Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are LOI Fans West Brits?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,553 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

I have been to literally hundreds,maybe aproaching a thousand LOI games over the past 35 years.

I'm not saying it never happens, but never once have I encountered a LOI fan who had become a fan as a result of disillusionment with their English/Scottish team.

And there are only a certain number of chants...fans sing the same songs in many different countries, and fans import songs/chants/activities they like from other countries (the Icelandic clapping chant and the 'Poznan' being two recent well-known examples).

With the exception of the horrible 'Whooahhhya' chant in an English accent, I can't think of anything else that makes me think of West Brit.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,528 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

To be fair, O, the ones I’ve encountered don’t come out and say “I’m sick of seeing United lose and play terribly”, they say they’re after the “purity” of live soccer and that the English game has been ruined by money. Stuff like that.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Claiming to support? I know fans that have traveled to the uk hundreds of times to support their team, perhaps you simply don't understand the fact that football is a global game.

Organic, natural and local.. its football we are talking about here and not yogurt. Your knocking EPL fans which is just as bad as knocking LOI fans.

The fact is the LOI is a much lower standard of football which is why its not as popular. The OP shouldn't be calling anybody west brits or do you have an issue with people liking things just because they are English?

Of course it's sincere support. Hundreds of millions of people get happiness from following a football team, do these people not deserve to have a bit of happiness?

Still a sports fan, once theirs some emotional investment, once the result matters to you. Some people may even prefer to watch on TV. How would it work otherwise, would you get a stamp when you watch the gave live telling you that your a real fan?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

Nah, there's no hierarchy, you're not a better person if you're a hardcore fan. But are you a sports fan at all if you only watch it on TV? I don't think it's the same thing as going to a game anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

Anyway, back on topic. LOI games are full of genuine soccer fans, but there tends to be a sprinkling who certainly ape the ways of British supporters, so most LOI fans are not west Brits, but those who are make a lot of noise and are noticed disproportionately.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,528 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

To be fair, most LoI fans are there to enjoy the games. Just seems like a large element of the Rovers and Bohs “fans” reveal in causing trouble.

Has there been any significant crowd “trouble” at any games not involving either side in the last few years? I wouldn’t associate violence with any other side, certainly not to the extent of Rovers or Bohs.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 33,005 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Can't wait to head to the Brandywell tonight with 3000 other West Brits.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,524 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I gave LOI a go a long time ago for many years but the standard was fairly poor , not much better than i played myself

With older age & no free time now its just back to supporting Liverpool ,

Although when the young fella is old enough i will no doubt go back to games & let him decide himself if its for him ,

It's not the same experience, just a different way of been a fan. If Shamrock Rovers had millions of Americans watching them on tv they would be very happy. Going back to the OP, it sounds like the OP knows very little about how fans act during live matches.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,937 ✭✭✭pgj2015

• Registered Users Posts: 33,005 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

At least we didn't bow down like lap dogs and apologise like Rovers did.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Quitelife

LOI is quite a Dublin thing from my experience, many Premier LOI clubs are in Dublin or close to it Dundalk/Bray etc and a lot of Dubs play with the other teams outside of Dublin.

Im going to see Treaty on Friday night v UCD( another Dublin Team) in the cup quarter final, i might get to 2/3 matchs a year . I do find LOI supporters have a chip on their shoulder though about the popularity of GAA and Rugby which i find a bit of a turnoff as Rugby and Hurling would be my favourite sports but i still get in some soccer games at LOI & Junior soccer .

About a decade ago,

Didn't enjoy watching it as the standard wasn't great at all so went back to just going to Prem games when I can,

Iv played football my whole life and just prefer watching the top end of the game nothing wrong with that

Its like asking a Formula 1 fan why they don't watch spend that time watching Formula 3000 or actual lower than that instead

The standard has improved a lot over the past few years. I would rather watch live LOI football in person than a premier league game on tv. But yeah what ever if you like Liverpool, knock yourself out. You arent doing anything to help your own league though or national team, and id guess you arent English or from Liverpool.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Randomfriend

It's worth dipping your toe in again and at least trying to catch the European games when they come around every year, lots of fun seeing how the clubs do against clubs from other countries, atmosphere is always great too. Rovers still have 5 games in the Europa Confrence league this season. They will also be on TV on Virgin of course.

League is very young now, also plenty of young progressive coaches, league is by and large much more technical these days, I think the league was a lot older and tougher a decade ago, some of those sides were actually excellent as well but I don't think there was as much of an emphasis to play constructive football across as many clubs as there would be now. A lot comes down to how many matches you go to and who you watch really.

Much of the underage international sides are packed with domestic based players, you'll be seeing more and more future internationals playing in the league before they head abroad, you never forget spotting a gem for the first time, it's pretty cool to follow the career path of someone you saw playing at home .

Oh I know its no question I will be back at them, have to let the young lad make his own mind up so ill certainly be taking him

• Registered Users Posts: 18,240 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

That if football tourism brand support. i have already emphasised the global brand nature of the EPL teams many Irish people claim to support in sporting sense. But it is more a brand support than actual sporting support. That is the global nature of the branding.

