Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Who or Led Zeppelin ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Dante

Zeppelin, not even close.

Led Zeppelin are probably the most overrated band of all time. Real Dad Rock stuff, and albums full of pretentious dross.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,563 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

The Who walked so Led Zeppelin could run.

Led Zeppelin were a rock 'n' roll boyband - a 1970s Backstreet Boys. The Who on the other hand had depth, they were artistically and lyrically in a differ solar system and had far more originality.

Neither rank particularly high on my list of all time faves but The Who trump Led Zeppelin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,756 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Both excellent but put The Who ahead based on

The Who Sell Out

Tommy

Quadrophenia

Who's Next

all classic 10/10 albums

Whereas Led Zeppelin don't quite hit the same heights aside from Presence (1976) which is my favourite.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭bad2thebone

Well I was a mod, I like Zeppelin but I'd listen to the who more .

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Status Quo

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

jeepers! I thought this poll would be 50 - 50,

but Led Zep are running away with it 😶

• Registered Users Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Love both, couldn’t choose

Ah, it’s boards.ie, remember the president poll? Peter Casey won by a stretch.

Then there was the ‘Do you believe in climate change’ one a few days ago, majority didn’t.

You can’t really trust the opinions, or tastes, represented on this site. They rarely reflect the “real world”.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Like both up to a point as I got older would listen to the Who a bit more find Led Zep a bit harder on the ears at this stage the joys of getting older .

• Registered Users Posts: 14,367 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Ah, heyor.

Whatever about the Peter Casey etc side of it, I think if you did a straw poll of people out in the street you'd find Zeppelin are a more popular band generally than The Who. I'd often laugh myself at how ridiculously askew some boards polls are, but, if you think The Who are more popular generally than Led Zep you're living in alternate universe.

I don't dislike The Who all that much or love them all that much. I gave them as much of a fair shot as any of other big dogs of that era when I was getting into the classic rock and pop stuff, but I could never really warm to them. And they get quite overbearing and a bit boring as they go on in years IMO.

Led Zep aren't perfect. They ripped off loads, laid the groundwork for cock rock, frequently cheesy and stupid lyrics and sometimes I can only take so much of Robert Plant, but, fawk, I can't deny some of their songs. They just grab me in a primal way that The Who just could never, ever, do. If you strip away all the extraneous caveats, so much of their classic material still rocks like an absolute bastard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Relikk

Researching Zeppelin's plagiarism really turned me against them in the past ten years or so, but they would still rank very high as one of the greatest rock bands there has ever been. In saying that, I've always favoured The Who over Zeppelin. Quadrophenia alone is better than any Zeppelin album, in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,093 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

As Otto in the simpsons said ZEPPELIN RULES

But The Who are legendary

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭frosty123

Very similar during the 70s

Similar lead singers, similar bass players, similar lead guitarists, similar drummers...and for the most part similar music.....BUT I think The Who edge it for pioneering rock opera alone, very brave move on their part that could have easily bombed but didn't.

• Registered Users, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

Like the Who.......but Zep in a diffrent league altogether!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,873 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

The Who. I just love their nuanced songwriting, lyrics and tunes…Whos Next Is other worldly good

i tried with gusto to get into Led Zeppelin about 15 years ago and they have many good songs, like a lot of their albums just too much, I dunno, heavy and almost just lost on my palate… but loads of stuff I like too..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭Brid Hegarty

This is truly special. Skip the first 2 mins

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭purplepanda

The Who were a great singles band during the sixties, plus also had 2 great LP's before the later days of 70's album rock bands. The My Generation LP, didn't even have their 1st 2 singles included & only recently had the abandoned Maximum R & B early era recordings of covers added to the Deluxe edition CD. The Who Sell Out is another classic LP, complete with "I Can See For Miles" but missing other great singles of the period such as " Pictures of Lily"

Many of the early Who singles were almost a whole rock "mini album" performance condensed down to 3 minutes pop songs!

The Who invented the whole "Power Pop" genre during this period. I personally prefer earlier Who, but many like the '70's LP's, Who's Next is probably the best of their later era. Won't Get Fooled Again" another classic single.

Both bands had great bass players & drummers, plus innovative guitar player songwriters but I think Daltrey is a better singer than Plant. I'd prefer Moon over Bonham but neither beats Mitch Mitchell from that period IMO.

I reckon early Small Faces & The Who even influenced Led Zeppelin, alongside Cream & The Yardbirds. I know Robert Plant & John Bonham used to follow The Small Faces on tour.

The Who could match The Beatles as a great singles band during their early years, I don't think any other band around at the time could do this, apart from maybe The Rolling Stones.

Different sounding bands but still similar in style, slightly different era, obviously both are considered amongst the best even if you're not a fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭Filmer Paradise

Nah, Led Zeppelin were a new version of the Stones.

Im a fan of 60s music. the Beatles are the all time best, no question.

The Stones were just a blues band in london when the Beatles started having hits.

The Beatles introduced the concept of having singers, musicians & singers in one compact unit.

That was unheard of then!😲

The Stones followed the Beatles. All of a sudden they started writing songs.( because the Beatles did)

Of course, they were not nearly as good at songwriting as the Beatles were, so they billed themselves as the 'anti Beatles'.

Scruffy and pissing up walls in public was shoking in 1965 & a lot of dopey teenagers thought the Stones were magical.

They wern't!

The Who, on the other hand had truly great songs thanks to Pete Townshend.

Everything from breezy Modpop to Opera to Hard rock to the cheesey stuff they did in the '80s.

Led Zep had an image and a 'mystic' that appealed to the 70s brain dead teenager in the same way that the Stones appealed to the typical teenager that was dead from the neck up.

• Advertisement

No Beatles album touches Exile On Main St though…

No Led Zepplin album does..

Who’s Next however, gets fûckin damn close…

stones…

let it bleed

sticky fingers

exile on main st

goats head soup

that run of four albums of sheer brilliance, none of the other bands matched..probably no band ever did.

but the who over led zeppelin every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭Filmer Paradise

Revolver, Sgt Peppers, Abbey Road. Hello?

Anyway, the Stones wouldn't have done any of it without the influence of the Beatles.

The Beatles were the Kings.

The Who and the Kinks wre the best and original acts after them.

The rest were just wannabes

Sgt Peppers has a tonne of filler on it. It’s quite overrated…

id listen to Who’s Next and Exile hundreds of times before Peppers. In fact Led Lep III

• Registered Users Posts: 15 igluandhartly

Led zep are better but id much prefer the who.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭85603

stairway.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

It’s a tough one , I think the who were more consistent and win the long race, but in the sprint zeppelin are up with the gods , they had more magic , but the who were savage

• Registered Users Posts: 3,756 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Horses for courses.

Sgt Pepper & Let It Be are underrated in my opinion - I prefer them to Revolver & Abbey Road.

Exile is a fantastic album only bettered by Some Girls IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭PeaSea

Led Zep, there's not even a choice here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,918 ✭✭✭trashcan

Not a huge fan of the Who. I do like a couple of their songs though. On the other hand I cannot abide Led Zepelin. So if they were the only choices and there was a gun to my head, then theWho easily. Neither compares to the Beatles or the Kinks though.

• Advertisement

The James Gang did everything Led Zeppelin would ever do in their track ‘The Bomber’, on their second album ‘Rides Again’. The version with Ravel’s Boléro included, anyway.

Advertisement