Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Who or Led Zeppelin ?

Options
  • 29-07-2022 10:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Well...which one was best?

The Who or Led Zeppelin ? 164 votes

The Who
    27% 45 votes
    Led Zeppelin
    72% 119 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,892 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Always been quite a different offering, to my mind, but Zeppelin really do rule, so....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,607 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

The Who all the way. Always found Led Zeppelin to be dreadfully overrated.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 55,039 ✭✭✭✭walshb

The Who, hands down!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Zeppelin by a country mile

• Registered Users Posts: 11,759 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

The WHO.

Led Zepplin did fcukall in the fight against COVID.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

• Registered Users Posts: 3,846 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

It all comes down to Page versus Townshend, unfortunately Jimmy isn't as good at researching.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭spindex

The best at what ? Wordle, pizza making, assembling ikea furniture?

If your talking about music, then I'd say its led zep, that's my opinion and no poll is going to change that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,704 ✭✭✭Xander10

always thought the Who were ****. Easy Poll

• Registered Users Posts: 16,130 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Who?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,928 ✭✭✭furiousox

Love Led Zep, wish I loved The Who but don't like much of their stuff beyond "the hits".

Obviously Moon was unique, good argument for best rock drummer ever (like Bonham) and Entwistle was just amazing.

But, Led Zep..come on! They did it first, they did it biggest, they did it best.

The only group I can think of where ALL of the members were musical geniuses .

Like all the greats, we will never see their like again.

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

no, The Who did it first with Tommy and Led Zep followed

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭thebronze14

Led Zeppelin all the way. Never got into the Who at all. The craic with Pete Townshend has put me off getting into them completely at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Nothing like driving a stolen car in a high speed chase with this on the radio.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 10,607 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Wait until you hear about what Jimmy Page got up to. Wasn’t just research, that’s for sure.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 3,846 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

• Registered Users Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭Brid Hegarty

It's hard for me to vote. I would think of Zeppelin as being a better band, but some of Townshend's lyrics really get me. Such as "if I smile tell me some bad news, before I laugh and I act like a fool".

You've probably never heard this one:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,809 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

That song reminds me of the video game Sleeping Dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

Rush.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,437 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

led zep for me, though this is my fav song and performance:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,377 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Led Zeppelin all day long.

Led Zeppelin - some truly incredible songs. I don't think The Who were terrible or anything but I've never understood the adoration for them either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,982 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

The Who were around long before Zep, if that's what you mean by did it first. The latter only formed in 1968, pretty late to the rock n roll party.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭MrCostington

Voted Zep, but really love The Who too. I'm going to type this quietly, but, John Entwistle might just edge out JPJ as a bass player, but of course JPJ has many more strings to his bow.

Someone started a thread 2 years ago to mark Zep splitting up 40 years ago, here was my thoughts then:

Thank you OP for remembering the date! I did not have time to add to this yesterday apart from a quick post, so a lot of my points have been covered already, notably by keyzer (post 58) and jupiterkid (73).

Firstly, the music. Let's look at the individual members, if you look at any lists of the top 10/100 greatest rock guitar/drum/bass/singers, each of the 4 will be very near the top,or at the top. This is in basically any list I've seen from any source. As jupiterkid mentioned they hit the gound running. The band was Jimmy's and he hand picked the rest of the band, who were already accomplished musicians in their own right. A supergroup if you will. But we have seen many times this is no guarantee of success, but with Zep they gelled, like The Beatles did for example.

It's pointless to try to convince another person to like a band or song, it's personal taste, but I will say they had a huge range from the soft and beautiful like Tangerine to the loud and visceral Heartbreaker, to intricate compositions like Rain Song and using instruments like the mandolin, mellotron, theremin, Jimmy's bowing etc. They did not settle on one style, never afraid to experiment, yet, every song had a distinctive Zep DNA in it.

In terms of influence, musically, there is no shortage of bands after them that will cite their influence, and that (along with others of course) paved the way for another genre, metal. Listen to 1969's Dazed and Confused for example. They had an equal influence on the music business. As already mentioned, they came to Atlantic Records with there first album ready to go, paid for by Jimmy (don't forget, he was already a big star in The Yardbirds) and that and Peter Grant (the manager) where able to negotiate unheared of levels of creative control. Want to buy Whole Lotta Love? Too bad, you gotta buy the album. Want to see the band perform? Not on your TV mate, you gotta go to a gig! Who in the right mind would form a band and the never release singles (bar a very few after Atlantic begged enough!) or go on TV (apart from a handful of early appearances)? But they made it work, they were that good. And as mentioned bands that followed can be thankful with their pay cheques after a gig because of them.

Some have mentioned they were over indulgent or self centered, Well, firstly, you owe the band nothing, you don't have to like them. In return they perhaps don't owe us much either. They made music for themselves, as did bands of the time. I'll trade a 10 min drum solo any day of the week for all the One Direction designed by committee hits. In any case, the studio work was mostly very tight and disciplined. So what if some of it was 8 min long, more enjoyment for your ears! It was a journey of discovery.

Others have mentioned the excess and debauchery. OK, transport yourself back to the 70's, you are a 20 something red blooded rock god, social media and the PC brigade had not been invented. It would be rude not to...... yes? In any case, it seems a lot of the stories are either untrue, wrongly attributed or embellished in some way. And yes, I'm thinking of THAT thing! But, the past is a foreign country and they do things differently there....

As for the occult, that was Jimmy's personal hobby/interest, nothing more. True, being the wealthy man, he was able to take his hobby a bit further than you or I, sure he bought Aleister Crowley's house, but I don't recall any influence in the music. Much more Tolkien than Crowley!

I will concede that it appears Jimmy made some other choices that were questionable, at the time.

But anyway, to quote the philosopher Homer Simpson, after his visit to Rock n Roll camp, “You're supposed to be reckless and destructive... and be celebrated for behaviour that would land normal people in jail.”

To make this a balanced post I cannot neglect the P word (plagiarism ), I cannot bear to type it so will say forgetting to give credit to others whose work was the basis for Zep work:) This is something I never understood on many levels. The band had more than enough talent, not to need to lift stuff and write their own things, there was simply no need for it. And, also, there is no shame in saying this is our version of a Dixon or whatever track. They made them their own, superior versions. Like Hendrix and All along the Watchtower. If there are any F1 fans here, I liken it to Senna and more so Schumacher, they were head and shoulders above in driving talent, could have driven clean and fair, but just could not, had to win at any cost. I think it's ego in play and maybe same with Zep.

For me though, the treatment of Jonesy was their worst sin. Again, why? Shakes my head.

In summary: Was the band comprised of flawed human beings? Possibly. Was the mighty Zep the greatest rock band ever, and for of all time? In my opinion, hell yes!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,725 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

The Who only had 2or3 great songs. Led Zeppelin had albums of great song.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,989 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

who zeppelin for me, but zeppelin really

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

In truth I don't know much of The Who apart from the usual handful of songs but I never got the impression they were considered in the same sphere as Led Zep.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,928 ✭✭✭furiousox

By "they did it first" I meant they were the first rock group to go truly mega and conquer America (and the world) with multi platinum sales, sold out stadiums, private jets etc.

MrCostingtons post above is an excellent summation.

CPL 593H

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stanley1

Zeppelin by a country mile.

Advertisement