Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion: Autumn2022

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,970 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Any chance for sparks in Galway

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Heavy rain reaching here near Trlaleeain, that must be some heavy down in Cork and South Kerry

Some height to that storm in Cork, really elevated stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,212 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Miserable night at Cork airport,strong cross wind, low cloud base. One Ryanair diverting to Dublin

EICK 181930Z 09024KT 9999 FEW003 BKN010 14/12 Q1017 TEMPO 4000 BKN003

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Some could get that far but it might be 04.00 or thereabouts, some storms might head up along the coast close to the coast but hard to know if they will be powered up enough to last long, best action seems to be along the southern coasts, SE - Waterford could be lively later, I see a new batch breaking out heading for the coasts, charts suggest that the storms could make it inland into Munster at least - will see.

Plenty lightening to be seen from the city now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,973 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Big "blob" moving up towards cork. Might bring another round of lightning or very heavy rain

Status Yellow - Thunderstorm warning for Cork, Kerry

Met Éireann Weather Warning

Thunderstorms tonight may cause some disruption.

Valid: 20:44 Tuesday 18/10/2022 to 00:00 Wednesday 19/10/2022

Issued: 20:44 Tuesday 18/10/2022

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭thomil

Can confirm, flashes clearly visible even in a well-lit apartment. Western suburbs of Cork City here

Winds picking up here as well. together with a bit of rain, nothing noteworthy on that front though.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

Please disregard my earlier comment regarding rainfall. Current rainfall status can best be described as "bucketing down"...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Ooh... thunder in Cork city :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,365 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

thunder and lighting here in the north side of cork city. I was able to notice the lightning even in a room with blinds half way down. Hopefully this doesn’t last that long.

Spotted a couple of flashes of lightning over Cork city centre. No big rumbles though.

heading out to get set up will let report if anything can be seen

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

More storms south of Waterford now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Rainfall very patchy so far, though looks like it's quite intense where it is falling.

Where I am in Cork no lightning to report and very little rain. The bulk of the storm seemed to hit west Cork.

Well done Meteorite you could see this potential last night!

My view is that the next couple of days do not warrant an orange warning for rain, looks patchy at best a bit like tonight. As for a thunderstorm warning being issued after the event.....Good forecasting lol

Waterford and seeing flashes out to sea

• Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

indeed they didn't even have the foresight to include Waterford in the thunder warning!! Looks like the bulk of the strikes now moving that way

There's a front heading for Waterford, one that could very well bring quite the light show.

Things have pretty much died down here in Cork. A bit of wind, but no rain and no trace of lightning anymore. Not too optimistic for the rest of the night or tomorrow, at least for my part of Cork.

• Advertisement

5 shots in can also hear thunder

• Registered Users Posts: 4,563 ✭✭✭eagerv

West Co Wexford, loads of flashes due south about 50 miles away, gentle rumbling, seems to be traveling north...

Thought the West would not have heavy rain certainly the largest area of rain is moving up along the West Coast at present

Damn rains arrived

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Will any of the Storms hit Carrick i hope so

They look to be dying out now very little happening just rain

• Advertisement

Best of the few tonight that were way out to sea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Ye that's true maybe another night, August 14th was the best thundery breakdown ever, tons of lightning and extremely heavy rain

Looks like not much making it far inland so far. Tomorrow looks quite active from the early afternoon and could get a few intense storms again perhaps.

Still activity at sea off the South Coast could they push in tonight

Looks very active, firing away . Seems to be travelling at speed too, might wake a few people in W Cork yet 😄

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭highdef

Sporadic lightning near/just off the east coast of Wicklow now. The precipitation is really picking up pace in many parts of the country now. Would not be surprised to hear of reports of lightning in the Dublin area soon.

The area of very active thundery activity in the Bay of Biscay is stunning! It's moving north and is Ireland bound but whether it keeps electrified is quite another thing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Not really much here in Cork City. Nothing enough to justify an Orange warning so far anyway.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,165 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Heavy rain/bucketing in Greystones. 26.0mm since midnight.

Some fairly potent little cells popping up now in south Meath. The likes of Trim/Athboy may have some lightning strikes shortly plus some torrential rain. There's also another larger area of fairly heavy precipitation nearing the Dublin coastline. This will likely give very heavy falls of rain for eastern part of county Dublin, particularly the northern half. Lightning may also appear if it continues to intensify.

Been raining most of the night in the West and not even a yellow warning most of the rain concentrated in the West North and midlands at present

Recent strikes between Trim and Athboy in County Meath. In addition, the cells over the Irish Sea are becoming electrically active now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

A couple of big active cells moving up the Irish Sea, may reach Dublin, hard to figure out the trajectory as I find the met eireann radar loop and rainfall forecast has been shocking lately, both on mobile and a brand new laptop.

This is my latest area of interest, regarding thunderstorm risk for the Dublin area.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,165 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Lightning activity getting closer to the SE/E coast now. Would expect to hear some distant thunder soon if it was not for the noise of the rain and sea!

• Advertisement

Looks like a couple of strikes onshore now in north Wexford.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭pad199207

Rumbles of thunder in S Wexford

Thunder being heard in D4

Hearing distant thunder now in Greystones.

Unfortunately have to head out/into town on the Dart now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 828 ✭✭✭adam240610

Also hearing thunder every ~3 minutes or so now in greystones

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

Watch pinged a notification of lightning nearby, in Dublin 18.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭esposito

Updated Orange warning issued by Met E for Waterford, Wexford and Wicklow. ‘Disruption likely’.

Hearing thunder in Kildare now downwind

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭vickers209

Thunder lightning every few minutes here around wicklow town skys very dark clouds so flashes really visible

• Advertisement

Standing in Greystones railway station with lightning/thunder nearby/out to sea.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement