Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

URC 2022 Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,909 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Cardiff beat the Stormers yesterday. The latter are league champions and were on a 15 game unbeaten run. Great for them and Welsh rugby as if brings them back into the top half of the table.

Rather unhelpfully, the URC haven't actually updated the table on their website to reflect this round of fixtures. I had to check on the supersport website and them Munsters to be sure. They probably wait until all fixtures have been completed, but it gives an incorrect view of what the standings are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭hold my beer

Dragons with 2 yellow cards in the one passage of play and 6 minutes of normal time left. Score was Dragons 27 Ospreys 18. Then absolutely shocking rugby from the Ospreys - they miss the corner with a peno and 30 seconds later throw an awful pass to gift Dragons an intercept try. So poor. Score now 32 18, 76 minutes on clock.

And finished 32 -25 so the Ospreys scraped a LBP. The Drags jump over both Connacht and Scarlets at the bottom of the log. I wasn't watching the game, but I was surprised to see that JJ missed 3 out of 4 conversions, unless the weather was bad?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭hold my beer

I only caught the last 15 and I think it was raining but I can't remember for sure

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Anyone hear anything about the format for next years URC.

I know its early but the current format was supposed to last two years.

The national shields and the number of South African teams are supposed to be reviewed for next season though I'm sure other details could be reviewed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Lions beating the Stormers 22-10 at half time. If the game plays out that way, it will put the Lions firmly in the top 8. If the Sharks can win at home to the Bulls. All 4 teams could end the day on 19 points. Lions and Stormers still have a game in hand and the Sharks will have two. The saffers have definitely made things more competitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Bulls and Stormers back to their winning ways. Wouldn't be surprised to see all 4 S. African teams in top 8 at end of the regular season.

Welsh sides bar Dragons seem to be struggling which is worrying for Welsh rugby.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Is next year's qualification for Europe the same as this year?

If so it's the top team in each shield and then the top 4 teams in the league who haven't qualified.

So that makes Leinster, Bulls, Edinburgh, and Cardiff and plus Ulster, Stormers, Glasgow, and the Sharks. Which is the current make up of the top 8 in the league.

Glasgow were the unlucky team last year as they finished in the top 8 in the league but lost out on qualification for Europe to Ospreys as Ospreys topped their shield.

It gets messy but for all teams from 1 shield to qualify for Europe they have to all finish ahead of all but 1 non shield winners in the final table. It is a possibility but still very difficult.

Next year the league is supposed to be reviewed.

The current season qualifying for next season in Europe is the same as last season's league qualifying for this year in Europe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,373 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

It looks askew with the shields. It should be the top 8.

The question is do the Welsh and Scottish believe they can compete.

European Cup rugby is a big thing financially.

Also how do you justify the way the schedule is organised with the Irish, Welsh and South Africans having 2 derbies with each of their home country partners.

The shields at least justify the derbies as having a point.

Right, but what's the sense of having a shield winner replace a better team.

Its about protecting the income of the teams from Wales and Scotland.

Rightly or wrongly certain countries are afraid that their professional teams will struggle with Heineken cup money. Scotland and Wales and Italy probably would have voted against South Africa joining the URC without the shield system. That said I believe theres supposed to be a review at the end of the season. We can hope that it gets changed for next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,316 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

^

There have been rumours going back quite a while that the WRU were looking to cut one region. The Dragons are controlled by them so it couldn't be that one. But it would be a massive loss to Welsh rugby it the most successful region in the pro era were to go under.

A new owner bought the Ospreys in 2020. I'm sure he would have locked in support from the WRU.

They do need to figure things out. 5K fans a game probably isn't sustainable in the long run.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

They've never really had a huge fanbase.

Around 10 years ago they were 8/9K for a non Welsh team and that was the peak for them, it's been slowly declining since. They haven't even managed to get 5K for a game this season!

CEO of the Gallagher Premiership Simon Massie Taylor at the Commons DCMS hearing: “The Anglo-Welsh is not a current serious proposal. It’s not something we’re going to see in the next decade.”

The Welsh need to wake up now

It shouldn't take a rejection from a league that has clubs going under and grounds being sold to shake them into action. The URC is already a far superior league with a higher standard of competition and superior teams.

• Advertisement

Benetton red card after 10 min v embra

• Registered Users Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭jacothelad

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Strand1970

Plus a bonus point for Benetton

Ospreys got a good shagging from the Bulls.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,682 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

They supplied 9 players to Wales, outside the International window, and Wales lost anyway, so completely shot themselves there.

Ospreys fans must be livid with their Union.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

That chap has no luck with injuries.

Watching the Bulls highlights and I'm awed at the backline play. Very good players.

Cardiff have just beaten the Sharks 0-35 in Durban. Which, y'know, is an utter shock.

• Advertisement

Head Coach Sean Everitt sacked on the back of this. They're 12th in the URC, with 3 wins and 3 losses. Losses came in this game, then against Leinster and the Stormers.

They've elevated another coach to take over for the remainder of the season, and it seems Noel McNamara's role is unaffected for now.

Advertisement