Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bord bia inspection

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭farmersfriend

• Registered Users Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭green daries

Also if you ring there help desk they are brilliant very very helpful and friendly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Seadin

Hi all,

I have mine coming up next week. Few questions.

What do you guys do with waste tractor oil etc? I had a bit of it hanging around in containers in the sheds. What is the best way to store it for the audit?

What about rat poison? Are you allowed to use it to control rats when you are a bord bia farmer? My dad said they don't want to see that around the place but is that true? I have it and receipt of purchase. I have cats wormed as well.

I have waste bale silage and dung in a heap that I will discard when I get my animals out to grass. The effluent off it is going straight into my slatted tank. Is this acceptable for audit?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,254 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Have you a map of rat bait points and when they were replenished?

Don't think the tractor oil is an issue

• Registered Users Posts: 8,830 ✭✭✭893bet

if I were you

Dont show the oil. They ain’t going to search the place.

You don’t use bait as you have cats.

Tne pile of dung is not an issue.

• Advertisement

Hi as the guys said don't show the oil if you want to show it tell them it's going to a recycling centre which is the only safe way to do it . Re the poison you need bait point map. As said or if its cats you may be asked about worming it ....even If it's feral or the neighbours cat

• Registered Users Posts: 29,254 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Don't over elaborate on any answers. Yes and no are fine

Hi lads another one,

How come there is no mention of providing chemical fertilisers records in the bord bia inspection? Most farmers are using chemical fertilisers in one shape or another to either grow grass for your animals or silage and the grass will be consumed by your animals and all is entering the food chain. Just a genuine thought? They might ask you to provide proof of discarding silage plastic but not the above? You also might have to show the feed documents,why aren't they asking about records of chemical fertilisers?

Do they ask for the slaughter invoices if you are sending animals to the factory?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,716 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Bord Bia is primarily concerned with meat quality, so that's why traceability on meal fed, withdrawal periods for medicines etc are so important. Fertiliser doesn't have an impact on food quality. Fertiliser use is more to do with the environment etc.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

Fair enough but I be thinking anything connected to the food chain would be of a concern? In another way the bord bia inspection includes farm safety measures than can be checked like PTO shafts and guards? To me that would have nothing to do with producing good meat quality for cattle I be thinking, you would think the use of chemical fertilisers would come before that ? Maybe I'm wrong in thinking that. By the way I'm not saying that's bad thing about auditing farm safety but can't see how that is connected to producing good quality meat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,665 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

They will ask for sale and or slaughter dockets. This to track a random example of animal to see withdrawals.

Other ones needed

Farm risk assesment up to date

Sprays list and record ( storage of same)

Vet dockets of antibiotics mainly call out. Handy to get the vet to email the past 12 months

Feed purchases ( mill dockets showing the ingredients) also a small one is to show the feeds fed in the bord bia booklet. Last one they looked for milk replacer purchases

Bait plan, bait purchases and dates bait was laid.

First aid kit on farm with eyewash in date. ( I got small ones in Aldi for the tractor which is handy if needed)

Last year, fire extinguisher was asked had I one. Still have to get it🤦‍♂️

The main ones to have right and in order would be the remedies, ( record of purchase and usage. Most mills and vets are gone email with invoices so it's handy to pull them up as needed)

Feed purchases the same

Farm risk assessment

Sprays and that you have the course done if you applied it yourself. If not they will ask for the PU number of the person that did.

Majority is the stuff we have to have right for DAFM and it's good housekeeping to get paperwork in order. If there is an issue they will give you a month to sort out paperwork to back it up. Everytime I have done it I have found them easy going and out to help you get over the line

Funny enough I don't have last years dockets with me only this years ones. My accountant has my stuff doing my tax returns and is too late to get them back in time for audit.

Would I be able to email them to the auditor if he/she was looking for them and I didn't have them on the day but could get them off the accountant after the audit?

Post edited by Seadin on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

You'll get them on ICBF.

Reports tab, for slaughter reports.

view profiles tab, for movements. I used those for the Inspection

a few more for you : Boots disinfectant dip near entrance - plus a notice.

Silage wrap disposal docket.

Expiry dates in order for stored doses & medcines, product identification visible on shelf

Crush, headlock, calving gate.

Post edited by Lime Tree Farm on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,665 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

They have an online portal that you can upload outstanding items after the visit if needed.

Access on day is needed to AIM on agfood if you do not use the blue book.

Hi all,

Just finished my audit this evening. The auditor was very nice and wasn't out to catch me out or anything, he was straight forward. Went through all my paperwork spent time at it but everything was in order.

The auditor looked at my herd register, animal movements, blue cards, feed records, animal remedies and usage, the auditor asked if I sprayed since last audit. He went through the farm safety statement, He checked the pto on my equipment i.e mower and agitator etc and asked to see my cattle transport box. He went to see my cattle in house, the cattle handling facilities and feed store. He asked what I have for Vermin control and I said I have cats and are wormed. He checked the medicines box and chemical store.

He asked how many bales I used since housing. He asked what I did with the remainder of the blackleg vaccine as he saw the bottle quantity recorded and made up the mls by the amount of cattle I had dosed. I told the auditor that I took the remainder away to the vet for disposal after all cattle were dosed as I always like to give the next group of cattle a fresh dose of medicine when doing the next group of animals for blackleg.

He went through my slaughter invoices receipts for vet and medicines and all remedy entries. He asked for the silage waste plastic receipts.

He just found one thing in the audit. There was a hole in the wood surrounding the feed store, just told me to fix that. Delighted to have it out of the way now for 18 months.

One bit of advice I would recommend is have the place neat and tidy as best you can. First impressions always go a long way in the audit I feel. He said my sheds were very tidy and everything looked neat. I feel if the place was a mess,he would find more to report on. Just my opinion.

Hope this might help the next person going for an audit soon.

Post edited by Seadin on

Jasus have we not enough rubbish to be dealing with 😤😤

I do agree,

I just put up what came up in my audit as they was a thread on it here with posters asking questions on what to expect etc.

Sorry it was supposed to be linked to your comment re fertiliser usage and the fact that we have enough rules from the department. Not a general comment

• Registered Users Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭older by the day

They will pull you on broken PTO covers or missing O guards if you let them see it. But you should fix them anyway.

Depends on the inspector and the hurry they are in.

The department has a full record of fertilizer use this year so board bia don't need it.

And if you do get a bollox, ask him is he going out to Brazil to check the farms that are producing the beef that is coming in. Most are grand and deserve to be treated well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭White Clover

Sounds like he was fair but very thorough. How long was he there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,830 ✭✭✭893bet

Bollox I’d say. He was looking for something. And ended up with the bullshite about the meal area. A jobs worth.

He was there for just over 1 hour and 30mins. He went through the paperwork a good few times, concentrated on the animal remedies and the entries and was thorough throughout the audit alright. He was on agfood checking all the animal movements and seeing were the dates signed on the blue cards matching what was online etc. I don't mind someone doing their job once he wasn't out to deliberately catch me out.

He will have to find something to justify him doing the audit I guess.

Post edited by Seadin on

To be honest I was only just asking the question. Just an observation nothing more. I'm delighted it's not there as it be more work for us all.

Il take that , if that's all he found on the day😆. It's only a five minute fix for me.

I remember when they were doing the audits when my dad was running the farm and he was pulled on some really silly stuff. It all depends who is auditing.

They have no choice but to find something slightly wrong as they cannot give a full mark score. They would be audited up to there eyes if they did

• Registered Users Posts: 18,265 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

The quite simple fact is if his average marking is too high he gets in trouble and you get reinspected by an auditor. I do not know why lads get heated up over him pulling you on small issues. I always get pulled up on the shed needs washing and an animal or two with single tags and it's immaterial really.

It dose not really the only important things are you herd register and your medicine records everything else is superficial, as long as I never have an issue with the two of them he can pull me up on as much else as he likes

Recently I heard a story about where lads had access to there smart phone in an regulatory exam type audit. Some idiots were getting 95%+ in the exams now you cannot have your phone on you. The pass number was about 55% so tough enough. Most lads would answer away the question they knew and if they ran into a problem with a question get a few hints from the phone. But a few idiots were copying solutions verbatim off the net.

Slava Ukrainii

Do auditors check previous audits on a farm to check issues?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,716 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

I know someone that borrowed a new PTO shaft from his neighbour for the audit. 😎

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭older by the day

The vet does it. That's my answer to any tricky question.( Most of the health questions) He vaccinates, clams, doses the calves, worms the cat, treats mastitis, takes away the bottles, needles, doses,vnearly scratched my assss for me. Some vet.

I put them sitting at the table with my six children around him, ( they are usually fighting over something) the auditors don't seem to spend too long in my place for some reason !!!

Advertisement