Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbours sheep always in my garden??

Options

Comments

Man up 🙄

Like I said, you can be right, or you can be happy.

I was commenting on the OP's situation not yours, depending on the individual involved. He's obviously a thick ****, so less is more in this circumstance. Going to war isn't always the smartest choice in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,131 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

The older I get the more I realise a peaceful life is a happy life, we might have to do things we don't want to do or shouldn't have to do to get that peace but so be it

• Registered Users Posts: 19,100 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

OP, is he billing you for the labour and petrol saving you are getting from not having to cut the grass?

Never mind the value of the fertiliser.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭paddysdream

Should it not be the flockowner who has to fence their property ?

They are being the bad neighbour not the op .

Perhaps it's only around here and I have no idea what's the prevailing wisdom in other parts of the country but I do know that if the advice was to fence out the neighbours stock cause they weren't bothered to do it themselves then you would be laughed out of it around these parts .

Give an inch take a mile seems to be a guiding principle with the sort of person the op has an issue with .

Sometimes it's best to stay quiet for an easy life but at other times people need to realise that actions ,or the lack of them ( fencing ) have consequences.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭StevenToast

This is the correct answer. Its hard to hear....and its not fair...but do it and you never have to deal with that bollex again.

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 22,242 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Send him a bill for the grass they eat. A tenner a meal seems about standard these days

Winter nights are long when you have an enemy one field over. It's not worth losing peace of mind over. Most agents of the state only want a quiet life. Going to court will have costs attached, both financial and ill feeling. My answer, I believe, is the neatest route to getting on with life. Sometimes you DO have to go to war, I don't see this as being one of them. It's an annoyance, but it has a solution.

If that sort of thing would cause sleepless nights then perhaps a person has other issues .

I never mentioned going to court ,solicitor etc .Just get dept etc involved and leave it at that .Let them do the rest .

No need to overthink things .Perhaps if the sheep are hungry the op might consider purchasing some meal for them or even reseeding the lawn and top dressing it so as to grow more grass

Paddy, I'm commenting on the thread, not you specifically, no need to dig in. Others have mentioned solicitors.

The OP has already raised their head about the issue, it won't take a rocket scientist to figure out who rang the dept.

Many farmers here have told dept there's been sheep stolen, they don't want to know, neither do the Gardaí.

The OP can take their own course of action, they know the situation best.

• Advertisement

Well I have my opinion and you have yours so let's agree to disagree .

From my experience ,and I imagine it's as long if not longer than most on here ,Garda will take these things seriously esp. stolen stock .

In the case of something like the op I would expect the local guard to at least call out and have a chat with the sheep owner .Amazing what that can achieve at times .Small things ignored and left to fester can grow legs the very odd time and at times its best to nip it in the bud .

Again have no knowledge of the situation only what the op wrote but from that my advice would be to do something about it rather than fencing some else's stock for a quiet life.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,303 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

So if they are coming up your neighbours driveway are they breaking out on to the road first from the farmers field?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,370 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Perhaps, but life is too short to be falling out with neighbours over a few sheep. The OP should just fence the property if it's bothering them and that's all there is to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭asdfg87

The farmer should look after his stock, take a few pics of the tags and put them on social media. This person has no responsibility to fence for other persons stock.

I think if he reports it to agriculture the payments will cease for the farmer. This kinda practice is not on.

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Sonic the Shaghog

Don't drive them out on the road if they get hit or cause a crash you're on the hook, it would be just like someone to take a video showing you clearing them.

The easiest options here are when they are in the lawn call the Gardai and tell them you don't know who owns them and they'll actually load them up in a truck and take em away, I've seen it done to cattle and the farmer then has to claim them back

If you want a cheap option for now instead of putting up expensive fencing get yourself some plastic fence posts and the white cord like electric wire it's very cheap and you just push the stakes into the ground and can pull them up again and roll up the cord

I'd get a fence battery then and put 2 lines of the wire and a few shocks will drive em off

All that will be cheaper than a solicitors letter cause I can tell you the only way he'll do anything is if you follow one of the 2 methods cause he's the ignorant type of oul cartnuck that's laughing away to himself over you

Unfortunately it's easy say "why should you have to do XYZ when it's x at fault" but unfortunately for these type of things it doesn't follow how we'd like things to work

And if you want to make a bit of money if you have a camera you can angle at said fence he sounds like the type of bollox that would steal the stakes and battery so you could do him that way too

Yeah. The sheep will be mortified to be outed on twitter.

You're obsessed with "payments". There is no such "payment" which is contingent on something like fencing.

Every farmer i know gets payments for looking after stock, if animals on the public road or another persons property the payments will cease i expect. I expect keeping stock on the property the payments are on is part of the deal, not wandering on roads and other persons property.

Farmers would not survive with the "payments" i expect you already know this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Them fuzzy wuzies don't get a shock from an el fence, they are well insulated.

• Advertisement

Some of the farmers might be rich like you and not need the said payment but the ones i know not viable without financial support.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,188 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

They do. The real truce is 3-4strands. The second strand up should be earthed.

Slava Ukrainii

The payments will not be pulled if animals are breaking out do you know how much the department would spend freezing and recommencing payments if it was contingent on that? You'd need an entire fulltime unit

The best you can get that way if they break out and an accident happens and he tries to claim on the farm insurance, if an accessor comes out and deems the fencing and walls to be not be up to the scratch they can refuse to pay out but that's it

In fact ringing the department and telling them Mikey John's sheep keep breaking out you'll be told contact the authorities and they'll fall around the office pissing themselves laughing at you once you are off the phone

• Registered Users Posts: 10,697 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

I think you need to read his post again. " Well insulated ......." 😀

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

They won't lose a penny from these payments because a few sheep wandered into someone's garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,188 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

You earth one of the lower strands. The idea being that when the sheep put there head through the wire the get a good wallop off the fence. Even use tying wire for this strand..

Slava Ukrainii

I'm surprised the department think its perfectly ok for animals to trespass on non-farming property. I am in the process of plantion trees on a piece of good land. The farming neighbors are unhappy but the reason it is being planted is people would not either look after the land od the stock.

I expect freezer the next best option, i expect if he brings two to the butcher he get back one ready for the oven.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Jjameson

Earthing a strand of fence? It’d be sapping the shock out of it?

Theft is theft. If he has a butcher buddy and they are willing to do that, then sure he might as well start going around the country stealing sheep rather than taking the ones beside him. They are less likely to be caught if they steal random ones.

• Advertisement

I imagine trying to keep good relations with neighbours in the countryside, no matter how difficult or one-sided it is, might be the better option here- sometimes it doesn’t matter who’s “right” - implications of the wrong decision made now could have bigger ramifications (pun intended) in the long run

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement