Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unsolved Irish Mysteries.

Options

Comments

The Garda did find the information credible enough to investigate and they did find a gun although ultimately no body.

Also can't believe that was 5 years ago now!

Sad and baffling case whatever happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,545 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Well you have to think back to the late 1990's early 2000's and it wasn't that strange really. I would often go out after work with colleagues and for some reason end back up at the office to pick up a bag or get something and while the colleague is off faffing about, you would just log onto the internet or email to pass the time because it was there and was free to use, unlike back at that time before broadband. I can see it now with Trevor Deeley, heading into the office to get an umbrella, sits down to chat to his mate and then like most of us logs into his email to check messages maybe from someone he was chatting too or something like that and then logs off and heads out the door.

I remember 5 or 6 years after that another person going missing after a night out, I was working for in a company along Sir Johns Rogerson's Quay and I remember the family of the person at the time passing out posters and asking if anybody may have seen him. Can't remember what the outcome of that was? Also a few years ago there was a story about a man, I think from Iceland, who was over here for a poker competition going missing as well, not sure if they got to the bottom of that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,034 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Very plausible that one of them tried to sell him drugs or a pro and got angry when he declined.

But is that really very plausible?

That he got killed in a fit of rage by a young drug dealer and never seen again.

How was he killed, where did they put the body?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Yeh but yet they couldn't be bothered heading just outside Naas for five days after getting a report of a body being found. A joke shop of a force back then by all accounts.

The Lynette McKeown case has serious comparisons to the JoJo Dollard case when it came to the handling of it. Ireland really was a dark place back then.

It's not plausible at all. And if the info that AGS received was so credible then why wasn't any evidence found in Chapelizod.

The thing for me is that if he had to come to harm from a street criminal I can't see them methodically getting rid of the body / evidence. Especially if it was just a chance encounter, It would be different if it was premeditated I suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,513 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Depends if they felt they left evidence on the body or something. Or if he was assaulted, not killed so could identify the attacker and was taken away by car or whatever and killed then. Couldve been a mugging gone too far. Or an attempted tiger kidnapping because he worked in the bank. Or mistaken identity.

I cant believe he somehow fell in the canal and washed out to sea.

Based on the tiny bits of information we have, the Garda do seem to be convinced that he was murdered and the main theory seemed to be that he'd had an encounter with a criminal.

They did find a gun in Chapelizod that may or may not be linked.

Regardless of whether it's true or not, that would appear to be the last known lead the Garda were following.

Much more plausible that the obvious explanation is correct.

His phone was still ringing over the weekend, he didnt fall into the water

Ive heard that said but not verified. Would a criminal leave his phone ringing.

• Advertisement

The tiger kidnapping of a junior IT guy that worked in a merchant bank ?

Seriously think about it.

Never been verified.

The people who rang him the various times were not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭LunaLoo

Jumping in here after reading as far as here. Not sure if anyone read about the army guy in England who went missing after a night out several years ago. It was confirmed that he had climbed/fallen into one of the large commercial bins for shelter and passed out or fallen asleep. They discovered it by tracking bin lorries in the area and the collection that took place the following day was heavier than normal, almost exactly his body weight heavier. So it was concluded he was taken to a landfill and buried.

I wonder what way bins would have been around time of Trevors disappearance, that close to Christmas it's usually always a bit chaotic.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭FrankN1

It always seemed crazy to me that this wasn't verified. If you called someone a few times that weekend, you would know if it rang

But would you?

Remember there was no concern about Trevor's whereabouts until the Monday morning/lunchtime.

He was last seen in the early hours of Friday.

So anyone calling him would have been doing so without any understanding of the situation.

Did you ring people Friday and Saturday?

For those you did not get through to did you get a ring tone or did it go straight to voicemail ?

I bet most people could not recall exactly.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭FrankN1

I would remember to be honest. I don't call a lot of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,422 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

I can recall who I rang at the weekend and whether they answered or not. I'd certainly remember if their phone went to voicemail.

If someone I rang on Sunday was reported missing I'd be able to state categorically whether their phone rang or not.

The reason he went into the office was to get an umbrella - he had to walk home on that stormy night, and the bank had those corporate golf umbrellas. And security was more lax then too. I got my first job at the time - temping in a bank, and it was bizarrely relaxed.

While he was there he stuck around for a bit - to have a cuppa with his colleague who missed the Christmas party, and he no doubt checked his emails for a head start on what would be a sore headed, ill day at the office in only five hours' time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,953 ✭✭✭pgj2015

• Registered Users Posts: 14,040 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Vice have a good article detailing the whole thing

https://www.vice.com/en/article/v7dkgy/he-was-seen-cycling-naked-through-a-housing-estate-and-then-he-vanished

Basically the family think his death is a cover-up, possibly sectarian or racially motivated

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭Cake Man

The only real explanation I could offer about a criminals motivation to get rid of the body (and as a few others have mentioned above) is if Trevor may have seen something that he could later report and identify either who was involved or what they were doing (or both) and believed they needed to silence a witness. Either that or if they knew they'd be leaving behind a body in an area where the criminal(s) lived/worked/frequented for whatever reasons, this would attract increased Garda presence to the area and would question everyone for witness statements. Might be odd if one guy in particular refused to give any info and/or acted nervously in front of Gardai. The increased police presence to the area might disrupt/end any potential illicit business being conducted (prostitution, drugs etc.).

It's hard to know though, I'm just throwing out a few theories. If it was a criminal(s) responsible, the motivation to get rid of the body would have to be a fairly compelling reason as that's a huge risk to take. The only thing that would make sense to me is they had something to hide, so much so that they were willing to remove a body to prevent exposing whatever it was they were trying to keep under wraps.

Even ignoring any involvement of drugs/prostitution, it could very well be that Trevor encountered some drunk/high scumbag who was looking for trouble. Things get out of hand and the scumbag(s) realises he/they would be better off getting rid of the body as Gardai would no doubt be appealing for anyone in the area on the night to come forward. Friends/family members of said scumbag(s) may recall they said they were in that area on the night but for some reason didn't make that known to the Gardai.

As for the phone ring, I think it was his sister that was mentioned as being the person (or possibly one of the people) who tried calling him over the weekend but from a podcast I re-listened to on the case recently, it sounds like she can't be sure if she did (or if it rang out).

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Around the same ti,e as Trevor's disappearance, another poor soul vanished after/during a night out. If I remember correctly, it was a man who left the pub/place where he was celebrating with his friends/colleagues. The poor man had gone out for a smoke, didn't see an air vent, fell into and got completely stuck.... he wasn't found for weeks, until his body turned up much later, after someone had been called in to deal with the nasty stench coming from an air vent. I remember, before he was positively identified, that there were speculations as to whether that could have been Trevor's body.

Something similar could've happened to Trevor, too, only in a place that's still hiding his remains.

Never verified but his sister rang a few times and said she was fairly sure it rang out. Havent seen much about other people calling him though, which Im sure they did?

Very odd this wasnt verified at the time. I also read that the ony reason theres CCTV footage is because the family contacted the bank just before it was due to be deleted.

Very odd this wasnt verified at the time.

The ultimate verification of Trevor's phone would be when was the last time it made contact (a location update) with a mobile cell (mast).

I'm sure the Gardai did this and found out nothing new, i.e. it did a location update with a cell in the south side of the city around the time he left work with the umbrella.

Equally we have no idea how long that sort of data was held by mobile operators.

He was last seen early Friday morning, he was reported missing Monday evening.

Was that data even still available?

Mobile phone companies would've been able to confirm incoming calls/traffic on their network even then surely?

Yes of course, but a search for Trevor's phone on the network would have likely revealed that his phone last contacted the network in general area he was last seen around the time he was last seen.

I'm sure the Gardai did this as part of their investigation, but because it revealed nothing that they did not know already then it's a dead end.

If such a network search revealed that the phone contacted a cell in a completely different location at a completely different time then it would be a completely different narrative around his disappearance.

Again you would think so but I don't remember reading anything official that AGS requested such information. Now I could be wrong. I don't think anything was ever verified.

That's a bit of a problem with this case too. The amount of false and baseless claims that have stuck as if they are fact muddy things a little. What we have is a timeline and some blurry pictures. Not really a lot else to go on.

When you look at the Noah Donohue case as see how a body can be pulled through a storm drain for 900m where there was very little access etc it shows how a body could be pulled out to see by the dodder. Especially during a storm where winds and water would have been rough enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

I find Jon Johnson the Icelandic poker player who went missing from the Bonington Hotel a bit mad. I used to see the big poster his family had put up in Whitehall for months.

There were articles published afterwards saying that police in Iceland were told he'd been killed by accident by a disgruntled Icelander after he won a game. What gets me is how ,without good knowledge of an area or country ,would you be able to hide/dispose of a body without it being found after an intense search.

STATEMENT 6/10/2020: Early morning yesterday the Independent published a very detailed and disturbing article about Jon’s disappearance.

In the article, the reporter claims that Jon’s family was made aware of the information, detailed in the article, by an informant. This is utterly untrue as no such information has been received by the family nor have we received any leads from an imprisoned informant.

Furthermore, our contacts at Garda and the Icelandic police have confirmed to members of the family that they haven’t received any information as described in the article nor did they communicate any such information to the reporter, Ali Bracken, or the Independent. So the story is at best based on information from an unreliable source or, at worst, completely made up. Needless to say, the publishing of the story in the Independent and subsequently in Icelandic media has caused Jon’s family unnecessary harm. The reporter, Ali Bracken, has shown grave negligence by writing an unsubstantiated story in such a delicate case and shown complete disrespect and disregard to Jon’s family by publishing it. So has the Icelandic media that ran the story.

The family is planning on submitting a formal complaint to Ireland’s National Union of Journalists for Ali Bracken’s and her editor’s at the Independent.ie breach of articles 3 and 6 of the NUJ’s Code of Conduct. We are also looking into further legal action against the Independent. We are further planning to submit a formal complaint to the Icelandic Journalist’s Association regarding the Icelandic journalists and their editors (Vísir.is, DV.is, mbl.is, RÚV, Stöð 2) who published stories based on the Independent story without taking into consideration article 3 of the code of conduct by which they should abide to.

Respectfully on behalf of Jon’s family,

Thorunn Jonsdottir

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Journalists" really have no moral compass.

• Advertisement

True but the Dodder around Ballsbridge is about 2 feet deep. Just seems unlikely to me.

Advertisement