Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teachers working over summer

Options
  • 25-08-2022 1:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭

Teachers should work over summer, in free to attend Goverment summer camps. It'll help families where both parents work and it would give the teachers a way to earn their salaries when not teaching.

It would also wean out the teachers in it for the holidays, leaving the harder working, more capable pool of teachers who would do a better job teaching.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Maybe we should have bus drivers drive ambulances for no extra pay on their days off, just so we're certain that it's driving vehicles and only driving vehicles that they're in the job for.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,043 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

No, it’s the parents’ job to ensure their delightful offspring is looked after.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

Not a bad idea but I don't think it's fair to make them work their weekends.

If truckers got summer off, I'd be with you 100%

In other words, basically keep the schools open all year around, but for June / July - just do "camps" instead of lessons.

Doesn't sound like a lot of fun - or a break away from school - for the kids, and teachers are not childminders.

So no. I don't think you've really thought this one out.

*disclaimer - not a teacher

• Registered Users Posts: 17,970 ✭✭✭✭rob316

School isn't childcare.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,828 ✭✭✭acequion

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Or you can look after your own kids like the rest of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

OK, summer camps aren't popular with everyone. What about putting them on farms to help with harvesting fruit etc? Summer camps was only one possibility.

For me the big win is the needed free labour and weaning our teachers in it for an easy number.

I'm sure there's teachers out there who will agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 jyat

They need to take the summer off as they have a very long day from 9-3pm.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

What free labour?

The salary they get is for the job they currently do, with the time off very well known to be part of the entire deal. Increasing the working hours by a significant amount would not happen without a commensurate increase in salary.

Would you take a 15-20% increase in your hours for no increase in salary?

• Advertisement

Wrangling up to 30 kids.

I'd need an ambulance if I had to supervise 30 kids for 6 hours, let alone do it 5 days a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭irelandrover

I never understood this saying. It's the definition of childcare. They care for children during school hours. They are responsible for children during school hours. In what way is it not childcare.

The OP is nonsense. The salary teachers get is for the work they currently do. If you make them work during the summer then you need to up their salary.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

Ah yes, teachers famously switch off after 3pm with no other works required until 9am the next morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

We'd need 30 ambulances if I had to supervise 30 kids.

OP you do realise that many teachers are parents too?

And teachers already earn their salaries. You really should compare what being a teacher meant 50 years ago, with the responsibilities/duties of teachers today. I know teachers who end their classes at 4pm and don't arrive home until 9pm because of all the extra duties they're "encouraged" to do.

I suspect you haven't the foggiest notion of the lives that teachers lead.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,689 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Sounds like the existing July provision, but open to all kids not just ones with special needs.

Not bad idea: better than having kids roaming unsupervised over summer.

But it would cost a lot to hire the extra teachers needed.

The cash might be better spent on building and running overnight dormitories for the kids whose parents aren't able to provide them with a good night's sleep (since we already have free meals for kids whose parents don't feed them).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,355 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Never going to happen and brought up by the ignorant regularly. Teacher wages are poor enough as is but expecting extra hours to be just thrust upon would never be accepted. The theory it would weed out the bad teachers is ludicrous

There is a shortage of teachers as is

• Registered Users Posts: 20,507 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Winding up and spurious comparisons aside (the bus driver one - wtf?) I don't get why teachers get paid for DoE stuff (e.g. correcting) during the summer holidays.

I am not a bitter anti teacher person - the opposite - but that one thing is something I do wonder about.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭daheff

So you'd let some live then? 🤣🤣

OP- I think the mistake you are making is that teachers are paid for 12 months of work. They are not. It's 8 months pay, but split over 12 months.

If you want more work from teachers you'll need to pay them more....and a lot have a summer side gig too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,894 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Bless.

Do you work on your 20 something days off a year?

No?

So why should teachers?

Perks of the job. Teach - not mind, not manage (although crowd control features) - 30 kids a day ....get 2 months off a year. Sin e. Other people get company credit cards, parental leave, flexible working hours, able to start and finish when they want, bonuses, the ability to hop jobs to get significant pay increases - teachers get 2-3 months off plus the fixed midterms and Christmas holidays.

If you think it sounds better than what you have, then off you go and do it.

And no. I'm not a teacher. Nor do I have any desire to be one.

I would hate to be a teacher. Especially now when there is so much paperwork, and children and parents are so much more self entitled.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭Tonesjones

• Registered Users Posts: 23,816 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Schooling is the provision of education with a responsibility on the teaching staff of 'in loco parentis.'

Childcare, is the provision of enough food, warmth and engaging stimulation for a child and seeing that they are safe, for a particular span of time.

So, no, school is not childcare. Teachers are not childminders or crèche workers.

As for the notion of forcing them to work over summer; like any job, people go into a profession with their eyes open, with the pros and cons clear, the conditions well known and the requirements and eligibility set down. I suggest if people are jealous or in other ways begrudging of teacher's lives, then they should knuckle down and pursue the relevant graduate degree and post-grad qualifications and walk a few years in their shoes.

Teaching is a tough part time job.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

You. Its you op.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Childcare, is the provision of enough food, warmth and engaging stimulation for a child and seeing that they are safe, for a particular span of time.

But other than the food that describes school perfectly. And a lot of childcare facilities don't provide food.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Kurooi

I'd fancy the idea that teachers should sit recertifications in their subjects every summer. It's crazy how little accountable teachers are for keeping up to date , for how much of a role in society they should have.

I had a lot of teachers that couldn't get a C in the leaving cert in subject they taught. A lot of people teaching kids have laid their brains to rest for 20-30 years and have zero investment in the subject. Those are terrible role models.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Crocodile Booze

Ah, schools must be opening soon as the first of many original teacher-bashing threads appears.

10 months holidays, working 9 to 12 etc etc.

Wonderful.

• Advertisement

Is teaching the closest thing to being on the dole?

Advertisement