Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Objective view on Vladimir Putin?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,293 ✭✭✭jmreire

So Hitler loved dogs and was a vegetarian...I'd say that these were the only positive points he had. Unfortunately, he treated his fellow human beings appallingly different, millions of them, in fact. Or did his vegetarianism forbid the weekly slaughter of millions of cattle, sheep and pigs? Like all other monsters of his ilk, the public persona he presented was completely different to what he actually was. But if the SS deemed it necessary that as a final test of their loyalty, recruits who had each been given an Alsatian pup at the start of the training, under orders had to kill the grown dog several months later to pass, do you think that Hitler would interfere with SS training? If the recruit could not bring himself to kill the dog, when ordered, how could he be considered 100% loyal to Hitler?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭archer22

Give it over, your yarn about the SS killing Dogs is a complete load of skutter...just because you have been conditioned to believe such garbage doesn't make it true.

Another poster on here mentioned Leon Uris as the source of this information, and that's where I got it too. Maybe you should contact him about it, or read the book? And my other comments about Hitler and the Nazi's were all "skutter" too? ( your words..)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭archer22

Never heard of "Leon Uris" and have no idea who the clown is nor do I care, and I most certainly won't waste my money on his book.

Up to you, but you can google how the Nazis used dogs to kill in the concentration camps. Makes for horrific reading, if you have the stomach for it. So much for Hitler and his Nazi's love of animals. These dogs were killed by the Americans as being accessories to murder in the camps, they were so well trained to kill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,938 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

A writer of historical fiction, so how much of any book is historical and how much is fiction is anyone's guess I suppose (unless you're a historian)

Wikipedia:

At age six, Uris reportedly wrote an operetta inspired by the death of his dog. 

Hmmmm.

Also Waffen-SS recruitment was almost a million men in total (And long before the end of the war they started recruiting non-Germans and even non-"Aryans" into what was supposed to be their force of elite "racial soldiers") - so if they couldn't get enough men where TF were they going to get all the dogs and food for them from, when food supplies and civilian rations were dwindling rapidly? When dogs were needed for actual military purposes why would they be raising them in vast numbers only to kill them before they became adult?

It's a tall tale and doesn't add up.

Life ain't always empty.

Not being able to defeat a country a fraction of its size with a fraction of its military looks pretty damn weak to me

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,126 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

You're unsure of the phrase alpha male? Are you sure you're not using a bad english-russian translator?

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭foxsake

no.

perhaps you didnt read what I wrote - I said "not sure the meaning as in the different distinctions ...never looked into it."

the "OTHER" distinctions as in the other types of male they claim exist beyond alpha - like sigma or beta.

I've no idea what they mean well I've an idea of beta based on internet insults...but you get the point.

I'd never use alpha without knowing the others - i'd hate to mis-personality type somebody ....

well we'll see.... you could say it's not really ukraines military though.... cos it's not.

Not that I want Russia to win , I'd rather they stopped fighting asap.

a poor choice of measure all the same....much better out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭Brid Hegarty

But how? He failed at the most important responsibility of his job... to improve the quality of life of the Russian people. Since he took over power he made Russia a very poor country. A phenomenal amount of Russians emigrate each year and the country has a forever falling population. He might have a mysterious demeanour, and people mistake that as him being smart. Being being stubborn and having contempt for others does not equate to intelligence. He has failed his country in every way. He was even stupid enough to think propaganda and mind control could work - with the internet - in the 21st century. He thought that his own citizens were so stupid that they would believe that there were nazis in the Ukraine!

I'd have been more inclined to say that, bad and all as your average western politician is, that "you got to admit" that Putin is more detached from reality than they are! That would have given your comment more likes.

• Advertisement

@[Deleted User] ...the yanks don't care about Ukrainians,but are happy to tie Russia up in an endless landwar

Well it suits you to think that. But I don't really think the U.S views Russia as a competitor that it wants to one up. Now maybe it's a bonus, but I doubt it's the main reason. Maybe it was a little bit like that back in the 60s with the space race timeline, but for the most part the U.S has got too many other things going for itself now to enjoy making Russia look bad. Why does the U.S helping Ukraine have to be because of some cynical reason? Why can't it just be because they have the human decency to help out a country in need, like they would for us? Or like they did before in WW2.

a poor choice of measure all the same....much better out there.