Because the initial interest is likely formed at young age for impressionable young Irish watchers because of a winning brand and global marketing. The equivalent of McDonalds instead of the local chipper.

Plus 30 years ago no way would you see many Irish people going around with Chelsea and Man City jerseys. We know why we see it now, it has nothing to with loyalty, it is branding and a teams global success.

Football tourists have effected the atmosphere in some EPL grounds isn't there a joke about Old Trafford being called a library, because of tourists snapping photos? Just there for the event not the sport itself.

The other major drawback is lack of community, it is manufactured as I said. How often would an Irish football fan see an EPL superstar out shopping or walking down O'Connell Street?

Whereas in Tallaght, Rovers supporters could bump into Ronan Finn and Jack Byrne. And say 'Ah howaya good luck the next day' etc.

Meanwhile there is not only a geographical distance between Irish EPL consumers and EPL players, there is a psychological distance between themselves and the players.

Not only do they rarely see them, they are multimillionaires and are not as relatable as a local LOI lad. But the global brand of certain clubs are strong. If people like competitive sport, in this case soccer they would watch games regardless of the level. If other people are more interested in the glamour event they would follow the global EPL brands. That is the truth of it.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

As a GAA loving culchie; I'd rank the LoI as follows in terms of how the plain people of Ireland see soccer at domestic league level:

1). Pats, Shels, Waterford

2). Cork, Limerick

3). Longford

4) Galway, Harps, Sligo, Wexford

5) Bohs, Rovers

6) Bray

• Advertisement

No it's called supporting your team, it's not my fault that my team is not based in Ireland. The fact is young people would rather watch superstars rather than pretty good players, its just a fact of life. You can't tell kids they have to watch ordinary players when you have the likes of Messi and Ronaldo doing truly amazing things a few years ago.

Same rules apply to LOI teams, they need to win matches in order to get fans. A LOI team winning the league and doing well in Europe with generate more fans.

And do you think Shamrock Rovers would turn away fans if they are not going to make noise? Yes one of the bad things about watching football on tv is that you can forget that when watching live you need to participate rather than just expecting to be entertained.

Lots of people couldn't care less about the community, many people say they don't have a local team that represents them.

A big factor with supporting the EPL is you can have people you care about like family, friends, workmates etc that share your passion. In Ireland one of the most popular conversation starters with men is who do you follow and often the answer is an EPL team, it's great.

I watch EPL matches and I have watched live LOI matches, more people should do both.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Would it be their support of Black Lives Matter or their anti-poppy chants that make them right wing?

I think you may have your wings askew there.

I have no idea what you are trying to say? what?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭growleaves

Surely though you see there is a connection between Ireland and Manchester and Liverpool due to big Manchester-Irish and Liverpool-Irish communities, and reflected in their having Irish players before the era when there was lots of Euro players in the English leagues?

Man Utd had Irish players like Roy Keane (ex-Cobh Ramblers), Denis Irwin, Paul McGrath, Kevin Moran (ex-Bohs), Johnny Giles (also at Leeds)

Home Farm used to be sponsored by Everton for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,240 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

It is not the same as your own local side though It is? It is trying to find a connection however loose.

When a contingent of Irish players land in British club it burns brighter for a while such as Sunderland under Keane, or Villa in the 90s

But for such clubs the Irish interest wanes. As the British club sells Irish players or becomes less successful.

Let’s call a spade a spade many Irish people who talk up Man United and Liverpool connections only really do so because they are relatively consistently successful.

If those teams dropped down the divisions suddenly a large chunk of Irish ‘supporters’ would find another British team to find a connection with. They would lose interest no glamour attached. Brand not as strong.

A supporter of a local side always has that connection it is their club. It’s proper loyalty, proper community stuff. Not flown in occasional ‘support’ from overseas.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,507 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

The subject of the thread was are LOI fans West Brits, not why do some Irish people support foreign clubs. But seeing as it has gone that way, I am amazed that people find it incredible that this is the case. As a for instance Liverpool has official fan clubs in over 100 countries.

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/fans/official-lfc-supporters-clubs

• Registered Users Posts: 13,852 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

What a sad attitude. Played football for years as a kid and as an adult. Great comradeship. Great healthy exercise. Great sense of community.

Like with most team sports, people tend not to play beyond their mid-30s.

Myself and a lot of other lads I know that played football, now run marathons. Playing football from an early age has given us all a great base in fitness and means we are amongst the fittest people in the country in our age bracket.

I feel sorry for your kids.

If they were to find another English team they were not real fans anyway. If Manu or Liverpool ever got relegated they would still have lots of fans in Ireland. Most EPL fans would agree that you can change your wife but you can't change your club. I know a good few Leeds and Villa fans in Ireland that still supported their club in the championship.

There are many ways to develop an emotional connection to a club, its naive to assume theirs only one way. You sound like you have never spoken to a EPL fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,376 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

iv never heard of the sport of GAA. Is that Football, Hurling, Handball or even Rounders? That’s like saying the Irish soccer team play the sport of FIFA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Advertisement