radio station interview)

Frank Kelly (Fr Jack -at radio station interview)

Steve Van Zandt (Musician Actor - at radio station interview)

The Proclaimers (Musicians - at radio station interview)

Frank Murray (Thin Lizzy & Pogues manager - at the bar in 'The Village')

For the present times.... I once met Queen Elizabeth's horologist, while I was fixing a phone system in Buckingham Palace. He was in a small room surrounded by clocks (funnily enough) and was very stressed out. It was the last week in October and he was looking through pages and pages of spreadsheets, detailing where every clock of any importance, was located in each of the royal residences, around the UK. He was then matching them up with household staff members names to make sure that they were all changed (put back an hour) during the appointed night, before the various household members woke up ..... they don't do it themselves apparently. I always miss at least one every year in my own modest house, but it is not acceptable for the royal horologist to mess up :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,040 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

The Undertaker and the Ultimate Warrior. I was very young at the time. I've never actually met anyone famous in my adult life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Mike Tyson dropped into my mates gaff in Ringsend and ate all his custard creams. True Story.

Mike got "Eye Of The Tiger" and "The Tiger Who Came To Tea" mixed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,816 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Nice guy, very engaging, met him in 2002 at what was his last ever gig in Liverpool.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭j2

• Registered Users Posts: 3,907 ✭✭✭trashcan

Michael Stipe of REM, in Easons of all places, when they were playing the 5 nights at the Olympia ! He was just browsing the magazine racks, undisturbed by anyone. I wouldn’t usually be star struck but I was a huge REM fan back in the day. I was kind of struck dumb, so the only thing I could think of was ask to shake his hand. Not made easy by the fact he had an armful of magazines ! The mortification !

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭argentum

The Pope

Stephen Spielberg

Bono

Daniel Day Lewis

• Registered Users Posts: 24,399 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Used drink the odd time in a pub I worked in. So unassuming that people wouldn't even realize who they were sitting next to.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

• Registered Users Posts: 10,660 ✭✭✭✭maccored

Lemmy - he tried to get me arrested

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭blingrhino

Bob geldoff on a flight from carcassonne, sat beside him ,he was liking the stardom.

Robbie keane in Crystal nightclub.sound got a selfie.

Kerry and Brian when they were married opening nightclub in drogheda. She was a cnut.he ok .

The corrs all of them grew up beside them ,all sound ,even Jim !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,581 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

I met Chuck D , wandering around Electric Picnic years back, no one recognised him , a real inovator of Hip Hop - he was so grounded and chilled.

Advertisement