Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you have a side hustle?

Options
  • 22-08-2022 4:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,042 ✭✭✭

I've recently started delivering food at the weekends for some extra cash. I tried dropshipping and print on demand for a while, but between the ads and customs charges, I made very little profit.

Do you have a second job or any sources of income outside your main job?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Crocodile Booze

Nice try Tax-boy.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,922 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I very occasionally do a specific function from an old job for them. Haven't had to for a while so not sure that arrangement still stands actually - and it's not really worth enough to chase up!

I have two customers left from when I did self employed IT support, total income from that would be a grand a year maybe.

Fully tax compliant, never got beyond Form 12 level.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,946 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

A second job, hate the way sidehustle sounds like it's something clever, it's just more work in time that should be your own. Sad that people's main job doesn't pay them enough to live as they want.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭FoxForce5

Go home most weekends, if anyone happens to die at the weekend my uncle (parish gravedigger) will ask me to help him bury them. Saves his back and I get a few ton .

• Registered Users Posts: 16,572 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

One job is enough for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,779 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

I earn money from the graft of others through renting out properties as well as my full time job trolling on boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,042 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

It's not surprising with the current cost of living.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

Side hustle, are we in America now

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭SCOL

A little thing on a Sunday, pays for the fuel for the week and gets we away from the wife and kids,

now I need to find something on a Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Sidehustle? Sounds vaguely sexual and not in a good way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,201 ✭✭✭✭blade1

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

I am on an Expert Panel for a government regulatory body , meet several times a year with several documents to review in advance of the meetings. Its related to what i trained in for most of the career , you can only sit on the panel for 2 years. So its not a job for the boys or for life scenario but it looks good on the CV for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭FoxForce5

• Registered Users Posts: 25,761 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

After the way my main job income dried up when the economy crashed in 2008, I never want to be 100% dependent on one income source again.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭global23214124

Used to have grinds in college. Took surveys and stuff for a while but that was not much. Would go back to grinds if I had to get some extra income in the door.

Yep, freelance writing for a website and social media, and proof-reading/editing.

Main job is sales - the plan is to go four days soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Gambling. My profit on Paddy Power's website is €-410

• Registered Users Posts: 24,919 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

No, but the number of people who i know and are in the 40-65 age bracket who do is astonishing. A dreadful indictment of the times we are living in…

Ok, pretty much all of them with mortgages and a couple of kids. One is a supermarket merchandiser, goes around building those end displays in different supermarkets all over Dublin mainly but other parts of Leinster too …apparently that game is a race to the bottom, super competitive and undercut dot com, he’s refusing certain work now as when his time, petrol and other expenses are taken into account his profit margin is well, marginal. He is well known on the amateur golfing circuit for years and does maintenance on two golf courses to help the cash flow..

My friend does that display stuff in Cork (or anywhere else she gets work) since she was made redundant. She seems to be getting on well. Probably not as cut-throat outside Dublin area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

Just the usual bit of coke dealing at the weekends!

Shur isn't everybody at it these days!!! 😋

• Advertisement

Get a better front hustle.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,194 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

I only have a side hustle and no main one

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Vita nova

Sell a lot of personal items that are lying about the house and that'll never be used again. I've over 20 years worth of stuff, so worth several thousand euros.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

I was thinking of getting into homemade arty stuff like pottery.

I was wandering around a crafts fair and realised that most of the stuff is sh*te, but that's what people want!

No one wants a perfectly made anything, since it looks mass produced. People want sh*tty handmade cups with imperfections and fingerprints. Or sculptures that'l are a few sticks tied together with tinsel.

The bar is low and the profits are high.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Up until the end of last year a did a fair bit of basic maintenance stuff for a local business, i've been trying to get back this year but i think my health just isn't able for it

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,262 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

The main timesink is Youtube. It's murdered my evenings, though, little family or play time resulting, but on the other hand, at least I won't be on the street if I lose my day job. I also get a few dollars here and there out of the Army reserves, but the main benefit from it is that the longer I stay at it, the larger the pension.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 qba73

I'd say it's more about diversification of income stream than getting more money...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

They really don't make much money for the time and effort. Materials aren't cheap nor the equipment like kiln. Then they have to go place to sell them and wait around to sell the stuff. Once you break it down it comes down to a very low hourly income. Fine for people who have the time. Looked at it myself and decided that working all weekend for the same as 2-3 hours of my regular pay wasn't worth it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,317 ✭✭✭SAMTALK

My side hustle is cooking and cleaning. .... unfortunately it doesnt pay 🙄

Advertisement