Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A road rage video involving former Olympic cyclist Tony Lally is being investigated by police.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,581 ✭✭✭Allinall

Yaaaaawn

• Registered Users Posts: 26,957 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

In your opinion, Did I criticise Cyclists generally, I question the obsessive defence of Cyclists who some seem to think can do no wrong 🤔 but whatever 🙄 you've proved my point

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Interesting question, I'd to look it up.

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/cycling/cycling_offences.html

Can I overtake a vehicle on the inside?

A cyclist can overtake a vehicle on the left (or inside of the flow of traffic) if the vehicles to the right are stationary or moving more slowly than the cyclist.

However as a cyclist you cannot overtake on the inside if the vehicle you intend to overtake:

• Is signalling an intention to turn to the left and will move to the left before you overtake it
    • Is stationary for the purpose of allowing a passenger to alight or board the vehicle
    • Is stationary for the purposes of loading or unloading

• Registered Users Posts: 40,276 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Better safe than sorry. Id rather be delayed by a few seconds than have to scrape a cyclist off the road. I still think that if there is a bike lane to your left you cannot cross it to turn left if the lane is occupied.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

another law which often surprises drivers is that speed limits don't apply to bicycles. not that it's usually an issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭growleaves

Hm have you seen the scene in Breaking Away where he is racing a bicycle against a truck? I can't find it on youtube unfortunately.

Cycling on the road is dangerous and rife with confrontations. No doubt about it. So why do parents encourage their kids to do it? Surely a parents first concern is the safety and welfare of their child.

I wouldn't put my kids at the mercy of the average motorist if I didn't have confidence those motorists were capable of giving them enough space on the road.

"Your sample of one is drowned out by the carnage caused by drivers."

Many cyclists are pure nuisances, blasting towards pedestrian crossings regardless of the colour of the lights.

What happens when one of these lycra-clad numpties decides to leave the bicycle at home and take the car for a spin instead? Do they suddenly become conscientious and mindful of other road users?

Careful driving should be encouraged across the board but in practice criticism of cyclists is constantly deflected back onto motorists.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,910 ✭✭✭Gusser09

100 percent. I think the issue is cyclists coming up the inside so quick. You check your mirror a couple of times before you make the manovoure but then the cyclist could be doing 25-30kmh. Surely there has to be some sort of reposnsiblity for them to stop also and analyse the situation.

Cycling on the road is not in and of itself all that dangerous. It's the people using the road that cause the danger in most cases.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the issue is that road traffic law is not applied in any meaningful manner in ireland, full stop.

that's the issue; suggesting that people stop cycling because there's danger from motorists and cars is getting the cart before the horse.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,927 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Cyclists really do live rent free in your head

Why because I've posted on two threads in 2 days re cyclists?

Posters who are normally self-exiled to the Commuting & Transport Forum are suddenly in After Hours "combatting misinformation" about cycling in a thread about a cyclist who punched a woman and cursed her out during a rage tantrum.

My point is a valid one - cyclists and motorists are often the same people, so encourage careful behaviour across the board and you may get better behaviour across the board.

suggesting that people stop cycling because there's danger from motorists and cars is getting the cart before the horse.

So you'd happily recommend your children to cycle on the road, even though you believe motorists are incapable of looking out for them?

yes, that's *exactly* the message my post was intended to convey.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

To be fair, you made a few points...

Many cyclists are pure nuisances, blasting towards pedestrian crossings regardless of the colour of the lights.

What happens when one of these lycra-clad numpties decides to leave the bicycle at home and take the car for a spin instead? Do they suddenly become conscientious and mindful of other road users?

...both of these were just lazy opportunities for you to express your evident disdain towards some vulnerable road users and it says far more about you!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,910 ✭✭✭Gusser09

If everyone has respect for each other and is mindful of their duty of care then things will improve. But there is no call regardless of the near misses for assaulting physically or verbally another road user.

The first point is true although perhaps the word "many" is an exaggeration. It happens though.

If someone is cycling dangerously its true that they probably won't kill someone, that's why I call them 'nuisances' instead of something worse. It annoys and inconveniences me to have to jump out of the way to avoid getting a clip from a handlebar when the lights say I can cross. I feel the same about e-scooters.

It would be relatively trivial except one of these boyos is one day going to race out in front of a car and get themselves killed. Or hit a pedestrian full on.

The second point is inflammatory because of the phrase 'lycra-clad numpties' but that's just a provocative posting style. 🤷

• Registered Users Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Or a pedestrian is going to walk out on the cycle lane and knock a cyclist down and kill them as happened in the Phoneix park. How about the 2 motorists that admitted not looking at the road a head of them driving over cyclists and killing them?

There are idiots of all sorts but motorists are generally disregard others safety for convenience and nothing more. Cyclist holding them up so they see a gap and will take a risk to pass them if they think it will be safe enough for the cyclist. They park on bends, double yellow lines and cycle lanes.

I have been cycling as a commuter for over 30 years and have made mistakes but I have never claimed to have not seen something on the road. I have seen a lot of car, bicycle, pedestrian, Luas etc... accidents and you hear motorists say "i didn't see them" and "they came out of nowhere". You don't see something if you aren't looking

This guy was obviously angry but reading the comments it has gone to him punching her which didn't happen. If somebody hits you with a car or nearly knock you down you are going to have heightened adrenaline compared to the person who didn't even notice and that should be considered.

I had a guy push me off the road with his car to stop and shout at me for scratching his car. There was no way he was going to get a calm response and he was also stupid enough to think I couldn't catch up with him in Dublin traffic.

@Ray Palmer mer 'There are idiots of all sorts but motorists are generally disregard others safety for convenience and nothing more.'

Why do cyclists go through red lights if not for pesonal convenience? It takes a huge amount of physical energy for an unfit person to stop and then accelerate again and it is often tempting to just keep rolling or lightly pedalling.

I cycled as a commuter for years and I would pass out other cyclists because they are usually slower. What would happen at a red light is that I stop and they go through it. Then I have to pass them out again. Another red light, I stop and again they go through it. Then I have to pass them out a third time. Farcical.

Can anyone entertain criticism of cyclists without deflecting it back onto motorists? Especially when you consider many motorists and cyclists are the same people. So if a person is habituating themselves to ignoring the rules of the road on one mode of transport, won't that cross over into other modes of transport?

• Advertisement

@Ray Palmer "This guy was obviously angry but reading the comments it has gone to him punching her which didn't happen."

He took four swipes in her direction and she screamed at him "You just hit me twice". Is she lying? Maybe. He could have been swiping at the camera all four times and not have made contact with her.

I don't feel the need to "take sides". The courts will sort it out, and he has his own footage from his handlebar-level cam to clarify his side of the story.

I go through red lights when safe to do so on a bike because it isn't policed and no one really cares. If there are people crossing at a pedestrian crossing I wait till they've crossed then carry on. It will never be policed and it doesn't seem to cause much trouble so I would just accept it as something that happens if I were you.

When driving a car I adhere to rules of the road 100% because I don't want to kill myself or anyone else.

So when I mention idiots of all sorts you somehow didn't think that included cyclists?

The idiot cyclists going slow and breaking the lights is an issue but nowhere near as dangerous as a motorist. The danger and risks have to be weighed up.

There are tons of red lights that are completely safe for cyclists to break or treat as a yield sign with no danger to anyone. Whitehall junction is a prime example. There is a bus lane empty but the light is red

THere is absolutely no reason to not have a well lite bike so those people are idiots.

he didn't punch her no matter what way you look at it

You sound like a safe rider/driver to me.

Its only when other road users are being put out that I object to some maneouvre. As said in my post, I even found this a problem as a cyclist because I didn't like having to keep re-overtaking with cars whizzing by me on the other side.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,276 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

For the purposes of an assault case a light tap or whatever it was can still be held against him. Of course she's grand but you're not meant to make contact with someone.

I find it fascinating how sticking to speed limits in a car infuriates so many. When driving around my part of Dublin, i.e. D5, if you stick to 50km on many of the roads people get right up your arse and pissed off.

In other words it is a lie to say he punched her. Personally I think exaggerating is just lying in another form. I never mentioned assault but did point out it wasn't a punch. You wanted to make the point "Can anyone entertain criticism of cyclists without deflecting it back onto motorists?" Why can you not criticize exageration and then change the subject to what assault? You are just being hypocritical based on what you think has value

• Advertisement

Okay cool I'll be more careful and exact in future. He's up in court for hitting a woman but his own cam may show that he never even made contact except with the camera she was holding.

Advertisement