Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Neighbours sheep always in my garden??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭asdfg87

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,532 ✭✭✭✭L1011

You really don't understand the basics of law.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭redlough

yes sheep are bastids to keep in but proper wire and they will have no choice. If only around a house I personally invested in horse wire from tornado all the way around house. Nothing is getting past that but also the kids can't get out so they are safe and secure.

I have no sheep in area but grew up with sheep and that's why I love a good fence, the kids are not so happy

How can anyone have a good relationship with someone who has no regard for his property and family. thats a very weak propisition, i had a similar situation and i told the farmer, get them effin sheep out of here and they were gone the next day, he had a piece of land rented and the sheep were breaking into neighbor as there was no grass. I also broke the lease because of this, he was unhappy but the EA agreed with me. People like this need to be dealt with firmly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,198 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

The world i live in is where people respect other peoples property, families and act accordingly, your obviously a farmer who thinks they can do as they please. The farmers i know would not tolerate that kinda rubbish.

If you rented out property to a man to graze sheep on, you should have had it stock proof.

You wouldn't rent a house to a tenant and expect that tenant to have the house rewired if it turns out during the lease that it needs to be done.

Untwist the knickers.

According to your logic if you park your car, are you old enough to drive?, on my property without my consent I own it 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,510 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Long term, you need to fence along the ditch between yourself and next door and put a hedge in. Even if that farmer copped on and fenced his wandering sheep that wouldn't help you if any other animals got loose, they could still come in and wreck your garden.

Don't chase them out into the road, whatever you do. You'd be liable then in case of any accidents.

• Advertisement

It was stock proof and the contract said he was to check and maintain. Basically they broke out as they had eaten all the grass and needed food.

I expect like me you know little about farming as a little different to wiring a house which i know plenty about.

I never said i owned it, i said i would use it which i expect i could do with the car if i had the keys, is it a nice car as i will send you my eircode.

You have a non-traditional definition of stock-proof.

Maybe stick to wiring houses

What you need yo focus on is the word "Responsible" we had a contract he broke it and gone.

I will do as i please, next project is planting trees.

You're saying to bring stock to a butchers and have them killed, because they're trespassing on someone else's land it's not theft.

You quite clearly haven't got a notion.

Thats what your saying, i am saying you keep your stock where they should be. If they are regular visitors to my property i will deal with it in whatever way is appropriate at the time.

I remember hearing a story a couple of years ago where a farmer had a few neighbors pestered renting land without proper fencing. One even a few of them gathered the sheep as it was not huge number, brought them a few km and let them into a forest. Someone after a week or so told him there was sheep in a forest. Fallowing week new fence.

In fairness I did allewed to it so it wasn’t hard to spot- you can’t really be congratulated on your eyesight I’m afraid - it may still be baaaaaad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭ForestFire

Almost.....

If I was the OP I would warn the farmer about further action and reporting if it continues, either by a personal letter or Solicitors letter as suggested.

Its the farmer's responsibility to keep his sheep contained

You shouldn't be reading too much out of that particular case and applying it generally. It would be a mistake to extrapolate it to think that you can do what you like to anything on your property. That was more of a case of defending his property and self defense than trespass. Because the man was threatened and assaulted, the court concluded he used reasonable force. Your duty of care towards trespassers is (at minimum) to not intentionally injure them or their property. If the man had not been threatened and assaulted, he would have been found guilty. Regardless of how you think things should work.

The owner is indeed liable for their stock. That is not in dispute. But the garden owner cannot steal, hurt or kill them just for entering into their garden.

If the owner was looking after his stock the problem not arise, i think the farmer needs to show respect for the property and the owner and his children cannot use the garden. This is ongoing according to the OP and is not proper, then intellegent people think its ok. its not.

If it’s causing ongoing problems for the OP, then the simple solution is for the OP to be the bigger person, put up an animal proof fence and get on with their life. End. Of. Story.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,523 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

print out a list of plant that are poisinous to sheep and drop it down to the farmer along with a pics of those plants in your garden .

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/119412568#Comment_119412568 There was an error displaying this embed.

Absolutely not the person that causes the problem is responsible for this one. Farmers need to take responsibility for their stock.

The farmer needs to put up a stock-proof fence to stop his animals getting on public road, end of Problem...

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 628 ✭✭✭Silverdream

Trying to hold sheep that have gotten the taste of sweet lawn grass is a disaster, they are always looking to get back to the sweet nibble. As for who should fence, who knows. It could have been that the house owner was the one to provide stock proof fencing as part of the sale of the original site. Or it could be that the farmer is too broke to afford the cost of fencing. My own thinking is that if he can't or won't afford to fence then he certainly can't afford the cost of them wreaking a lawn. You can spend thousands on plants, trees and flowers for a lawn which would far outweigh the value of the sheep.

Times have certainly changed a lot and what was tolerated years ago would no longer be especially when you consider the cost of the property with the owner probably having to service a big Mortgage, they'd be very pissed off with the situation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

Free wool and mutton.

I agree with all you are saying. However, if I was in the OPs position, I’d put up a fence and be done with it. The farmer obviously isn’t going to do the decent thing, so to save a lot of stress, I’d do it myself and move on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 254 ✭✭micah537

Since farmers can be extremely trigger happy when dogs roam on their land (which is understandable), what happens in OPs case if they have own a dog who decides he wants some mutton?

Would OPs dog be in the wrong since the sheep shouldn't be in the garden? Just curious and no way would I let my dog attack them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭ForestFire

Agree, but thants why I started the post with....almost....DTrump (bit of tough in cheek comment), but there are other action OP can take in reporting uncontrolled livestock, or on damage/safety grounds.

In General ....

If there is a stray dog on a framers land, what reasonable action are they allowed to take?

If this dog was threatening livestock or already attacking livestock, what reasonable action is the famer allowed?

Would you ask the farmer to make his land dog proof to solve the issue?

What action is allowed is an unrestrained/unsupervised dog is in a public place?

What action is allowed if this dog was threatening people?

What action would be allowed if dog was unsupervised in your back or front garden, or in housing estate common areas, on a regular occasion, dispite contacting owner?

Would you not call the dog warden if the owner kept leaving there dog loose in your garden, or in public places? Or would you be expected to gaurd you front garden and other from such dogs, to stay friendly with unfriendly neighbors?

Why is it any different to sheep, causing damaged, deficating in your garden, and potentially a treat to young children, playing outside (accidentally or health)?

Op has already contacted farmer to raise the issue, next steps could be one last warning, but then contact relevant authorities about the problem, or send solicitor letter.

I don't see any reason to be nice to this neighbour, as they are already ignoring the OPs valid concerns, is there another reason to be nice at this stage?

From what i gather the animals are originally going to the public road. It may be possible that the County Council are responsible which i expect the OP can explore. It is possible the council will fence the land for ther farmer to stop animals getting to road?

OP are you enjoying this? well i am....

• Advertisement

Dogs are covered by the Control of Dogs Act. You can shoot a dog if it is bothering your livestock, but not if it is running across a field of barley. It is to do with ability to protect vulnerable animals against dog attack. I haven't looked at it in a while, but from memory, the Control of Dogs Act doesn't contain any section pertaining to a licence to butcher any sheep that wander into your garden. The Control of Dogs Act doesn't let me shoot a neighbour's cat either. It only appears to apply to dogs. Which is actually quite convenient, given its title.

If you are worried about being savaged by a sheep that had wandered into your garden, be it alive or dead, then you could act in "self defense" and shoot it. But if it came down to it, you might have to convince a Court that that was reasonable use of force.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement