Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If you believed they put a man on the moon....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,368 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

If the Americans didn't reach the moon the Russians would still be trying. The creation of the moon hoax theories is what the Russians did instead. For conspiracy theorists to miss the original sources of the hoax claims just shows they ignore information to suit their beliefs rather than fact find

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Boooourns

Why waste billions on building a ship to go back to the moon, we've been there, explored it and its basically a rock.

Space is absolutely massive and needs to be explored as far as we can possibly go. What's the point in going back there when we can spend loads of the absolutely brilliant James Webb telescope which has opened up images distances we never thought imaginable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

Sadly for you Van Allen himself, y'know the guy who discovered them, had zero problem with Apollo passing through them. They went through them "backwards" with the lander and her engines as a partial sheild. Never mind that alpha and beta radiation is easily stopped by the metal skin of the craft. Your skin can stop beta radiation. Alpha can only make it through a couple of centimetres of air. Gamma has got way more umph to it, as do X rays, but again they were shielded by their craft and passed through the highest concentration of the belts very quickly. Interestingly the Apollo guys did suffer more than background average with cataracts in the eyes as the aged and the extra radiation they picked up on their travels might have had something to do with that.

I'm not debating the film technology of the 60s argument as it is nonsense.

What you are saying about the alpha and beta radiation is not true. NASA have already spent billions on the "Orion" programme, which is dedicated to solving the radiation problem:

"As we get further away from earth we'll pass through the Van Allen Belts, an area of dangerous radiation"

"Naturally, we'll have to pass through this danger zone twice, once up and once back"

"Shielding will be put to the test as the vehicle cuts through the waves of radiation

"We must solve these challenges before sending people through this region of space"

-Kelly Smith - NASA Engineer

😆

• Registered Users Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭Allinall

If they have the telescope on the moon, they'll be able to see even further.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,904 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Its a joint project between NASA and the European Space Agency.

And its 'they're'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,904 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Even though I wouldn't have a great knowledge of Physics, Space science does fascinate me.

I remember 10 or 12 years ago, or maybe longer, one of the final launches of the Shuttle programme departed Florida in the evening and its trajectory took it over Ireland, so I picked a nice dark spot and watched the launch live online and then was able to look up into a starlit sky and see the STS streak across on its way out of the atmosphere. It was an awesome sight, in the purest sense of the word.

I'd also often keep an eye on the ISS orbit and point it out to my family in the night sky, passing over at a decent lick.

This is the stuff that human inspiration is made of and hopefully Artemis will be able to inspire a few people away from the polarised politics prevalent on Earth these days and get them to look skyward again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Does EVERY thread on Boards need to descend into "Leftism/right-wing"? Seriously people. Watch less of fox and cnn. Watch a proper documentary. Read a real book. Next thing people will be saying "Ah they are only building that to distract from hunter's laptop or trump's issues" or "Hur hurrr. Didn't work. biden can't get it up".

I would consider myself centre-left. I have my more conservative opinions but would, in general, consider myself more left than right but Ireland standards. I always have been. And I have always been interested in science and technology and space. I see no conflict between my "leftie" opinions and my opinion on science and space.

God, I long for the days when Boards was all about b1tching about the Dole.... :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Well I for one would prefer if humanity spent the money we spend on arms and war on space exploration. When adjusted for inflation the US spend on the Afghan war was over eight times what Apollo cost and at the same time as Apollo the US Vietnam war cost four times as much.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭kirving

Where do you think the money spent on space programs actually goes?!

It goes to employ people, who then spend their money in their local economies, and even if NASA employees spend their money on holiday outside of the US, the money still stays on planet earth.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭sekiro

Why do people get so offended when it's claimed that the moon landings were faked?

If anything my conspiracy theory is that we've been to the moon a few more times that has been reported.

Fundamentally though the conspiracy comes down to "our governments and massive corporations worth billions are lying to us". Which doesn't seem completely crazy at all on the surface.

Not sure how this always seems to come down to a Left vs Right thing? Lefties think that capitalism is bad and massive companies are corrupt and the government is oppressing us but the moment the Righties say yes the government and massive companies are lying to us for their own ends, usually money, the Left is screaming "conspiracy theorist". What's up with that?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I'm not debating the film technology of the 60s argument as it is nonsense.

Nope you're not debating film and video technology of the 1960's quite simply because you don't understand it and it ruins your daft theories.

What you are saying about the alpha and beta radiation is not true. NASA have already spent billions on the "Orion" programme, which is dedicated to solving the radiation problem:

It might help if you read a book and had a clue about, well pretty basic stuff.

Alpha radiation. Because of their charge and large mass, alpha particles are easily absorbed by materials, and they can travel only a few centimetres in air. They can be absorbed by tissue paper or by the outer layers of human skin. They typically penetrate skin about 40 micrometres, equivalent to a few cells deep.

Beta Radiation. Although the beta particles given off by different radioactive materials vary in energy, most beta particles can be stopped by a few millimeters of aluminium. However, this does not mean that beta-emitting isotopes can be completely shielded by such thin shields: as they decelerate in matter, beta electrons emit secondary gamma rays, which are more penetrating than betas per se. Shielding composed of materials with lower atomic weight generates gammas with lower energy, making such shields somewhat more effective per unit mass than ones made of high-Z materials such as lead.

Here's a watch you can go out and buy today:

It uses tritium gas encased in glass tubes emitting beta radiation that excites phosphor so it glows in the dark without external excitation. An everyday object worn next to the skin. Before this tech tritium was painted directly onto the dial and the case and plastic crystal stopped the radiation. At one time radium was used but it's a gamma emitter so way more penetrating, even so the danger was for watchmakers and those making the dials.

Cosmic rays and Xrays and gamma radiation are the risk factors, not beta or alpha. However it's down to exposure times and dose.

So what you're claiming is not true. Not even close to true. And note what yer man in the video said about the risk to delicate electronics. There are lots of satellites above us that have passed through these belts and didn't get fried. Same for the many space probes. Then again you probably don't believe in them either... We're more risk averse these days and NASA is much less the old style kick the tyres, light the fires test pilot driven entity than it was. Men and a society and NASA culture who came to terms(mostly) with other test pilots dying on the regular. Apollo 8 was the first all up test of the Apollo system and it was crewed and headed for the moon. No way would they chance something like that today, and they only chanced it because at that stage they were quite convinced the Soviets were nipping at their heels in the race.

Yesterday they scrubbed the Artemis launch because of some dodgy readings from an engine and an earlier possible hydrogen leak. In 69 on Apollo 11 they found a hydrogen leak, paused the countdown and sent a bloke in a hard hat with a spanner out to the pad and up the gantry on a fully fuelled pointy bomb with the explosive potential of a tactical nuke with three people sitting at the top of that to see if he could sort it.

And how they sorted it was by pouring water over the valve which froze solid and sealed it and then used another valve to take up the slack. Again, no way in hell would they risk that today.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Why do people get so offended when it's claimed that the moon landings were faked?

For me anyway Sekiro there comes a point where so much stupid and ignorance of pretty basic engineering and science just becomes too much. That and the insult to humanity in general and the men and women in particular involved in such endeavours that we couldn't do such things. So some come up with crackpot daftness to explain away the prefectly explainable because they're too uninformed or plain stupid to understand the hows and whys and/or like to belong to a group of similar contrarians. The aliens built the pyramids because no way could we do it type idiocy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,653 ✭✭✭storker

How deeply have you researched alternative explanations for these phenomena and what conclusions did you draw?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,843 ✭✭✭shootermacg

There are people in this world who's intelligence absolutely dwarfs the average. When you don't understand something, or how it could be done, just factor in that there are people who do understand these things at a fundamental level.

We did go to the moon and the tech we used would be considered very basic now, but the principles would be the same in general.

Everyone knows the moon is made of cheese - Dawwww !

It's less a question of taking offence and more a question of having a serious aversion to bullshit.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,810 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

At last someone with the truth. There were dozens more moon landings which were not reported.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭bad2thebone

But Wibbs when you're driving back in West Clare and you see wind turbines going full throttle and the ocean is like glass and smoke from money point is blowing at 90 degrees you'd wonder if we're being lied to. One side of my brain say's wind turbines,the other side says they have kicked me up the arse.

Nobody knows how or who built the pyramids. Calling people names because they're not playing ball only exacerbates a discussion. I find it hard to believe a lot of things. Organised religion, GMO crops, the green agenda, NASA photos of the earth looking like the continents are changing shape color distance from each other and size etc there's a lot of questions to be answered.

Or else it's been spent on property that's supposed to be underwater in twenty years time.

• Advertisement

Won't be long before we'll be bitching about the dole lol

Yeah you're right I shouldn't be bringing that into a discussion. Gave me humble pie that did. It was when you responded I realized that I fcked up lol. I need to think before I jump.

I'm more interested in marine science and plant science, botany and biodiversity etc

I'm really behind with technology, I'm very old fashioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,311 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Nobody knows how or who built the pyramids. 

We don't? unless you are suggesting space aliens then it has to be the egyptians. as for how we have a pretty good idea for that as well.

As for the things you find hard to believe is it not more the case that you find them hard to understand? what do you find hard to believe about GMO crops for instance?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,810 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

There are always so many questions to be answered. The problem is that when the answers are given, the conspiracy theorists come up with some conspiracy theory to dismiss the answers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,864 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Because there is a bigger audience of people here, when you understand the need for tin foilers to tell everyone that they know something that everyone else doesn’t and that they are part of the group that really knows what’s going on, it makes more sense.

I was more curious to see if they had been banned from CT

• Registered Users Posts: 3,864 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Looks like it’s a bit pf a graveyard there right now, probably waiting for the next false flag or blurry video.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

Did the US go tot the moon? Yes

Can they go to it again? Yes

Will it take time? Yes

Do I win a prize?

This reminds me of concorde, The race to get a plane to go that fast. Then once the race was won everyone gave up and finally after years of neglect they had an accident and it was shut down.

Now all people want to see is how many people they can stack into a plane instead of trying to massively develop a faster plane to pass the development of the concorde.

If you asked BA and AirFrance now to develop concorde 2.0, how long would it take?

• Advertisement

Although the conspiracy theorists are more creative in fairness lol

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement