Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Who or Led Zeppelin ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,873 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Let it be is underrated I’ll agree there..pepper always bored the bejesus out of me.

id implore anyone who has not heard it, to dig out Who’s Next, up there with any of the great rock albums and surpassing a lot of quite venerated and shouted about works…

• Registered Users Posts: 14,367 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I'm still stone mad for The Beatles all these years.

But is Sgt. Pepper's overrated? Maybe. I wouldn't put it above anything post Rubber Soul.

I like The Stones a lot too. That run from Begger's Banquet straight through to Exile on Main Street is an absolute joke. Sure, they were heavily influenced by The Beatles and even derivative of them for a period, but by the time they'd hit their stride they were their own thing.

Having said that I'd still rather listen to The White Album than Exile on Main Street.

I think it's okay to like and rate all of these bands.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭CGI_Livia_Soprano
    Holding tyrants to the fire

The Who all day.

The Rolling Stones and Led Zeppelin are the two most overrated groups in the history, bar none. They’re all fluff and no substance. Formulaic white man blues gash.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭furiousox

In your opinion...

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Even the cover of Who's Next is a classic ...all 4 members of the band pissing on the 2001 a space odyssey monolith

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭Filmer Paradise

Probably their best album. Hardly any filler,great tracks featuring the early use of synthesisers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭Brid Hegarty

This is my favourite version of Stairway. I never thought much of the song until I heard this version. It's the only version of it that I listen to. The extended outro solo is phenomenal.

But generally speaking 'Stairway to Heaven' isn't a touch on 'Free Bird' or 'Funeral for a Friend'.

And I don't get the big deal about 'Whole Lotta Love'. It's almost as over-rated as 'I Can't Get No Satisfaction'.

a pretty ignorant statement. There is really not much blues of any great note on that exceptional 5 album stones run of late 60’s early 70’s, bar the odd track… it’s rock n roll, it’s magnificent…lyrically, musically and the production by Jimmy Miller is exquisite especially for it’s time… really knocked George Martin down the leagues…

the Who had Glyn Johns and Kit Lambert working with and for them too and they really make Martin sound ordinary…

Led Zeppelin just we’re not as good songwriters and didn’t have the tunes, excellent band but not in the same league as the Who or indeed the stones

Well I'm no expert in musical production,but I always thought that George Martin was pretty revered in those circles.

Was he behind with newer technology or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,563 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

He had excellent engineers working with him but he was no slouch himself.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭NedsNotDead

Pretty ignorant too Strumms. While I'm not not the Beatles biggest fan. In no way would I ever say they sounded ordinary

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Led Zeppelin by a country mile. The Who were/are a great band who did produce Tommy and Quadrophenia but Zeppelin still beats them hands down.

50 years on their material still sounds fresh and brilliant.

If only I had a time machine to transport myself back to the 1970s to see them play live.... sigh! 😌

• Registered Users Posts: 20,715 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Paul Gambaccini once said that if an alien came to Earth and asked him to explain rock music, he’d invite him to take a seat and put on Won’t Get Fooled Again by the Who. 

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Count Dracula

I am going with Zeppelin, Stairway to Heaven is an international crossover hit globally, it has been listened to by every culture on the planet. I once heard it being played on a Bugle by a street performing artist in Shangai, at least I think I did?

If I was raiding anyone's CD collection at an Ad hoc party on a Saturday night it is highly likely I would pick a Zeppelin album before a Who one. Although Pinball Wizard would be an exception to this rule. In fact Elton John is highly underrated and has more mass appeal than either band.

Neither of them are a patch on The Clash anyways. Believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 dubpynchon

The Who for me, listen to ‘Live at Leeds’, no other hand played that well live, Keith Moon plays like a madman from start to finish. I never really liked Zeppelin much apart from the odd track and their second album for some reason. Deep Purple were my favorite band from that era, they had a sense of humor as well, unlike the other mega bands.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭CGI_Livia_Soprano
    Holding tyrants to the fire

In 100 years time people won’t be listening to records produced by Glyn Johns or Jimmy Miller. You can’t say the same thing about George Martin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭bmc58

Dissapointing to see The Who get so few votes in the Poll.

Production on their later albums ? Vs the Stones, Stones sounded far better, nicer ….. nothing ignorant about what I said….

• Registered Users Posts: 10,563 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Might be a few Eagles fans about then, Johns produced their first 2 albums.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

Nonsense, of course they will. But you know that :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭NedsNotDead

Personally I find the production on the Beatles albums to be excellent. I'm not going to get into a Beatles v Stones debate because it's pointless. They were two very different bands with very different sounds.

Jimmy Miller was an excellent Producer and he fitted the Stones beautifully. In the same way Martin slotted in with the Beatles. If you put Miller with the Beatles and Martin with the Stones I don't think it would have worked

I just find your dismissive attitude towards Martin to be a bit odd

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Relikk

This is just me, but apart from the The Last Time, Beggars Banquet, Sticky Fingers and about half of Exile On Main St, I would consider the Stones to be pretty overrated. As someone else said earlier in the thread I would put The Beatles, The Kinks, The Who and even in the 70's bands like Roxy Music, Rush and Peter Gabriel's Genesis way above the Stones.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Dissapointing to see The Who get so few votes in the Poll.

yes it is, maybe Pete's misdemeanor with his credit card has got something to do with it??😶

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭furiousox

I'd take Led Zep over the Who anyday but Jimmy Page had a 14 year old girlfriend in LA in the 70's so, y'know....

CPL 593H

@Count Dracula In fact Elton John is highly underrated and has more mass appeal than either band.

That may very well be true but it's not something that you say. He's definitely not under-famous, but you could argue he's underrated. Unfortunately he's only known as being the pop ballad guy, or the guy who sings silly songs like 'Crocodile Rock' at this stage. He's a whole load of forgotten about music that if written by anyone else, would be considered a genius for it. But it's hard for people to separate the flamboyant clown like image that Elton has, from his work. Usually such work goes hand in hand with a more studious demeanour.

A lot of his music is sort of for men more so than women... but a lot of men wouldn't be willing to dive into it because of the mental block due to him being gay.

I thought she was 15. Unless it was a year later that Bowie slept with her!

Not that surprising really. I think they have a bit of an image problem here in Ireland for a couple of reasons.

1.Early on in their career they latched on to the Mod movement. Even though their music after Tommy was anything but Mod, they remain Mod icons to this day.

2.They are a very 'English' band & the liberal use of the Union Jack in their imagery can be a bit off putting for some folk here.

None of this matters in America of course as they see the English as cool and nobody out there knows what a Mod is.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,846 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

"2.They are a very 'English' band & the liberal use of the Union Jack in their imagery can be a bit off putting for some folk here."

Tbf, that didn't do Oasis any harm over here.

The Gallaghers were seen very much as of Irish descent.

I know Noel sometimes played a Union Jack guitar sometimes.

I vaugely remember there was an incident at a live gig here where he had to swap that guitar pretty quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,846 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

I guess the Irish connection would help but they did have a very strong British image.

Advertisement