Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do bad tradespeople stay in business?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Gas fitter attempted to fit a reconditioned PCB into my boiler. It was clearly old, full of carbon dust etc. He also fitted it wrong by reversing the pump connections on a combi boiler. That's how I found out about the old Pcb. I was charged for a new one..

This type of thing is rampant on pumps (as per other poster). Normally its the flow switch that goes and it can be repaired. Charge new, fit old.

It's really bad practice from so called professional. Fitting old and refurbished is OK only if it's declared as such and the customer says OK.

The practice of quoting a price and then at payment time saying it was a cash and Vat free deal is unprofessional. Receipts are essential for all work and paying cash with no receipt is facilating tax evasion.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Any time I've been purchasing tools of late, the lads on the continent are always a good bit cheaper than here.

Irish businesses generally have a real problem providing value.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

the last decent sized job i did the fixings and sealants etc were over 500 euro. hardly insegnificant

all the smaller stuff adds up fast

im nots saying they would be second hand just older stock that the trade doesnt have a receipt for.

• Advertisement

That is different as they are bought in bulk for that job. For small job I don't think you would be going out buying boxes of screws or sealant. They are normally in the bag or van things, and commonly used day to day. If you had to buy a particular sealant or colour, then it would be correct to invoice that cost.

why would van stock not be invoiced .

fair enough if its a few screws but thats fairly rare unless its a tiny job

i buy in bulk to cover multiple jobs and future jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭HBC08

Bad tradespeople stay in business because of supply and demand.Theres not enough good tradespeople about,also if you're stuck ie you boiler stops working on 23rd December (this actually happened to me last year) you're going to take anyone who says they can do it.In my own case i was lucky that my regular boiler man was very sound and called out to me.

If you can't get a recommended or reputable person then you are taking a leap of faith and they might turn out excellent or terrible or somewhere in between.

You can try to minimise the risk here by seeing if there are online reviews,never use travellers or cold callers etc but it's still a risk.

My way to deal with this is to use friends who I trust to do the work or tradespeople with recommendations from friends/acquaintances.Its not that difficult to throw it into a few WhatsApp groups either and see who comes back with some suggestions.

Always make sure to pay on time/upfront or whatever they want (I always give a generous tip to my mechanic who will then fit me in quickly any time I need him)

You need to build up a reliable network of tradespeople because between handyman,tree surgeon,mechanic,boiler,painter,gardener etc you're going to be dealing with them a lot over the years.

Find a good person,treat them well if they treat you well and have a good relationship going forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 MV33

I Really feel sorry for apprentices now and in the future.

They are learning from a shockingly bad generation of trades people now.

Also foremen have a lot to answer for in this country. They are happy to turn the other way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,357 ✭✭✭corner of hells

• Registered Users Posts: 8,286 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Although tradesmen seem to be particularly bad, they're far from the only ones who provide a poor service. I have posted extensively on boards about my experiences with GPs and with the HSE (and agencies engaged by the HSE) in relation to homecare. These are examples of essential services outsourced to the private sector using public money. GPs are a law onto themselves and the HSE is utterly useless at managing the performance of private sector agencies THAT IT ENGAGED.

I was reminded of that after reading the post in this thread about a County Council providing disability grant money to a homeowner with an approved contractor carrying out the works. Then when the work wasn't up to standard, the Council didn't want to know about it and instead were talking about prosecuting the homeowner. Jesus wept.

The post in this thread about the missing brick and trying to convince the customer to accept a different brick - sounds like a small thing but that would erode my confidence in someone and make me think they have a FIID mentality - "fcuk it, it'll do".

I think customers who have high standards, have done their research, expect punctuality etc. are seen as pedantic nerds in this country. A kind of tall poppy syndrome. Acceptance of poor workmanship then becomes cultural. Add to that the ineptitude of public bodies when it comes to procurement, performance management and regulation and is it any wonder that there are large numbers of useless fcukers about, in trades and other sectors.

I am rrferring to a dab or strip of mastic and a few screws. Sure, if you want to charge for them you can but it's really marginal cost.

Remember that British program Rogue Traders ?

