Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bord bia inspection

Options
  • 23-08-2022 12:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭

I took over the farm from my father earlier on this year. He is getting old. I have a bord bia inspection coming up soon, how do I fully prepare for it?

I'm new to running the farm myself, know most things on the farm itself but I'm not around full time and work on it only on my spare time and weekends. Moving cattle, Topping and spreading fertilizers when required etc. I work full time on an other profession so my dad still looks after the place when I'm not there and helps me out. This is just a hobby in the background for me and It's only drystock we have. 30 bullocks in total.

Anything I need to be worried about for the audit? I have all animal remedies entries recorded, and purchases, any feeds bought and have receipts. Have all blue cards and the herd register. Chemical store and first aid box in order. Disfectants and safety signs present. Rodent baits placed in specific spots around the farm. Good cattle handling facilities and housing. Receipts for plastic collection obtained.

Any questions the auditors usually ask? Can people list anything that could be asked. I'm new to this.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭ruwithme

You've covered the main ones sought after highly, records on sales & purchases & blue book up to date & remedies.he'll find something wrong probably somewhere else anyway, so don't concern.

Chances are you will pass given your post above, if not you'll get time to remedy the thing.keep him talking when he does land, that way he'll want to get away quick, as you'll be delaying his schedule.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,251 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

A first aid kit,think there has to be an eye wash in it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Health and safety statement, you do on line or print it off.

Some are checking pto shaft covers.

Remedies are the main one.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,251 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Another one is that withdrawal dates for drugs are correct and adhered to

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭timple23

Make sure you have a sign about biosecurity, some signs only mention quality assurance.

Knackery dockets if any.

Labelled sharps container inside in medicine cabinet.

List of ingredients of ration, usually on a meal bag.

FRSA signed and dated for 2022.

Animal health plan and feed plan completed in farm book.

They will ask do you do reseeding to try and see if you were using any sprays incase you don't have pesticides recorded.

Do the sustainability survey online beforehand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Where do you get access to that sustainablity survey?

We have done no re-seeding. I have done a bit of spot spraying on dock leaves only.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭hopeso

It would probably be a good idea to make him aware that you are new to running the farm, and that this is your first inspection. His file will probably tell him the farm is in QA for X amount of years, and he might pull you on things you should have learned over those years...

Also, be very careful regarding spot spraying. An awful lot of sprays are not licenced for spot spraying. Always read the label, and have the correct method of application on the paperwork....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭minerleague

On the animal remedies if you use an antibiotic make sure you account for the full amount you get. ( bottle is usually 100ml so put down 40 day 1, and 2 x 30ml, or else you have to show how you disposed of unused materiel )

If you have animal remedies down, do they ask what each one is for and how much do you apply? I assume you can always say I read the instructions on the medicine of what to give?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,186 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Lads where can you get the newer quality assurance signs? Would co-op stores have them?

Thanks everyone on here so far who responded with help and guidance. Very much appreciated.

You don't need a quality assurance sign, you need a biosecurity sign, if you have the FRSA document on the farm you don't need an FRSA is available on request. I just went on google images, printed this, put in a polypocket and taped it up on the wall. Passes every year. Gets taken down the minute they're gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭paddysdream

In the animals remedies register you are supposed to have ;

Name of product ,batch number ,identity of the animal ,amount given and dates ,Person administering the remedy ,prescribing vet (if prescription only ) remedy supplier ,withdrawl date .Think thats it .

For withdrawl its supposed to be a date ie inject today with something with 30 day limit then put 23rd September ,not 30 days .

With dosing you are supposed to put amount ie 1cc per 10kgs etc ,basically whatever is on the label .Dosing sheep usually just put stuff like ;All lambs on farm ,all ewe lambs ,all lambs marked with blue on tail or red on head etc etc .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

Always pi$sing rain when our lad comes and he doesn't bother checking half the stuff.

One thing I didn't see mentioned above was the spraying license - is one of these not required even for buying the sprays in the first place? Not sure if they check the license or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭hopeso

As long as you have a heard number, you can buy the sprays. It’s the person spraying it that needs to be a registered pesticide user. If you do the spraying yourself, you need to be registered, and they may well check this. If a neighbour, relative or contractor does the spraying for you, they’ll need to be registered and their PU number will need to be recorded in your records.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,391 ✭✭✭MfMan

If you have a farm cat to control vermin, you should show a record of him / her being worm-dosed !

I did the approved course on spraying at agri college years ago. They told me that would allow me to spray pesticides.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,830 ✭✭✭893bet

Have you a sprayer “in test”.”?

One and leads to the next question.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,240 ✭✭✭Robson99

Has anyone a Sprayer in Test....? dont think too many bother getting it tested

• Registered Users Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭older by the day

Hide hide hide, anything that's not concreted or welded in, take it to the neighbors for the day. More you have the more you have to answer all those stupid questions

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭joe35

Let them answer the question for you.

If you stall your answers or say "jaysus I'm not sure" they normally answer for you.

Re spraying, we use salt water to kill any weeds in grasslands, we never use chemical 😉😉😉🤫🤫

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ITfarmguy

Hey

I'm also just doing my first bord bia application and I've never done a Animal health plan before. I just have cows and calves along with keeping my own heifers from calves for replacements or to sell as springers. Just wondering what way any of you have it filled out in your books and what any of you think is the best time of year for any of the vaccinations/parasite control to be done? Or anything that should be done that they don't mention in the book template.

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭fulldnod

Don't mention any thing about spraying, be very innocent about most things, they will give you a heap of things wrong on the report no matter how good u are

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭farmertipp

you could give agritext a ring. Good with paperwork

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭joe35

On inspection the less you say the better, stall on all your answers and the inspector will probably answer for you.

Inspector; "do you spray weeds"

Me; eh jaysus I don't know, I eh, what do you call it, I eh, eh.

Inspector; would you just do a bit of topping.

Me; ah yea, a bit of topping, that's right

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Sami23

• Registered Users Posts: 9,232 ✭✭✭tanko

Does the Bord Bia inspector have access to a farmers herd register on Agfood or does the farmer need to have the register ready for them on a computer or iPad/laptop?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Unidentified user

You have access to it on your computer when inspector visits.

Advertisement