Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Westmeath school gets temporary injunction banning a suspended teacher from it's premises

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭TheRepentent

Wanna support genocide?Cheer on the murder of women and children?The Ruzzians aren't rapey enough for you? Morally bankrupt cockroaches and islamaphobes , Israel needs your help NOW!!

http://tinyurl.com/2ksb4ejk

https://www.btselem.org/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

A prison unsafe? I mean...it's full of criminals...so what would you expect?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,650 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Is Contempt of Court a crime? I don't know the answer, that is why I am asking

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,650 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

He is in his @rse a prisoner of conscience. He is in prison for not following an injunction. Nothing more, nothing less

Timely reminder that if Enoch feels unsafe in prison, it's completely within his power to leave at any time.

As an aside, people get injured in prisons all the time. People get remanded in custody, without conviction, all the time.

It doesn't make the government look bad politically. Enoch is not "special".

• Advertisement

Yes and no. There’s both Civil contempt & Criminal contempt.

The former is what Enoch is in prison for, he breached a court order.

Criminal contempt is for people who disrupt the court or publish details about a criminal trial before it’s finished thereby jeopardising the trial.

https://www.lawsociety.ie/gazette/in-depth/contempt-of-court

No it wouldn’t. Prison is not just for criminals there’s plenty of people in there for civil disobedience.

Do you reckon there’s gonna be war on the streets if he gets a clip across the ear in prison?

I think most people would welcome it. I for one would be delighted to see he got a kick in the arse, because as I said previously, it’s what he needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,386 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

"I was put in prison because of my beliefs"

"Your beliefs? What do you mean?"

"I believed I wouldn't get caught"

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,320 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭deirdremf

So you have a direct line to his activities now? I thought only God had that.

Oh, wait, now I see who you really are ...

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Evidently the woman in the street couldn't give a flying one about Burke (and neither do I by the way). I am trying to tease out the implications of all this beyond Burke the individual. I realise, given the stratospheric level of intolerance reached in this country after two years of Covid restrictions and the best part of a year of Ukraine propaganda, that many people are having a hard time considering the further implications of this situation.

Be that as it may, someone who gets injured in prison (regardless of the crime they commit; there has been no crime in this particular case) retains their human rights. While I have no idea what Burke might do, I can imagine that an injury to him might permit him to take the state to court as the state is now directly responsible for his well-being. This country has signed up to various international agreements, conventions etc, and some of these are monitored by organisations outside the state. Some even give the right to a judicial process with final appeal also outside the country, such as the ECHR and the ICC.

Now if you lock someone up you are responsible for their well-being. If you fail to ensure their bodily integrity etc, then you leave yourself open to legal proceedings. This is axiomatic. It doesn't take a genius to understand this. There are cases in the ECHR every month ordering some European state or other to compensate somebody or other for system failures. A failure to ensure Burke's well-being could lead to a court case of this sort, which could be politically damaging to the government. However he has been moved to a safer place - hopefully ensuring his bodily integrity and by the way also making sure the government doesn't become tainted by the (legally justified) judicial decision to imprison him for contempt. At least, this is one way of understanding it. Your mileage may differ ...

another poster "just asking questions" about how one fellas inability to follow court instructions could unravel the entire basis of society, actually, when you think about it, actually

what is it with that behaviour on this thread

a lot of what you wrote is absolute drivel but I’m not sure what exactly you think of how prisons work or Enoch Burke that if he gets a clattering in prison because he antagonised other prisoners he’d have a case against the state.

If you’re walking down grafton street and someone assaults you, can you sue Dublin City council or the Gardai because they “were supposed to protect me”?

If you’re annoying someone, or, people enough that one of them levels you that’s your fault in the end. In any case, the prison have (contrary to what you’re trying to argue) already taken measures to make sure he doesn’t get clattered, so it’s a moot point in the first place. But how you think the government has a case to answer for if a prisoner is involved in a fight is beyond me. Especially when the prisoner who would be at the subject of the fight has been provoking people, despite you’d imagine repeated warnings from prison staff that maybe it’s not a good idea.

The very fact he’s been moved to a section of the prison which houses model inmates and is designed to progress people into the main prison from what I understand just invalidates any notion that the prison could be in anyway held liable for harm caused by negligence or indeed that Enoch is at any risk of serious harm or (even minor harm) as he’s been removed from the situation where he was causing disruption.

In any case, if he annoys folks enough that he’s battered, that’s what happens. I couldn’t feel bad for him considering he literally can leave tomorrow if he agrees to behave himself and cop on a bit. He has for what, 5 weeks now, refused to do so.

And why? Well, because Enoch felt that referring to someone as they and by a different name would upset his made up man in the sky.

And you complain about drivel!

If you’re walking down grafton street and someone assaults you, can you sue Dublin City council or the Gardai because they “were supposed to protect me”?

Clearly you missed the bit about the State locking up an individual and thus being 100% responsible for their care and well-being. In this case a person who has committed no crime ... You might also have missed the situation earlier this year where a prisoner was murdered, and the French state had to react very very fast when the whole situation blew up in their face.

And, yes, I get it, you don't believe human rights exist, you have made that much extremely clear:

If you’re annoying someone, or, people enough that one of them levels you that’s your fault in the end.

But no, if someone levels you, they have committed an assault (and assault is a crime) regardless of the extenuating factors. Some people find it difficult to understand this. I sincerely hope that your work your life doesn't put you in a situation where someone might upset you if this is your level of empathy with others.

Maybe the prison should take extra measures for Enoch's safety and gag him when outside his cell for his own protection.

If he can't talk, he won't be annoying his fellow prisoners and the chances of him getting battered are greatly reduced.

Has nothing to do with the reasons why he is in jail

as I’ve explained already the prison has already taken steps to increase his safety by removing from where he was causing agitation to a section of the prison with more patient prisoners.

I imagine should that fail to suffice he will be put back in isolation. It may be his human right not to be subjected to beatings but the prisons will have dislplincary measures in place. An offender may even receive further jail time. But the fact is whether a crime is committed towards someone on the street or in prison the state has no case to answer for.

Prisons are not and cannot be expected to be able to stand by every prisoner 24/7 so there’s no chance of them attacking someone. If it happens they respond swiftly and deal with it. They can’t be blamed if it happens in circumstances outside their control. In my opinion blame can further be reduced if the victim of an assault was prone to antagonising others.

Reasonable people are able to look at a situation and conclude what the most likely explanation is.

Anyone who has any experience of the Burkes knows how good they are at antagonising people for no reason.

2/10. Must try harder.

• Advertisement

if somebody in prison gave enoch burke a right good kicking but claimed that god told them to do it

what then

• Registered Users Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

• Registered Users Posts: 6,822 ✭✭✭amacca

Interesting conundrum 🙃

I suppose we would be back to the age old chestnut of my god is the one true god then and the ensuing shenanigans that usually brings

War over religious beliefs is the human equivalent of a calculator being asked to divide a number by zero if you ask me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭lmao10

In a way I feel sorry for them. Look at how they were raised.

When you look abroad to those Western Baptists types, they never really had a chance being raised in such an environment. You could make the argument that it was child abuse and they should have been taken away and given a chance to become normal people, looking at that Louis Theroux documentary was pretty scary.

No normal person is comfortable spending years in Mountjoy over something like this. Nevermind some of the other shenanigans that we've seen from the family.

Sad to see really.

Imagine he came out and said he was sorry and after having time to reflect he realises why he thought like that and he is a different person now and apologises to the student. It would make my day.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Tinter Box

• Registered Users Posts: 9,735 ✭✭✭hynesie08

A cynical man would say that this is because he hasn't been getting the publicity he wants and this is his his chance to get on his soapbox and rant about his beliefs........

It's not defamatory, if it's true!

I'd love to see the prisoners he "annoyed" asked to testify...

He'll do anything at this stage for a bit of publicity... and a few hours out of the Joy.

Supposedly he didn’t annoy anyone according to Ammi Burke (is that supposed to be Amy or what?) & the prison service has said as much also.

You'd wonder why they moved him back to the Progression Unit so, if there's no truth to it.

• Advertisement

I don’t know if that’s even true (that he wasn’t moved and/or didn’t annoy anyone), because it’s claimed by his sister who is as much of a whack job as he is.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement