Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A road rage video involving former Olympic cyclist Tony Lally is being investigated by police.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭kirk.

Who's investigating this is it the police or the internet?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭ForestFire

Okay its clear some are just being pedantic at this stage (Or I see someone pointed out we are in AH, so that might explain it) , but let me try to answer some points.

Precursor:- All I am doing is stating the rules so people are aware, not advocating them or trying to justify them and trying to be on Car vs Bike (I do both).

How would you know a Car in front of you is turning left? (Which was the primary discussion point we were having to this point)

Is this a serious question?

But If you are somehow trying to only look at the second two points (Not part of the primary question), I agree it is not as clear, but such are many things on the road, but you proceed with caution and be observant of your surroundings, but these rules define right of way only.

So your going to pick up on the exact word as literally "Stop"?....(AH Edit ) You can turn around and go home, Do a handstand or a cartwheel for all I care, but it should be clear that my point is that you do not have right of way to undertake in this situation, that is all.

Slowing down and stopping is one obvious way, and possible the safest way...going around them to the right, might mean cutting in front of further following traffic , or close to on-coming traffic, (AH Edit) but what ever floats your boat (Boats only have Right of way when entering the roundabouts if proceeded by blowing their Fog Horns)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,648 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Rules of the road and laws are not pedantic.

If you are going to correct people about the laws and rules, and cycling, at least be accurate about it. Especially if you're vague on the details.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,416 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

A sweeping generalisation would be saying something like "all cyclists" which I did the opposite of.

I also haven't back tracked, I've simply explained what I said with greater clarity.

If you think you have the moral high ground when you're demonstrably incapable of simple comprehension I don't know what can be done to reach you.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭kirk.

Cyclists and drivers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,204 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

"...Explained with greater clarity..."

This isn't about cycling. Thus far it's only about assault.

Post edited by Flinty997 on

....However, the Australian Cycle Alliance told Seven the man appeared to go too far with his outburst.

“This person doesn’t represent cycling any more than he represents people that live in Sydney,” the spokesperson told 7NEWS.com.au...."

I'm not sure people get the distinction.

This is after hours. At some point it will be linked to global warming...

(I may have accidentally just done that)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,508 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

he'd just received his booster vaccine, hence the outburst.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

Have we seen his or her videos of the incident?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,416 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

Now who's back tracking? Or should I say back peddling?

Glazers Out!

You'd love the Balls Up In Fairview thread. Motorists there saying it's fine for cars to break red lights as long as there's nothing directly in front of them. 😂

"Are you f***ing blind,” Lally can be heard saying.

“You fat c***.”

What a scumbag (why are there so many morons who resort to commenting on how a person looks?) - and the way he shoves his hand into the car at her repeatedly. For me this isn't a matter of cyclists versus motorists, just a matter of a person acting scummily.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Just her mobile of the altercation afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭pjordan

Reminds me of the scene in an Australian movie called Welcome to Whoop Whoop where, while watching the Sound of Music, the whole audience break out laughing when the reverned mother asks Maria "What is it Maria? What is it you can't face" (Try saying it in an Australian accent if you don't get it!)

I want to see both sides of the initial altercation. I doubt he blew up like that over nothing. But still a major over reaction.

So did you miss the whole part where I stated that I stand over all my comments? Or are you just being selective again? For your convenience, i quoted it for you. ^^

What am I running away from? You? 🤣

Get over yourself. Your opinion is not that important to me or probably anyone, except you.

Never knew you were so sensitive, either.

Yeah I'd say she messed up all right.

• Advertisement

I doubt we will see it. Oz isn't exactly receptive to cycling normally. Never mind after this incident. It would fall on deaf ears (and eyes).

Not you can defend that reaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,356 ✭✭✭standardg60

Complete and utter nonsense, no driver is entitled to turn left across a cyclist approaching on their left. The rule is clear, a cyclist may not undertake a car if the car has indicated and 'has' moved to the left, ie. close to the kerb. That's all it means.

Before indicating and moving to the left all drivers should check for cyclists and motorcyclists approaching on their left. It's as clear as day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭ForestFire

Probably worded a bit bad by me there initially, and I'm not suggesting a car can cut a cyclist (should have said cycle lane) that is already close and of course a driver should always check and be vigilant regardless of rules etc.

But as regards "Right of way" the rule states a bit better than me.

"However as a cyclist you cannot overtake on the inside if the vehicle you intend to overtake:

• Is signalling an intention to turn to the left and will move to the left before you overtake it"

So the onus is on the cyclist to not undertake in this situation, and allow the driver to turn, but if he doesn't do this anyway, of course the driver should be antentive and stop regardless of rules and tight of way.

If the cyclist does slow to allow driver turn, the driver can proceed to cut the cycle lane (not the cyclist as I stated before) and turn before the cyclist, while always being cautious.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,356 ✭✭✭standardg60

No you were correct with 'cyclist' as that is what the rules refer to.

And as i alluded to, the CI website is wrong, there was never a 'will' in the rule, as it's obviously ridiculous that any rule states what's going to happen, it has always been 'has'.

The onus is on the driver to check for cyclists, scooters, motorcyclists, in the same way as if they were turning right.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭MacDanger

I believe the piece below is the relevant SI, it says "will" rather than "has" so if a vehicle has signalled and is about to turn, the onus is on the cyclist to yield.

Now in practice, a little bit of courtesy from both driver and cyclist means it's not an issue 99% of the time. Like with yer man in the video and most of the people in these types of videos, they're arseholes regardless of what mode of transport they choose on a particular day.

S.I. No. 332/2012 - Road Traffic (Traffic and Parking) (Amendment) (No. 2) Regulations 2012.

(b) A pedal cyclist may overtake on the left where vehicles to the pedal cyclist’s right are stationary or are moving more slowly than the overtaking pedal cycle, except where the vehicle to be overtaken—

(i) has signalled an intention to turn to the left and there is a reasonable expectation that the vehicle in which the driver has signalled an intention to turn to the left will execute a movement to the left before the cycle overtakes the vehicle,

• Registered Users Posts: 11 seaninbayarea

I cycle for fun and drive for transport. I live in USA in an area with wide streets and 4 way stop signs. On a bike I slow down to less than walking speed and proceed if no cars in sight. If I can see a car I unclip and stop and wait till they’ve stopped. In a car I come to a complete stop. Often times a car will wave me through as a cyclist even though they have right of way. Most cyclists drive, and many drivers get on a bike now and then. There’s room for all if common sense and courtesy apply. Lack of attention a far bigger problem than aggression in my experience, for both cyclists and drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,438 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

These lycra clad adult men are more annoying than wasps in the summer. As far as they're concerned it's THEIR road. I've had run ins with these idiots over the years and they're only too happy to cycle like they're the ones in a two tonne metal box.

If you're one of these morons, cycle appropriately. You're not invincible. Stop cutting up traffic, stop weaving in and out of CAR LANES, obey traffic lights and for Jesus sakes if there's cycle lanes get the fk into them. You big aggressive cry babies, grow up.

I think if you want to obsess about looking at men in lycra then you need to be posting in some other forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭growleaves

• Advertisement

No, I think he's looking for some kink forum. The cycling forum just handles cycling.

Advertisement