But you won't tell us what they are. OK.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Subzero3

He's soft. Or maybe he's big hearted. I don't know. Russia needed him at the time during the late 90s. Now they need someone decisive and not afraid to crack a few skulls.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Look at the cluster f in Ukrianie. Its his fault its a mess. Any other World leader going to war with the means at his disposal would have brought Ukrianie to the table. Look at how decisive Bush was in Iraq and Afghanistan. Brought them to the table or disposed the leader's.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,215 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

If they weren't Nazi's,.aka people with swatikas ect, then what were they? Were the Hitler tattoos fake?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭bmc58

A massive robbing son of a b%tch from his own people and country.

Are you calling for yet more atrocities against Ukrainian civilians, is that it?

Life ain't always empty.

• Advertisement

How is cracking skulls a solution to any of Russia's problems? Hasn't there been enough of that?

As regards the nazis; do you believe whatever people there may or may not have been with a few tattoos (whatever it is you've fallen for), were a threat to Russians citizens in Ukraine? And do you believe that was the real reason Putin invaded? If so, do you think it worked?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,576 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I don't think Putin cares much for his people. If he did he would not have started a stupid war on a Democratic peaceful country and basically put Russia back 30 years. He has had more than enough time there to make Russia a great country to make it a powerhouse like China and a Superpower like it was but he has done neither. All Putin cares about is his own power and luxury. Also he has taking over all the media in his country to brainwash the majority of his people to believe what he wants and see what he wants them to see.

The only way back for Russia is for Putin and his cronies to go and some others in power are starting to see that now too.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

No, my point is when he needed to be decisive he failed. Any other leader with what he had at his disposal would of got a better outcome for Russia. He was to soft.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Been the Hitler fanboi talking about his love for animals, famously lost his testicle to a goat while playing you show me yours and I'll show you mine with a billy goat ....

Animal lover indeed

Post edited by Gatling on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,043 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

He doesn’t care because he won’t get to see the downfall of his empire. The world looks very different then.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,379 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Typical Russian dictator ala Stalin ( I know he wasn’t Russian ) but they do love a hard man in charge. It think he’s a psychopath though. The most dangerous man in the world.

Putin did absolutely nothing in Syria that was not to his benefit, ( and I'd be very surprised if it was any different in any of the Country's he supposedly "helped" ) With isis neither did he do anything until isis jihadis bombed a Russia passenger plane taking off from Sharm-el-Sheik, killing all the Russian passengers on board. They did this because of the Nr of Muslim's Putin was bombing in Syria. For the first ( and last ) time ever he attacked isis by bombing fuel convoys leaving isis controlled oilfields in Syria for Turkey. And that was the sole part he played in removing isis. Most of the credit for that goes to the Kurdish Yazidis and the US . Putin has one priority, and one priority only, and that is himself. No matter what Country he is in or what situation, it will always be the same,,, how can I turn this to my advantage? He is a cold calculating barsteward, and for those on here extolling his virtues early in his career....All of that time, he was calculating and manipulating the situation to get him exactly to where he is today. But what really failed him in his invasion, was corruption, pure and simple. After Georgia, he embarked on a massive modernization of the military, spent million's if not billions on it, and what happened to the supposedly 2nd best military in the world after the US? The money was siphoned away, and the results are what we see today.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

It's not as simple as West Good Russia Bad, everyone has an angle - we in the west are fed what we see, BRICS and the arab world are fed a separate story. The US maneuvered Putin into this and will want to stretch the war out for as long as possible, signing tens of billions worth of (way more expensive) natural gas deals as well as military weaponry as everyone ramps up defense spending to 2% of GDP. China also has a vested interest in European gas prices being higher as they the vast majority of the world's solar panels and turbines, and the ramp up of renewables will increase as gas prices increase - but not before we're forced to sign 20 year agreements with all of the US LNG producers who have us over a barrel (no pun intended).

Zelenskyy literally has a US hand up his ass and will continue to say and do what his masters command, nothing but a propaganda mouthpiece. The US never liked the idea of a European Union as a trade bloc and now here we are, taking the brunt of the damage through sky high energy costs, our currency being decimated, and turned into price takers in every energy market for years to come. This hurts all of us as EU citizens.

Putin has lost the war, but there is still no chance the Ukraine can win so the fighting will go on. I fear Putin may be cornered soon and even the most level-headed person can act rash and it only takes one. With Armenia kicking off the Turkish are about to wake up, China-Taiwan is throwing a spanner in the works for the US who have acted, banning AI chip sales is the starting gun for something worse. Scary times.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,215 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

It is that simple. He started the war, end of. There's so much that's just wrong in this post.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement