Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Motor Tax

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭ordinaryfella

I think it's impossible to find a system that satisfies everyone, but the Dutch system seems decent to me. A good set of criteria that effect real life. Not just engine big more money please.

In your scenario someone could remove their petrol tank and get an engineers report detailing it. Problem solved

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Calculate your Dutch motor tax here:

https://business.gov.nl/regulation/motor-vehicle-tax/

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭ordinaryfella

I guarantee it's less than I pay now, I've got a horse in this race!

But seriously, would you like to see a change in the system?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

I know my opinion is not going to be popular here (which I actually always found to be odd on motors forum), but I genuinely think that motor tax should be scrapped - not replaced.

I just still can't comprehend the idea of paying a fee for privilege of being able to use my own vehicle. Maybe it made sense long time ago, when own vehicle was a luxury. But nowadays, fact that car is necessity for most people, completely invalidates the idea of motortax.

If country's budget needs that €1bn which motortax brings, then it should be obtained in other way (maybe increase of vat or income tax, etc). Charging extra tax just because you want to use a vehicle is just dump. Can't see a single reason why.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭mikeecho

If motor tax was scrapped in the morning, and additional tax added elsewhere to recoup the loss, in a few years time it would be reintroduced as a quick way to get more revenue.

History has a habit of repeating itself.

Fado fado, The taoiseach jack lynch scrapped motor tax for certain vehicles, and this was managed by adding a few pence to petrol.

Not long after, it was reversed, and motor tax was again required, however the few extra pence stayed on petrol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,158 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

In an ideal world yes we would all love it gone but we don't live in an ideal world.

The idea of obtaining it from other areas instead such as income tax or VAT isn't fair either. There are still plenty of people who don't own a car, moving the motor tax burden to everyone in the form of additional income tax or VAT means they will be paying for it whether they own a car or not would be political suicide for any political party.

And as the poster above says, even if they did they would reintroduce in on the car owner in another shape or form not long afterwards so you would end up paying it twice, just like they tried to do with water rates in recent times. Also they introduced a universal social charge (USC) tax on everyone's income as a "temporary" measure after the banking crisis years ago, it's still there and not going anywhere.

Reality is that the vehicle owner is an easy source of taxation and that is not going to change.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭BobDole22

• Registered Users Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭creedp

I know nobody likes to pay tax but for for most ICE drivers, especially for post 08 cars, VRT, VAT and fuel duty are far more significant than Motor Tax.

It's a bit ironic that some EV drivers are calling for the abolition of €120 a year motor tax, which is about the only motor related cost most pay, with the cost transferred to ICE drivers who are already far more heavily burdened by motor related taxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,581 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Sounds great!

Electric and hydrogen vehicles

You do not pay motor vehicle tax (zero tariff) for:

• fully electric cars
    • hydrogen powered cars

Classic vehicles

Do you own a vintage vehicle? You may have to pay less or no mrb at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭saabsaab

I don't know if it's just EV drivers. It is far wider that that especially those using pre 2009 old cars like students pensioners and low waged. I also think that any shortfall should go on fuels not elsewhere. If a Government was to reintroduce it it would not be a vote getter.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Tax isn't always fair. Understand that and you'll be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭creedp

So are you calling for reduced tax on pre 08 cars or zero tax on EVs. Both are extremely unlikely to happen so future shortfalls are most likely to relate to increased EV ownership. Simple solution to make up any shortfall really.

No car tax on all cars. Add shortfall to the f fuel(s) only. Simple to do keep a small reg fee say 50 a year across the board if they are worried.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭9935452

Realistically that wont happen eithre.

The sums have been done before. They would have to put between 30 and 50c on a litre to cover the motor tax . Worst case scenario is the government puts back on the 12/15c reduction and you have the bones of 2.50 litre, people wont take it. More incentive to run green diesel.

Secondly,whatever the government do, they wont lose out. The long term goal for them is to replace ice cars with ev . They take motor tax off electric cars as long term , thats gonna be their revenue stream. In reality they will put it up more and they have a history of doing this. In 2008 the lowest tax rate was 105 euros. Now 200 .

Thirdly as mentioned here , the government would just reintroduce it again as they have done before.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭NBar

If one doesn't like the tax rate on a car whether it be petrol, diesel , electric or whatever its made to run on then don't buy it, Buy one that you can afford to run. The current system is here to stay so live with it. For the record I have 3 cars on different rates and I have them cause I want them and enjoy when it suits me to put them on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,463 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Tax rates attached.

The €199 rate in 2008 was for a 1000cc or lower car, €200 rate now covers some considerably larger cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,581 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭jaffa20

Is there any changes this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭mailforkev

No changes for the motorist that I spotted.

I just had a look at that Dutch motor tax site there, I'd save 120 on my electric car, but my other one would be 595 per quarter (270 a year here). Ouch.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,312 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

Am I doing this right? Cars CO2 emissions is 255g/km, site tells me the car tax in the Netherlands would be just over €50,000 😱😱😱

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭9935452

Back in 2008 when they introduced the co2 taxing system the bottom band up to 120g was taxed at 100 euro. Next year it was 104 euro

Today the band is 110g to 120g is now 200 euro.

As i say they have a history of putting tax rates not dropping them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

The weight and volume of the vehicle should be considered in calculating the tax for private vehicles. Might see less unnecessary large SUV things on the roads, better for the environment, safety and road maintenance.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭BobDole22

Agreed those monstrosities should be taxed out of existence and those ridiculous ford rangers for all the small cocks as well.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,040 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I drive an EV and it does about 30,000km per year and I pay €120 to tax it.

I also have a diesel that only does about 500km a year and I pay €710 to tax it.

Yin & Yang

• Registered Users Posts: 51,158 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I guess the OP won't be back until this time next year to start another similar thread. It's an annual event at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,463 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Sorry, a bit of a crossed wire there I thought you were referring to the old rates.

You are right they dipped the motorists pockets when times got hard.

Yes but my point was that it the road tax be added to it. Talk of mileage done and vehicle weight based systems are too complex and probably easy to manipulate.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,506 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Is that not their BMP, a bit like VRT, rather than Motor Tax? You need to look at MRB.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,312 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

Ah, redid it in Dutch using Google to translate (🤞🏼) & it worked out around €850 for the year 👍🏼

• Advertisement
Advertisement