Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teachers working over summer

Options

Comments

What are the exact holidays? (Which are for the kids primarily).

Secondary: 13 weeks in the summer, one week mid-term, two weeks Christmas, two weeks combining February break and Easter. 18 weeks - of course that's great but it's not five months and it's just secondary.

Primary: take a month off the above.

And work needs to be done during the above too, and outside of teaching hours (again, fair enough).

Still wouldn't do it though. Especially secondary. Hormonal, angsty teenagers - not a hope.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,001 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Why should the state, which effectively is the taxpayers, subsidize your childcare while you earn additional income. It would be totally unfair to those who can’t take at advantage of it such as people needing to take care of a partner or other relative. There is no reason the state should subsidize your personal decisions than anyone

else. your thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Still stihl waters 3

I used to get jealous too when I thought other people had it easier/better/earned more than me but I've learned that all that was before me growing up and i had the exact same opportunities in life as they had, they had no advantages over me, as I'm sure they had none over the whinging basturds on this thread, blame yourself for your own decisions and stop crying because you perceive someone else has it easier

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

I've no problem with that, that's part of the the terms and conditions of their job. And just for the record, I'm not a teacher nor is anybody in my family. That's probably why they went into that profession, because of the holidays.

For teachers who started after 2011, I doubt they went into the profession solely for the money. Newly qualified teachers start on €38,192 and it goes up roughly €1,000 per year after that. That's not great money after possibly 5 years of college. It's not terrible money, I'm not saying that either. The teachers who started before 2011 have far better terms and conditions (financially), I will say that.

• Advertisement

Agreed.

Just on the third level holidays, I'm not sure they get more holidays than primary and secondary school teachers. One lecturer told me about 3 years ago that they only get four weeks off in the Summer. Not sure if he was telling the truth but that's what he said.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,448 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

He was having you on. A close relative is a third level lecturer and he's off from mid May to late September and about a month over Christmas. Even he jokes that it's a part time job, as the weekly hours are also very short. He can do school drop off and pick up of his kids 4 days a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I taught for years; English at highest exam level.It is very responsible and focussed work, Teaching young folk and teaching the subject to equip them for vital exams ... You have to know the material in great depth and you have to know how to communicate that material to any number of different youngsters, So summer holidays are yes wonderful but always prep work to do and always a real need to renew and refresh ready for the autumn term. Deeply fulfilling work but very skilled .. When I went anywhere in summer I always had the bookswith me. shad the books with me,,,,

Can I ask how long ago that was and how many tears did you do it for? And what size was the school?

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Still stihl waters 3

He must have been teaching gender studies, my wife taught at 3rd level and left it to go to secondary because the holidays are better, she worked a lot more hours at 3rd level, it might depend on their contract though

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 12,195 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

Not great money for a graduate!?

You're pulling the mick here.

Yes I'm aware most teaching graduates don't get a full time position straight away, but your idea of a poor wage at 23 is ridiculous.

Scrap the master I say and come up with a proper course. What was wrong with the hdip?

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Starfire20

teachers get paid for the days they work during the school year.

that pay is then spread out over the full calendar year.

they don't get "free money" during the summer etc.

also not a teacher btw

• Registered Users Posts: 33,938 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

While we're at it can anyone tell me why tapayers are obliged to fund the teaching of religious propaganda as fact during the school day and what useful educational value this supposedly has?

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Bluespecs

(Trying to quote and reply but unable to do so. Also unable to delete this post.)

Really, you have not figured it out? You can’t live in a world that does not exist! You can generally speaking choose the dominant religion of the part of the world you live in but that is where it ends. Now stop dragging the thread off topic with what about… what about…

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Comer1

"how many tears..."

I've been teaching for over 30 years, couldn't put a figure on the number or tears though 🥲

• Registered Users Posts: 13,086 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Third level IoT sector = holidays defined in contract

70 days annual leave.

20th or 25th June (I can't recall which) to 1st September = approx 9 weeks

Plus Xmas plus Easter

University sector = it's more custom and practice, annual leave is not mentioned in contracts (at least in my place).

Nobody takes 9 weeks off during June/July/Aug.

I see staff taking two weeks off, and maybe other days other times.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

I'm not a teacher so couldn't care less, but I never understand why people get so worked up about teachers and their holidays. If these days off mean so much to them, why didn't they just become teachers themselves??

• Advertisement

Tis the green eyed god. And they know they could never teach.

They get worked up because begudgery is the national sport here in Ireland.

What a load of absolute "Ireland is a catholic country so suck it up" drivel. It's not the 1950s any more and it's long past time our education system reflected that.

You yourself said "There is no reason the state should subsidize your personal decisions than anyone else." There is no reason why that should not also apply to expecting schools to spend weeks/months at taxpayer expense preparing kids for the personal decision of a parent to send their child to a religious event.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,036 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

What about putting them on farms to help with harvesting fruit etc

Who? The kids or the teachers?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,865 ✭✭✭Dickie10

if its a Catholic ethos school, run by the Roman Catholic church, then I always try to teach with that in mind and never shy away from speaking about the gospel when doing any pastrol work with students. if it were a COI school i would still promote christainity and living your life in that tradition of the Bible teaching but I just wouldnt be as confident because i am not COI. In non religous run schools then it just doesnt happen. Educate Together and all these types are becoming more prevalent now for people that dont want religion in school. not too hard to get into either from what I heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,036 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Secular education doesn't exist in this world...? I think you'll find it does if you broaden your horizons a little.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Educate Together and all these types are becoming more prevalent now for people that dont want religion in school. not too hard to get into either from what I heard.

An ET is far more likely to be oversubscribed than any other type of school. There are people putting their kids' names down at birth and still not getting places.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭BrianBoru00

• Advertisement

Teaching can be a very intense occupation. When I was at university I worked for much of the summer vacations. The Exam Boards employed many working in national exams. But once I started teaching? I spent summer holidays driving and camping abroad, renewing for the next term. Much of my work was with exam classes that were vital for the students and by the end of the summer term we needed to renew, ready for September. It was exhausting work.

Advertisement