Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If you believed they put a man on the moon....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,897 ✭✭✭Christy42

Indeed it is good. The goal may have been the moon but things developed for space travel have translated to technology on Earth. I am less concerned about going back to the moon. We know we can do it if needed to so unless we are really trying to improve on previous trips and on the tech we use for the ISS then nothing new will be developed. Mars on the other hand is a whole new challenge and will require us to increase our understanding of the technology involved greatly to get there. I can see the moon being a useful testing ground for Mars though but that is about it.

In any case we have far dumber spends and even just general waste, for instance we frequently throw out food rather than selling it for cheaper which seems a much more direct point that hungry people could be fed, than finding out more about our universe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,116 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Of course we know who built the pyramids, we know when and the types of workers(not slaves) who built them. We know the name of the bloke they were built for and the names of the people the smaller ones were built for. We even have pyramids where things didn't go according to plan because they were still trying to figure out the hows themselves. Here's one where they got the angles wrong and oops! rejigged it halfway.

Here's an even earlier attempt where the outer casing wore away:

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,922 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

A great description for the collective of people, too lazy or too stupid to get themselves an education in the basics, which would show them how these things are done, but would much rather try to drag down other people to their level of ignorance and revel in it.

A sad waste of humanity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭bad2thebone

What's your solution then ? I've read about people who have a similar mindset.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,991 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

"What you mean 'we,' kemosabe?"

Don't worry your little Irish brow, no danger of any Irish person going to the moon during the existence of the species.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,654 ✭✭✭storker

It's easy to be more creative when you're not constrained by reality.

We don't know who built the pyramids, or how old they are. We're told how they were built and who built them but in reality there's no real schematics showing the construction.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,266 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Absolutely,like a friend of mine posted a picture of himself flying over the horizon on a unicorn and captioned matter was FCK reality I'm off to Narnia on a unicorn.

The funny thing is that people are so wound up and take conspiracies seriously, I'd say a lot of conspiracy theorists are trolling debunkers to be honest.

• Advertisement

Lol it's a bit of craic though, but without fools like me you'd have no fodder for entertainment:)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,991 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Jesus Christ.

Among the things they left on the moon were laser retro reflectors: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_retroreflectors_on_the_Moon

Astronomical observatories around the globe operated by multiple countries, have fired lasers at these retroreflectos since they were first put there and seen and observed the return flashes of light.

These have served the purpose of measuring with extreme precision, the distance of the Moon from the Earth by the round trip time taken by the light from the laser.

This is not even mentioning the multiple geologists globally that returned lunar rock samples were sent to for analysis.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,654 ✭✭✭storker

They were built during the time of the ancient Egyptians. They andcient Egyptians record information about their construction. Without evidence (as opposed to speculation), there is no reason to believe anything other than that it was the Egyptians who built them. Unless they were built by some unknown predecessors of the ancient Egyptions but in that case the questions of the difficulties involved in building projects of such huge scale still apply.

I think we tend to imagine that the ancients were a lot more primitive that they really were. Look at the Romans and their aqueducts: miles and miles through mountains and across valleys and always the right degree of gradient to keep the water flowing. The ancients knew a lot, and had lots of...er...special sets of skills, and only a fraction of what they recorded about these (and everything else) has survived.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,514 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

• Registered Users Posts: 16,728 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Reading this I'm surprised some people can function in their everyday life.

My only false moon belief was that there was actually a man in it. I was a child though in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

If the moonlandings were such a sure thing, your posts wouldn't need to be aggressive, insult-riddled mess of generic, dismissive, long-winded, off-topic statements.

The video I posted above where the NASA engineer says

"As we get further away from earth we'll pass through the Van Allen Belts, an area of dangerous radiation"

"We must solve these challenges before sending people through this region of space"

You completely ignored and dismissed this. Are you saying this engineer is ill informed and that you know better than he does?

I haven't even touched on the little matter of the 500-1000km thick layer of the thermosphere that the Astronauts would have to pass through without being baked alive.

Your insults will wear thin very quickly and you will soon have to stand over some outrageous claims so be careful...

PS: How in the name of God! do you know they got the angles wrong on the pyramids?? The arrogance of people to come out with such statements 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 6,023 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Yeah, I'd love to see us (And I mean the humanity "Us". I don't think there will be an Irishman on Mars. Hyuk hyuk hyuk). I'd love to see us going to Mars but I don't think it is doable with current technology. I know there are all those "Mars Direct" ideas but there are so many hurdles we know about and more that we don't yet know about. I don't think there is anything that is insurmountable but the costs involved would be magnitudes higher than moon missions. The benefits would be tremendous but the costs would also be tremendous (Potentially trillions of dollars). And, as much as I believe in the costs of moon missions being worth it, one would still have to draw a line. There is a world of difference between a 14 day return trip to our satellite and a 3 year interplanetary mission.

There would have to be an extremely good reason to spend such money go to Mars. I'm talking about historical evidence of intelligent life there (Not UFOs of course but evidence of ancient primitive construction) or current life (Most likely microbial) or some reason that would make it incredibly, insanely profitable (Mining)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

Are you really this naive?

"They may have faked the moonlanding footage, but there's no way they could fake a wikipedia page on retroreflectors!!"

There are no "retroreflectors" on the moon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,023 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

You keep making these statements with no backing.

"There are no "retroflectors" on the moon"

"Mythbusters debunked nothing"

So, ignoring the "Oh yes they did, oh no they didn't" of the retroflectors, what did Mythbusters fail to debunk?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

This is so 19990's, any more modern conspiracies you can regale us with? Tartaria/mud floods, ancient giant trees, Empcoe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,922 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

There are, there's a picture of one.

Lunar laser range finding has contributed hugely to the advancement of engineering and surveying practices back here on Earth, like the gathering of information for applications like Google Street View, hyper accurate surveying of terrain, both on land and under water, building ships more efficiently in modules rather than from the keel up, construction of super-tall structures and lots more.

You do realise how pathetically stupid you sound by denying very real and very visible evidence of such advancements, things we can all walk up to, see and touch.

You accuse people of naivety, but on the contrary I would say this to you; don't piss down my back and tell me its raining.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,324 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

anybody can bounce a laser off them. if they are not real and part of a conspiracy then there thousands and thousands of amateur astronomers in on it. Including TVs where they have done this live.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,116 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Mars IMHO is a bit of a damp squib. It looks nice in photos but the realities are it's about as livable on as the Moon. If we gain a base on the Moon and learn to live there Mars will be much more of a goer. Venus is a better option, again in my humble. A "floating" base in the habitable zone in the upper atmosphere. Pressure would be the same as Earth, temps would be close enough too and sola energy would be stronger, but radiation would be much lower than the surface of Mars. The surface of Venus is a hellzone, but when you think about it we kinda don't live on the "surface" of Earth. The bottom of our oceans are also hellzones for us, so we live in the habitable zone. The Moon and Mars don't have one, but Venus does.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,675 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

This thread and the ignorant, idiotic opinions expressed by many on it are a pretty good reason why I don’t post on Boards anywhere near as much as I used to.

It’s just so difficult these days on Boards to have a proper, intelligent and informed debate/discussion with others without encountering trolling, idiocy and opinionated rubbish. Fortunately another web forum I’m a long-standing member of still retains a good level of intelligent discussion where posters don’t feel the need to bait, belittle and attack others.

I don’t even care to waste my time and energy on threads where any attempt to inform and educate the willfully ignorant will just be attacked, mocked and ridiculed.

Lazers travel the same in an atmosphere as they do without an atmosphere, they also got the moon to stand still while they pointed their lazers.

Although when I'm looking at the moon through a pair of astronomy binoculars, it won't stay still it keeps moving, so these guys managed to come up with a device that can keep up with the trajectory.

You'd wonder how some people don't question anything or look at variables.

Yes we do on both counts. We have quite the extensive chronology of ancient Egyptian history because they wrote this stuff down themselves, including within the pyramids themselves(Khufu's pyramid being the odd one out here). A couple of pyramids have wooden beams that we've carbon dated and these dates back up the written chronology and other evidence. Ancient peoples almost never wrote down building plans the way we do. The Acropolis in Athens has a load of written evidence from the time of its constructions and evolution and early use and not just by the local Athenians, we even know the names of the architects involved, yet we don't have the building plans for that either. These were craftsmen who passed this stuff between each other and ordinary workers who did what they were tasked with. What written plans that existed if they existed at all haven't survived down to today. One reason could simply be trade and state secrets as these were very expensive symbols of power and culture and they didn't want copies out there. A lot of the tricks of the trade of the gothic cathedrals in much later Europe are still unknown.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,667 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Dear lord, I hope at this stage you're trolling, I really do. The level of ignorance in your posts is astounding.

If you can get your hands on the equipment you can literally bounce a laser off them yourself.

I'd suggest you read up on the Dunning Kruger Effect as you seem to live by it on this topic.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning%E2%80%93Kruger_effect

Same can be said about trams back in the 19th century, supposedly the plans were lost and whomever engineered them are well gone.

They were easily pulled and there was some way they were pulled by horse's but the mechanism made it easier with the cogs weight's etc some kind of pendulum technique.

Have you ever seen the Long distance pendulum cast that sea angler's use to launch out their weights and bait's. Quite a simple looking technique but few can master it.

Just watch how the lead arcs, and goes in different directions with a swing. Quite clever. It's a push pull and javelin technique,all in a few seconds...

Very simple but hard to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,860 ✭✭✭Cordell

Pointing a laser at a 0.5 meter target on the Moon is much much easier than pointing and focusing a laser at a 0.5 micron track on a wobbly plastic disc rotating at high speed and being subjected to random vibrations. So you bet that these guys came up with devices that can keep up with the trajectory.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement