Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unsolved Irish Mysteries.

Options
1242526272830»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,094 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Yeah all the reports about those two are from 2023 - I guess there’s an alibi or alibis that need thorough investigating that that might take time - there may be many people to interview or reinterview . Theres no crime scene, no remains - so if ultimately their “stories” hold then that may be that for the moment unless someone comes forward with some “information” .

What’s promising here is at least there’s potentially a clearer understanding of what may have happened and why - getting the evidence to back that up obviously is problematic - contrasting this with Sophie’s murder, I don’t think anyone knows, not least the Gardai, what happened or why it happened -I feel that this latest investigation should do a complete u turn away from Bailey and concentrate on other theories and evidence - if found to be baseless then fine but at least provide the reassurance that avenues other than Bailey have been explored with the same rigour Bailey was

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

Ok, at the top of haddington rd. I could never understand why he would choose that road to get to serpentine ave - down baggot st and right onto ballsbridge would be much shorter, especially in the rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭REDBULL68

Sorry ,I could be wrong as it was a long time ago,I thought at the time the CCTV should him using the ATM,

• Registered Users Posts: 15,011 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

The garda map shows he arrived at the hilton party at 9 and was at the ACC atm near the hilton at half 12. Did he withdraw money there and go back to the hilton party? If he didn't go back to the party where was he for 2 hours as he didn't arrive at Buck whaleys until 2.30.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,603 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Trevor Deely had gone to an ATM earlier in the evening. Possibly to get cash for the bar at the party or nightclub that he was attending.

The last confirmed sighting of him was by a bank CCTV at the corner of Haddington Rd. The premises is a Milano pizzeria now. Trevor might have turned left there to go down to a local all-night Spar shop for eg cigarettes. Or he may have gone that way for reasons unknown. OR he may not have turned down that road, but continued on towards Ballsbridge.

The one place he did not go was into the canal; a canal is not a river. It does not flow, is sealed at both ends by a lock, and in any case they close for winter and there is no through traffic. Forget the canal.

The river Dodder is another story altogether; on a night of heavy rain and high tide, this river is capable of a frightening flood. The mystery would be how he got into it - there's big walls at Ballsbridge!

I know this area very well; went to school there, and later lived there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭oneilla

There's laneways that run roughly parallel to Baggot St.

In one of old threads years ago some of us thought there was a shadow created under a street light perhaps by the umbrella. (This was at the very end of the Haddington Rd footage.)

I've often wondered about his route too but I think it's possible he walked those laneways.

Other people posted they thought that Haddington Rd on a windy wet night would be better as the houses and trees would provide a small bit of cover. And there was the stuff about maybe going to the 24hr Spar for cigarettes

Read a lot of reports and it's easy to see why people might think TD fell in the canal - it runs along behind percy place at the back of haddington rd. There's houses, apartments and office buildings on percy place until huband bridge but the canal banks are easily accessible around there. You're spot on about the locks though and the dodder bridge.

The bank had offices there in percy place too coincidentally. The car hire pick-up & return place on haddington rd might have been open all night years ago, its hertz now but think it used to be avis or europcar. Shame they didnt have cctv. Even the extra few metres of road might have helped the investigation.

Post edited by mrslancaster on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Was "Avril Lavigne" , that one with the skateboard who threw a smoothie at Varadkar ever identified?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Caquas

Yeah, but no charges were pressed. Politically, a trial would be a no-win situation for Varadkar.

He had garnered sympathy for being the victim of this idiot but a trial could turn her into a martyr. If these attacks became a regular practice, there would be a serious crack-down but up to now it’s just crack-pots.

Of course, this nonsense bears no comparison with the cases we are discussing on this thread.

https://www.thesun.ie/news/7035372/woman-throws-smoothie-leo-varadkar-charges/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

The murder of Emer O’Loughlin was 19 years ago. I never heard about it til this week. I don’t know how there hasn’t been more attention to this terrible crime and effort to find John Griffiin and his enablers.

This podcast on it is worth a listen. The family hasn’t given up hope of justice for Emer.

Cui bono?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,603 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

The "unsolved mystery" in this case being, where is John Griffin?

DID he jump over the cliffs on that Aran island? Body never found, but that is inconclusive - they don't always show up.

Did he sneak away to some new life elsewhere? Never been located, if so.

It doesn't look like too much of a mystery what happened to poor Emer though; that appears fairly clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

There was a very credible sighting of him in Morocco in the last few years. Who let him sign out of psychiatric care? How’d he get from mobile home on the morning of the fire to Galway City? Why did he travel back to Inis Mor under a fake name?

Cui bono?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

RE: John Griffin if he's still alive he's the kind of character who you'd imagine would find it hard to stay out of trouble and at some point be arrested for some misdemeanor and his true identify come to light. A

Advertisement