Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unsolved Irish Mysteries.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭RainInSummer

They vanished when it was their round.

Yeah I've read that.

It does seem like Trevor inadvertently said or did or saw or heard the wrong thing, poor lad. Probably something innocuous to anyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭Munstergirl854

It has always annoyed me that those missing women/vanishing triangle are lumped together under the category of Larry Murphy.The only case he "might" have had a connection to was Deirdre.

I think Annie McCarrick was probably killed by a random male who she may have gone out for a drink with and she was killed in a fit of rage.There are a few theories on JoJo but the strongest is a Wicklow Male whose father was an MEP and well connected at the time, she was supposedly buried on the family farm and a garda came to her sister directly with this information...its all online if you want to google it and her sister has spoken to the papers about this,they have never obtained a warrant to search the farm.

Imelda Keenan ..if you google the info online about that case,her family have said there is no concrete evidence that she even left the apartment she shared with her partner that day...you can read between the lines on that one.

Eva Brennan-I wouldnt have known of this case only for Gareth O Callaghan...when he was posting on Facebook about the Philip Cairns case. he named a now deceased male from Terenure and believes he is responsible for the disapperance of Philip,Eva and Claire Boylan.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

some of the ladies of the night were not the type of gals you’d take home to your mum

Only some?

Yeah I was going to say the vanishing triangle is a media creation but didn't want to seem like a hypocrite when I was doing some armchair sleuthing myself.

Certainly the inclusion of Fiona Pender, Fiona Sinnott and Ciara Breen makes no sense. The others though... I read that Imelda's partner was cleared. I didn't know that about Gareth O'Callaghan, but I dunno whether he is privy to any more information than we are? It's all just speculation. Why wouldn't Murphy have something to do with the other girls/women besides Deirdre?

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Swaine

Eoghan McDermott. The man just vanished.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Stranger Things

Joe Deacy murder another one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,922 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

This is a pretty strange case from Galway, that of an English new age traveller whose body was found buried in a back garden in the early 00s. Despite the fact that there's a pretty clear photo of him, a possible first name and it seems to be known where exactly in England he came from, he remains unidentified.

https://locate.international/unidentified-bodies/dave-the-busker/

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭FrankN1

Trevor Deely. The CCTV with the man walking behind is very eerie. Also very strange how comfortable Trevor is when the man is talking to him at the gate...

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭juno10353

The mystery of the female corpse and coffin found in ditch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭GavPJ

I didn't hear of that til I read this thread. That is so weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

Who was the man who slipped on the ice?

Yeah it is.

Maybe he was relaxed after a good bit to drink. Maybe the guy was just acting like any random drunk person looking for change or a smoke, and a bit annoying rather than threatening.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭chicorytip

It was the graveyard shift in whatever department of the bank he worked for that operated at night. I think there was only one other employee on duty when Trevor arrived and this individual was also a friend of his so maybe he just dropped in for a chat. I think it more likely he took his own life or drowned accidentally that came to harm at the hands of others.

That search the guards conducted on that place in Benburb Street (was it??) arose from somebody giving what was obviously false information. What a **** thing to do to his family.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,426 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

I don't think all fruitless searches are down to someone deliberately giving false information.

There was a fairly recent one for Deirdre Jacob after a statement was discounted/overlooked fearlier in the investigation. It's likely the person who reported 2 men acting suspiciously in the area at the time of her disappearance acted in good faith.

I'd rather see failed searches than no searches. Agonising for families, but if one pays off that's a positive.

He dropped into work to get an umbrella, as he had to walk home to Sandymount (taxi strike) and the weather was terrible that night. The security guy was on, and the colleague you mentioned. I don't know if anyone else was working there for that shift.

The obvious conclusion when Trevor was reported missing the following Monday was that he could have fallen into the canal. The garda diving team obviously didn't find him though, and advised that the canal barriers would prevent someone being swept out further.

That, and the man who stood at the bank's main gate for half an hour from 3am to 3.30am on a wet December night, and then only got moving seconds before Trevor arrived (and has never come forward)... makes me think there was foul play.

The person who tipped off the guards in 2017 said they thought his remains might be buried in that section of land in Chapelizod, but they didn't say they definitely were. Apparently police receive endless leads relating to well publicised missing persons, and if they inform the public, it's with good cause. I believe that person was genuine, just that they got it wrong about Chapelizod.

One thing I don't get is the conclusion that the man at the bank gate, and the man captured on the AIB Haddington Road CCTV walking behind Trevor, are the same. They seem to have completely different builds. Man at Trevor's workplace - big, broad fella. Man at AIB - slim built. It may have been 4.15am but in a city a random person could still have just been walking behind him innocently, particularly when there was a taxi strike. Although that guy hasn't come forward to set the record straight either.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,838 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

That Deely one is super mysterious…..that no trace of him dead or alive were ever found.

With regards to Trevor Deely, how did the fella waiting outside at the gate know that Trevor was going to be stopping off at work?

As far as I'm aware, this was unplanned. Even if it was planned, how many people would know?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

The way he appears to take a phone call a minute before Trevor arrives, seems to have a look out for him coming, and then gets to the gate before him is very odd.

Also, if he was to have gone into water, would it not be more likely to have gone into the Dodder and not the canal? The river can get very fast on rainy nights.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭chicorytip

It was this fellah O'Callaghan was referring to. A nasty piece of work right enough known to have committed vicious assaults on numerous women he was romantically engaged with but it's doubtful that he had anything to do with those women O' Callaghan names going missing. He may not even have been living in Ireland at the time of their disappearances.

O'Callaghan is a spoofer and attention seeker anyway, full of his own importance. Here, he is just repeating speculation that has been around for decades without a shred of proof to back up his accusations. You can't libel the dead, of course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭mazdamiatamx5

The phone call is another weird aspect. Like there he is hanging around at 430am in the morning in the rain, then just decides to make a phone call. Granted, there is a non-sinister explanation, given the taxi strike and weather on the night he may have been ringing around friends hoping to get a lift from someone. But his behaviour looks odd overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,707 ✭✭✭hynesie08

It was Christmas 2000, it would have been weird if someone wasn't ringing around looking for a gaff party or a bag of white in that part of town.

It's not entirely clear (to me anyway) whether the man receives or makes the call, but after it ends, he stays out on the footpath, and then Trevor arrives.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Miadhc

He had passed the canal though as the last cctv of him shows. Not sure if him falling into the dodder has been touted as a possibility. Seems unlikely.

The chap at the gate could be entirely innocent and when people question why he didn't come forward, maybe he had too much to drink/snort and genuinely doesn't remember. I've mentioned the Trevor Deely case to people even in Dublin, and as odd as it may seem, they have never heard tell of it. Maybe Mr Gate Man doesn't even know he's a witness. I think a lot of us have been out and don't remember the previous night.

I'm still lost regarding Trevor (randomly) stopping off yet Mr Gate Man was waiting for him. Who knew Trevor was going to his workplace?

Anyway...moving slightly on

Right, for people familiar with the area...I know @EmmetSpiceland has said the Dodder is fast flowing when it's rainy. Both the Grand Canal and the Dodder have been searched.

I hear the reason for Trevor not being in the Grand Canal is because of the locks. But doesn't the Dodder flow into Dublin Bay after the last lock?

Again, I'm not familiar with the area but is it possible Trevor fell into the Dodder and was swept out to Dublin Bay?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,838 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I’ve watch the CCTV again, the gate guy is weird… it’s absolutely chucking it down yet he’s just hanging around, why ? Acting by his body language a bit furtive and nervous… You’d think the night thats in it he’d be walking somewhere, to get in out of the rain, home, to a friends, but standing outside, at that hour in the pissing rain, just having a fag… ? Bizarre all round.

you’d think when the information about Trevor hit the news media, he might have , even if his memory was impaired by alcohol or other substances that he’d remember meeting Trevor… Trevor was a distinguished looking young guy, red hair, on a dead quiet street….

The guy ok, I’m not a body language expert but he looks unimpaired by alcohol / drugs… he’s not falling around, stumbling or gesticulating in an accentuated manner… or indeed showing any tell tale signs of impairment or over indulgence, so, you’d have to wonder.

You can walk and smoke….but why you’d be standing, without an umbrella in the pouring rain?..

If you watch the final CCTV, Trevor seems to be meandering on the path. He starts in centre frame, moves to the left, back to the centre and then seems to move back left before leaving the frame.

I think the Gate Fella and the fella in the last CCTV are two different people. They may very well be linked but I don't think they're the same person.

The garda diving team ruled out the possibility of a body being swept out to sea (valid question when there was such a delay before it was realised that he was missing, and strong winds). They said that Dublin Bay would contain it.

The man went in the secondary gate before Trevor did because I believe he overheard Trevor saying on his phone to the security guard that he was on his way in that way.

I don't think the man behind Trevor on the AIB Haddington Road CCTV seems to be the same guy as the man outside BOI either. Much slimmer build. To me, he just seems like a random person who happens to be doing the same as Trevor - walking home from Dublin city centre due to no taxis. Obviously just a musing from me though - the guards know the most.

Yeah the first man, who arrived at the main BOI gate at 3.05 from the same direction as Buck Whaleys, stayed in the same spot until 3.33, then spoke on his phone, moved out from his spot under the pillar, and hung around in the middle of the footpath moments before Trevor rocked up (and was also captured on CCTV, after Trevor went inside, standing at the secondary gate and looking up at the building) seems so much as if he was waiting for Trevor... but how would he have known where to wait? Something innocuous overheard in Buck Whaleys is all I can think of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,036 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

On the Trevor Deely case.

The guy at the gate is red herring.

Might just have been looking for a smoke or a lift home.

I believe he also chatted with Trevor's colleagues who arrived a few minutes later.

He was so unremarkable that Trevor did not mention him to his colleague that was working, nor did the others that arrived ever mention anything about him.

There was a big Trevor Deely thread here a few years ago that had to get deleted, not just closed but deleted because it went so wild with speculation.

Advertisement