Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I get angry when other people choose not to have kids

Options
1131415161719»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,295 ✭✭✭jj880

Fair enough. So we're saying population is going to grow no matter what. The terms of reference for this thread seem to be "Its just who is less selfish?" Those who have the kids or those who dont. No follow up action to be suggested/taken. I just thought it would be interesting to debate what could be done about it. Maybe I'll get a new thread going.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,264 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

It's the sort of rhetoric used in the OP of this thread and by several posters. I'm not interested in your hysterical strawmen. If you can't post without them, there's no point engaging.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 34,460 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Jesus Christ, tell us what you really think.

So apparently folks who don't want kids are just 'wreaked with anxiety and personal issues', which is what is preventing them from reproducing.

That's a little deluded tbh and wreaks of you trying to justify your own life decisions to yourself by putting other people down for theirs.

You think everyone posting in this thread about the selfishness of having / not having kids isnt thinking about population controls? Ok. Please accept my apologies for that terrible assumption.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,925 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

I don't think that there's anything to "be done about it". People can already choose whether they want to have children or not. At least people in most civilised countries can anyway. And a lot of people choose to not have kids for numerous reasons. The financial effort required, alone, is reason enough to remain childless. The cost of having even one kid has risen to absurd levels since my parents had me. I can easily understand why people would put it off permanently once they weigh up all the factors.

However, the OP is a rather lengthy and, in my opinion, unreasonable rant against people who make the choice to remain childless from a poster whom I would suspect all is not rosy in their own garden.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,264 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

They're obviously not. Your posts are getting ever more unhinged.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Im posing the question. You're now speaking for everyone in this thread and Im unhinged? Ok.

I think a lot of the issue is housing. When houses were cheap and there was usually only the one breadwinner in the family, raising children was incredibly difficult. Now, in places where two breadwinners can barely afford a flat at half their income, it's impossible.

Funny how all of the opprobrium is reserved for people making their own choices and never for the people who made having children a luxury.

H. H. Asquith

Of course housing is a huge consideration, which is tied into my point about the financial requirements of having a kid(s). The current, appalling, trend in a lot of areas of western Europe with regards to housing is absolutely a factor in whether people either a. put off having children or b. rule it out altogether.

In Ireland one only has to look at our wretched approach to homes to understand why anyone would choose to remain childless. We have a dreadful renting situation and a "market" that's an absolute bloody joke.

It's not just Ireland. Canada, New Zealand, the Netherlands, Sweden and others are in for a serious shock very soon.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,538 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

The world is under populated & is getting less populated ,

Over population theory is a thing of the past, ,

At current rates by the year 2025 China population will have fallen y 1.32 Billion , India by 1.67 billion

Also your FACTS are all absolute nonsense,

It's the safest & healthiest time in the history of man kind to be alive,

God forbid people like yourself where born in the 1800's or early when time where actually tough ,

H. H. Asquith

Oh but there is , shortage of workers ,fewer people to pay tax, closure of services , wasted resources

• Registered Users Posts: 33,972 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Complete nonsense.

You might explain how the population of a country can fall by more than 100%...?

Global population is rising not falling.

Life ain't always empty.

China are currently suffering what they call a tsunami of falling birth rates

Remember there one child policy , well the majority of them 1 children where men,

The decline is largely a reflection of China’s low fertility rate, which has remained below two births per woman since the 1990s. To achieve a stable replacement rate over the long term, a country’s fertility rate must be 2.1. China’s fertility rate fell to 1.2 last year.

Kids are great but if you don't want them that's your own choice & fair play to you,

Do whatever makes you happy ,

There isn't. We'll need to adapt to falling birth rates because that's happening for a horde of reasons. The pensions ponzi scheme isn't sustainable.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

This is just the logic I spoke of earlier. Those that take financial means into consideration are usually those that don't have children or just the 1

The ones that tend to have large families in today's world are usually on the lowest incomes. This isn't for the same reasons low income families had children in the last century, now, it's not a consideration because of the fantastic welfare system where we can pay to rear children whether we have them or not.

Facebook Status

Mother: Full time yummy mummy

Father: Fultime time mad bastard and Liverpool till I die supporter

You can only be as happy as your unhappiest child.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭opinionated3

I could be wrong here, but didn't David Attenborough say recently that the world was overpopulated and the earth's resources cannot support a growing population anymore?

• Advertisement

The world population has increased by over 3 billion since 1980. There is absolutely no fall in the over all global birth rate. In that same period the population of China has grown by over 420 million. So pointing at a slight dip in birth rates over just the last couple of years is not seeing the wood for the trees.

Frankly, if there are any countries on the Earth that could actually do with having a few less people, it would be China and India.

For sure. Careful though. You're venturing very close to being accused of being hysterically off topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,673 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I don’t think the OP has it backwards, it’s just a nonsense statement, and legitimising it by arguing that the opposite is selfish, is just as silly IMO. It’s like someone arguing the silent majority agrees with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,972 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

So what?

None of that addresses the complete rubbish in your earlier post. I can see I'm wasting my time here.

Life ain't always empty.

Advertisement