Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Chennai Olympiad

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,116 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Good to have them in the record though! What boards, do you know?

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭corkcitychess

all in the link ...olymp base....

click on the players name

Missed the link.

John silver in 1984 on board 3. Paul silver in 1976 as second reserve. Brian gold in 1994 as second reserve.

2-2 draw confirmed in the Open. Good news for Conor as it'll keep his opponent's average rating up.

Lara is losing a rook in the Women's, but 1½-2½ is a great result given how things had looked earlier. (Always dislike the scoring system that means his is effectively the same as 4-0 - bring back game points! 😀 )

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭RooksPawn

In reply to Past_Pawn's question some time ago about Eibhia, the link I posted today shows that the requirement for WCM is 50% in minimum 7 games.

She has 3.5/4 so has enough points already. I expect she will play tomorrow instead of Lara or Diana, but she would need also to play two of the three final rounds which is perhaps unlikely unless the team captain and team-mates make this an objective and agree to ensure she gets the games.

It would probably mean Eibhia would meet (and presumably lose to) at least one much higher-rated opponent but that would be good experience for her anyway. So far only one of her opponents has been higher rated (by about 200 points) and she won.

PS: Lara has lost but 1.5-2.5 v Italy is not a bad result for the women, and the Open team held Egypt to 2-2 after Tarun's game ended in a draw.

That ends my contribution for the next 24 hours or so as I shall be travelling. I look forward to seeing the next round pairings and all your comments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭corkcitychess

observation...Conor had 5 whites and 1 black

playing him on board 2 was probably the correct choice as Alex can be dropped or not in the remaining rounds to keep giving Conor whites!?

Incredible ending in the big game - Armenia had been winning the last board, but somehow got into a completely drawn ending (which would have meant a 2½-1½ win for the US), but then Shankland touched his king expecting a different move from his opponent, realised any king move was now losing, resigned immediately and stormed off. 2-2 the final result - and can only laugh at the US in the (Aronian) circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Joedryan

I thought you were required to write the moves down, if he had of done he would have realised what square his opponent moved his Queen to, haha

That's what they were saying on commentary alright. I think you can be one ply behind when writing moves down, so it wasn't against the rules to respond immediately provided he had written his own previous move down. But it would have helped him spot what had actually been played alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭zeitnot

"8.1.3 A player may reply to his opponent’s move before recording it, if he so wishes. He must record his previous move before making another."

This came up a few years ago (within the last ten), between two players whom I'll leave nameless, but let's just say they have each won the Irish championship many times. (I think the game was in an Irish championship but am not certain.) A complained to the arbiter that B was playing his own move before recording A's previous move, and was told that this was allowed by the rules.

• Advertisement

So Austria for the men and El Salvador for the women.

Austria's board 4 looks to have left the tournament (ill perhaps? Or covid? Their women's team is down to 3 players) so on that basis, their board 2 is Dragnev (2557) and top board is Ragger (2647). We're white on odds, so does Conor play 1 or 2?

The women have El Salvador, seeded between Tajikistan and Lebanon (whom we beat 4-0 and 3-1 respectively), so maybe a chance to give the three untitled players a good shot at another win? It looks like Trisha's due a day off anyway, so a good time for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,727 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Gukesh still flying

• Registered Users Posts: 13,727 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

It really starts to heat up at the top tomorrow, some great matchups!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Ficheall

GM Gukesh D. - India 2 - 7/7

IM Conor E Murphy - Ireland - 6/6

CM Bolanos Fernando - Bolivia - 5/5

GM Shengelia David - Austria - 2/2

FM Fejzullahu Afrim - Kosovo - 1/1

Ahmed Aboobakuru - Maldives - 1/1

GM Solak Dragan - Turkey - 1/1

So it's black on 2 for Conor today. It bumps his average rating up to 2444 and means 6.5/9 - not 7/9 - will get a norm, assuming his two other opponents don't bring him back down below 2434 average. 7.5/10 is the 10-round score but an average opponent of 2451 would mean 7/10 is the target - so all's not lost even if Conor loses the next three games. Which is surely unlikely.

Diana sits out for the women, confirming Alice's WCM title (provided she doesn't end on 0/4 - but 0/3 is fine) and giving Lara and Eibhia a chance to go for their own titles. Lara needs a draw for WCM, or 3/3 or 3.5/4 for WFM. Eibhia just needs to lose three more games for WCM but can't play enough games (9) for WFM. A win for Alice today and she'd need 0.5/2 for WFM. El Salvador have kindly left out their top board.

To bring a gold and/or a GM norm from the Open and three titles from the Women's would be a great achievement.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭checknraise

I don't think Alice is interested in a women's title. She is probably already eligible for WFM. For all titles there are rating requirements so Ebhia would need to get her rating up to 1800 for WCM.

Fair points. Alice certainly earned a WCM in Baku in 2016. WFM is 2100+, which she hasn't achieved and not sure if she's earned a direct award?

Presumably all discussed with the team anyway.

I presume - although the rules aren't clear - that the direct award CM/FM titles, which require the same Olympiad percentages as the WCM/WFM, are for performances in the Open, and so aren't an option for any on the Women's team?

