Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are LOI Fans West Brits?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Like organised fan groups, and pretty fanatical compared to the average fan, but not necessarily violent or hooligans (plenty are though). Because they are so organised they can organise huge displays, flags and banners during a game or will sing all match long regardless of the score.

They bring a lot of atmosphere but it's not always a good thing as it's can be separated from the actual game itself.

Things like this (which I was lucky enough to see live)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

No, no, I dont mean in terms of violence now Emmet, rather in how parts of the fans organise themselves. When I was there years ago there was a group of young lads with a drum, songs, banners, flares etc. The Shed End Invincibles I think?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,507 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Summer football doesn't suit the Count.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,528 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Apologies, Riff. When I think of Ultras I automatically think of the Italian “types” who stab each other in the arse cheeks and attack club board members.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 7,058 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

If LOI fans are West Brits then what does that make all those Celtic/Liverpool/Man U fans?

Football chanting is not a strictly British thing. There are very few original football chants. They are practically all copied from popular songs with the words changed or heard at one place and then adapted by fans for their own teams. The fact that England is the biggest English-speaking football market means Irish football fans are going to copy them most, especially when English football gets so much exposure here and there are so many Irish people who support English teams.

Fan behaviour in the UK itself has been influenced by fans from other parts, look a few seasons back to when several clubs fans started doing the 'Poznan' or there were attempts to get that Iceland clapping thing going.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Spivs and cornerboys mindlessly aping their british counterparts

Unsuprisingly, the FAI requires welfare payments to survive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭CGI_Livia_Soprano
    Holding tyrants to the fire

The FAI should be stripped of its responsibilities and disbanded with a new association in its place. It’s one of the worst run organisations I have ever seen, and the rot runs too deep to be salvaged.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭Greyfox

It makes perfect sense to have a local team and a foreign team, they offer different experiences and are unlikely to play each other competitively. English football has always been the most popular football in Ireland as it has been a great product for decades. Their is too much money involved these days but once you support a club you support them for life

Your actually the only person in Ireland who thinks that Manu fans have switched from their club to a LOI club

Ah now, that’s a fair bit of a stretch. You can’t tell me you don’t know anyone who used to be a big United fan who no longer “support the English premier league”.

I’m actually surprised that more, real, United fans aren’t more píssed off with the lads who’ve “jumped ship” or come up with lame excuses for not following them anymore.

The tide is turning…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭growleaves

Have to agree with EmmetSpiceland here, who I don't usually see eye to eye with.

I was at a BBQ a few weeks ago when Man Utd had lost 4-0 to Brentford and my mate's mate said (joking but serious) 'I'll have to stick with Bohs!'

A few Man-Utd-turned-LOI-supporters in office I worked in a few years ago during the heyday of Moyes and Van Gaal.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,029 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

They're starting to play well again - watch out for the u-turn....!

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Count Dracula

English football has always been the most popular football in Ireland as it has been a great product for decades

I would have thought Gaelic Football was a more popular, but I stand to be corrected.

Don't get me wrong I used to spend hours of my summers kicking ball around the fields using jumpers for goal posts, soccer is a very enjoyable game.... to play.

But do you think the chanting in British accents is a direct mimic, or is it a nod to British Tribalism having a succinct and possibly latent influence on LOI fans behaviour? Is there a correlation between them?

I just cannot escape of the irony of LOI fans jeering the death of the monarch of the country, from which they have derived so much passion and enjoyment in their lives?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,367 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

The distaste for soccer continues in Ireland it seems.

All the waffle about fan violence being the preserve of Rovers and Bohs is nonsense of the highest order, I remember being pelted with bottles trying to exit Richmond Park some years ago by the supposedly we behaved St Pat's fans.

In truth the number of supporters engaging in violence is small and spread evenly amongst most clubs (well apart from UCD).

As for the west brit element of the discussion, pure nonsense. Soccer fans are always seen as less Irish than the people attending GAA and Rugby grounds. It's always going to be that way I suppose.

Glazers Out!

Yeah, the new manager “bounce”. But how long will it go on for? Would take a major final or close tilt at the title, followed by a win, to turn the heads of these fickle, fair weather, ex-United fans.

I would have serious concerns for the attendances at LoI games, particularly the ones at Bohs and Rovers, should the glory hunters dust off the old United jersey, stretching over their protruding bellies, and heading back to the pub to roar “Oo arr ya?!” at the big screen.

The tide is turning…

Haha, a stopped clock and all that, G! I’ll let you decide which one us is the clock.

Funnily enough, I noticed the same in my work. Previously vocal United supporters got more and more quiet. Then when Liverpool won that champions league, a few years ago, a couple of Liverpool fans in the office came in looking for a bit of revenge on the United fans who’d been shoving it down their throats for years.

Surprise, surprise, they weren’t up for it at all. They no longer followed the English league. What can you do? I, personally, as a Leeds fan, was disgusted and those people went down in my estimations. And they weren’t the only, previously vocal, United “fans”, I’ve encountered who’ve ditched them by the wayside.

I admire any United fan who is sticking by their team and hoping they will get back on top. That there is a true fan.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 19,069 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Once was enough, he doesn’t need to listen to 90 minutes of racist and homophobic comments.

Well, to be fair, it wouldn't have killed you to tone it down a bit for the hour and a half

Bohs seem to attract an unmerciful amount of wánkers as fans. That’s my main observation of LoI.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,357 ✭✭✭corner of hells

• Registered Users Posts: 13,269 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

There is a significant trendy activist type following some Dublin teams.

Football is so working class, don't you know. They are taking their ques from what they see working class fans in England do, it's not West Brit mentality, it's that they have no idea what they should do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭rogerywalters

You dont think there is football chants in every country in the world? You are a bit on the dim side. Enjoy next monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,852 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Love going to watch our league here.

But let’s be honest, we’d all rather be down in Roscommon watching a ref get battered at a Gah match, but time and Monet…..

I think though you'll find a lot of Manu fans just went quiet rather than changing club. Any fans who decides to not support their club anymore were never football fans in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,937 ✭✭✭pgj2015

The biggest west brits are the Irish people who only support British teams. spend their money on foreign teams. imagine how good our league would be if all that money went to Irish teams, Irish teams still punch above their weight, example sligo rovers beating Motherwell fc 3-0 over 2 games in europe this year. instead we have a league that is laughed at by our own even though most have never even been to a LOI game.

Sorry but you're talking complete nonsense. All you're doing is indulging your own prejudices.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

Association Football supporters worldwide have sung an array of songs some beautiful, some wonderfully mocking often of powerful but sometimes loathed owners (like the Glazier bros for MUFC). It almost recalls how Romans in the hippodrome of Rome or Constantinople would chant their happiness or disgruntlement to the emperor and his friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Count Dracula

Sligo Rovers get a pass in fairness.

They put Bananarama on the map in fairness.

Na Na Na Na, Na Na Na Na .

Great club all said and a credit to themselves.

I wouldn’t call it a “prejudice”. I, myself, follow a team who went from winning the league to getting relegated as far as League One, the third division.

I’ve no time for any fans who ditch their side simply because they are no longer winning. It’s fair weather nonsense and deserves to be called out.

All true United fans shouldn’t accept it. Especially, if they see them coming out of the woodwork in a few years when they aren’t so rubbish.

The tide is turning…

You're posting here as if the couple of people in your office represent a large cohort of Manchester United fans, surely you can see how your own personal experience is hardly representative of anything.

There are a couple of Leeds fans on this site who are so absolutely overwhelmed by their hatred of Manchester United that they'll say absolutely anything about the club, it's fans and anything even loosely related to it, I guess I can add you to that list now.

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement

Oh, it’s not just the office ones. That was just an example of when I felt sorry for the Liverpool fans. They waited a long time to get one over and when they did their targets just picked up the ball and went home with it. Very unsporting behaviour.

I’ve encountered others, friends of mine and friends of friends. And, if you look a few posts back you’ll see that I am not alone in this and that’s from a user who you could never accuse of us being in “cahoots”.

I’ve actually never encountered any other Leeds fans on this site. I did see the crest on someone’s avatar but never “engaged” with them, or anything. Tell that other couple I was asking for them anyway.

The tide is turning…

Advertisement