We got a good plumber, knows what he's doing and reliable, comes when he says and finished the job and now we're asking him to do extra work not planned but he'll do it of course for a fee. He's not cheap but we got most of the rads replaced with TRV and running pipes to the hot press through the attic for a pellet stove we're having fitted. He did a good job and he cleans up after himself.

In our old house the lads we got to do the bathroom did a good job too, reliable and knew what they were doing. But it is difficult to find people to do proper work.

Getting someone to cut a pine tree for less than 2500 Euro's has been a challenge and need to get another tree cut too but 3500-4K to cut two trees seems highly excessive ? I could never imagined People want to charge so much and "that's including a discount for the wood " up the yard.

Only for their close proximity to the house I'd do it myself, the roots of the pine are breaking up the ground and now at the footpath so we really need to get rid, if anyone knows someone good around the Carlow area let me know.

You'd think there's be people glad of the free wood for a bit of work no ?

The last couple of times we got People off the internet that had been reviewed and we leave good feedback when it's deserved so definitely anyone who is good should advertise on the web. You know the sites that you put up what you want done and they call back, you check the reviews etc, a lot safer than someone unknown with no reputation.

Electricians

Carpenters

Brick Layers

Plasterers

Plumbers

Etc

Funny enough the Foremen seem to turn a blind eye to build quality.

Snaggers are so used to the sh1te standards even they seem to have started ignoring many faults

• Registered Users Posts: 24,816 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Because of the shortage of tradespeople and the pressure to finish, get to the next job etc, quality is suffering… we obtained the quote in the first quarter of the year ! and it’s only last week we get the work done….

lots of bad tradespeople in business because of a lack of tradespeople….

many don’t have any trade and it’s a monkey see monkey do operation.

Thank god my trade is there or I'd feel left out.

If standards are so poor why aren't houses / buildings collapsing, burning down , heating installations going on fire ?

As for snagging , no snagger should go near either plumbing or electrical installation.

All electrical installations have tested verified and signed off , I think plumbing has to be too and gas installation is to be of RGI standard.

Hold on.

Just to be clear on what you are saying.

Are you saying that as a tradesman…… You rate the quality of work based on if the buildings collapsing, burning down , heating installations going on fire ?

If none of the above happens it’s a quality job.

Should a concrete floor be level?

Should internal walls be plumb?

Should the thermostat upstairs control the heating downstairs and visa versa?

Should tiles be lose on the bathroom floor?

Should the shower tray in the en-suite actually be connected to a pipe correctly or do new builds come with water features in living rooms.

300 new houses in our development with an average of 160 snags per house.

but based on what you categorised as quality I’m guessing you are a foreman.

”Sur doesn’t it have 4 walls and a roof” “Tis a grand job”

I mean how the F can people not even fit switch and plug sockets straight.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

I see you set the bar quite high. Is that the safety checks? Well the building didn't fall down lads so it's a perfect job!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,286 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I see there is a very active and rapidly growing solar panel owners group on Facebook. People are panicing about energy costs and desperate to get panels installed. In situations like this, there is a big risk of price gouging and/or work not being done right and that cowboy installers will spring up. As a result I'd be dubious about getting panels in at this time. There are some photos on the FB group which show installers working on roofs without complying with H&S standards, what other corners are they cutting.

• Advertisement

I bill out miscellaneous aswell,50 euro for any reasonable sized job.....few cable ties/sealents etc etc soon run into money

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭Ginger83

At least it's possible to make a complaint to a medical board about a GP but builders can leave a job any way at all and just walk away.

Under a disabled grant the vat can be reclaimed by the disabled person. We had to fight with the builder to get a vat invoice because they told us we didn't pay vat. In the end we had to threaten to involve Revenue but it just shows the neck of a builder not declaring grant payments.

i generally add 5 euro a day to cover that sort of stuff. sometimes more or less depending on the type of work.

i find its disposible gloves, wonder wipes, bin bags, duct tape, impact bits for driving screws, multitool / recip saw blades and dust masks that add up the fastest.

i never seem to directly invoice for stuff like that unless using loads. im always buying these things. they are not cheap

So , was it a company employed to looks for snags ? Or did customers do their own snagging?

What has that got to do with my question to you or are you ducking my points?

I will answer so you can answer.

Nearly all residents used the same snagging company who were familiar with the Development and Surrounding Developments

Company was http://snagpro.ie/

Advertisement