Austria is a very tough match for the team today, good luck to them

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭checknraise

I am optimistic and think the colours should work to Irelands advantage. Tom is much stronger with white vs black and Baburin should be able to draw on 1.

• Advertisement

I wish I could share your optimism but I fear the worst :) Still its important for Conor not to lose on board 2 to keep up his momentum, in chess all things are possible and pundits are always made to feel like idiots.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Pete Morriss

According to chess24, Ireland have beaten Austria 2½ - ½, with Conor's game still going (and seems equal). An outstanding result.

Unfortunately the women look like they are going down. Other news is that Gukesh is won against Caruana.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Draw in Conor's game. Ah well. The list of all-wins is less interesting now.. Still, great result!

Open:

GM Gukesh D. - India 2 - 8/8

CM Bolanos Fernando - Bolivia - 6/6

FM Fejzullahu Afrim - Kosovo - 1/1

Ahmed Aboobakuru - Maldives - 1/1

GM Solak Dragan - Turkey - 1/1*

Women's:

WIM Kiolbasa Oliwia - Poland - 8/8

WFM Asgharzadeh Mitra - Iran - 6/6

IM Kulkarni Bhakti - India - 3/3

It was good to see Tom return to form with a crushing win while Tarun turned around a difficult position and now has 5.5/7 (unbeaten too).

Conor's winning streak had to end some time and a solid draw with Black is a good way to do it. It is impressive how he is already playing like a grandmaster - no flukes.

This is a very fine performance by the Irish team so far with everyone contributing and two doing especially well.

Very unfortunate to see the women's team go down; Trisha hasn't found her form in this event yet.

Meanwhile back at the ranch...

Sargissian won a 100+ move marathon against Harikrishna so Armenia beat India-1 (though chess24 briefly showed the wrong result).

India-2 beat USA (Caruana has now lost three games, two of them with White), while Uzbekistan remain joint second after beating Germany.

Armenia will probably play the young Uzbek team tomorrow.

Now Ireland are up to 11MP and only 16 countries have more match points. The Open team could get a very interesting pairing tomorrow.

15 Armenia; 14 Uzbekistan & India-=2; 13 Netherlands, Azerbaijan, Iran;

12 (in no particular order) India, USA, Germany, Turkey, Kazakhstan, Brazil, Greece, Serbia, Lithuania, Peru

Among the teams on 11 are France, Hungary, Czech Republic and Spain but there must be several more. Eagerly awaiting the pairings...

Still a solid result with black. 6½/7 which means he can lose his next two games and still get the norm so long as he keeps the average up - which he surely will given another excellent team result today? His performance rating probably drops 250 points or so - 100% was always unrealistic, but he'll still lead the way on board 2 after today, which is great.

The Women nearly stole a result again - Alice seems to have been offered a draw when she was just lost, and Eibhia nearly recovered a draw but then went wrong, allowing a nice mating net and we lost 2½-1½.

Lara won, which earns her the WCM (assuming, as checknraise rightly noted, she wants to claim it)

Also interesting to see that the computer reckons Conor did allow a win late in that game (with 36. Qa8), but his opponent missed it. Nice to see even GMs are human!

Disappointing result for the Women actually, and it has them 68th compared to a seed of 51st, but they should get a handy draw tomorrow to pick themselves up, and they can still finish strongly, especially if Trisha finds her form.

All results in - Conor still in gold medal position, but only by the narrowest of margins now. Performance rating is 2814, and the Uzbek 2 is on 2808.

Vallejo Pons, van Foreest, Fressinet and Aronian some of the names below him in the list though, to give that some context!

Ireland 28th in the standings, which is great as we're 59th seeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Pete Morriss

Conor remains in the lead for the board 2 gold medal, but only narrowly: it's awarded on rating performance, and his is now 2814(!), with Yakubboev (Uzbekistan) second on 2808 and Sarin third on 2782. Aronian is twelfth.

The Irish team are second in their group for the team rating prize, a point behind Kazakhstan. This is usually decided in the last round, because of the yo-yo effect in a large Swiss, but a team has to be well placed to have a chance, and Ireland currently is. So there is much to play for.

Nicaragua and Italy in store for tomorrow so.

Would expect to beat Nicaragua - as we would have expected to beat El Salvador today - but hopefully regression to mean gives a win if nothing else.

Italy are a very solid team - 5 GMs from 2520 to 2620 - so tough games all round, yet they're seeded well below Germany, so you never know...

• Advertisement

Round 9 open, Italy v Ireland match 17. Italy is an all-GM team. Conor will either play a 2584 who has 2.5.5 or a 2553 who has 6/7.

(Unless Alex is rested in which case Conor could play Vocaturo who is 2616, but I expect our top four to play.)

I leave it to somebody else to calculate what Conor requires re the norm, but of course he will have at least one more game after this.

Some very big games coming up in the top matches of the Open. There are still several teams that could win the tournament.

The Irish women play Nicaragua who have only four players (helpful for prep); their top board is a WIM.

In view of our poor result against their neighbours El Salvador, Nicaragua may consider they have a chance.

It could be another close match.

Advertisement