Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is after Death?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,546 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Except for Jesus of course who came back from the dead.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 6,697 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

This.

I dont know what, if anything, lies beyond this world. Certainly I think strong emotions like love, courage, passion etc are inconsistent with us being mere hunter gatherers with no purpose other than eat, sleep and ride. Im not sure what that higher purpose is or what it means when you do die.

But anyone who claims with certaintly they know what happens after death, and especially anyone who charges for this information, is full of crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 WeCanAllPullTogether

Are U running with the Dogs, or walking with me?

• Registered Users Posts: 33 WeCanAllPullTogether

I'll send u the Bill later, nothing in life is free.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,744 ✭✭✭growleaves

Death is not the end

• Registered Users Posts: 3,832 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

• Registered Users Posts: 40,284 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I don't put much weight on 2000 year old 2nd and 3rd hand accounts

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭erlichbachman

I know, its easy to find out using basic logic.

Before life there was nothing, then there was life, so something comes after nothing, when we die there is nothing once more, therefore something will once again occur.

If there was an afterlife, half of boards would eventually be there trolling Galileo about the invention of the Internet and mobile phones.

• Advertisement

But I've got a lot of sins and thankfully Jesus died for them!

🙈🙉🙊

This is the end

Beautiful friend

This is the end

My only friend, the end

Of our elaborate plans, the end

Of everything that stands, the end

No safety or surprise, the end

I'll never look into your eyes again

🙈🙉🙊

The Gospels are first hand accounts, written by Jesus' disciples who witnessed his ministry and travelled with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭chosen1

I wouldn't be at all convinced of the concept of an afterlife but I wouldn't rule it out either and do continue to hold a bit of my Catholic faith. I'm not at all a strick follower of Catholic beliefs but use it as a vessel to keep up some kind of faith. Realistically it means saying the odd prayer when I'd like something to get done and maybe going to mass a few times a year.

From my point of view, I've nothing to lose anyway. If I die and there's no afterlife, I won't know any different and if there is, happy days. I'd also hope it will give me some comfort in dying, to believe in an after life when my day eventually comes. Had an older cousin who was a convinced atheist his whole adult life but in his last weeks of terminal cancer, he started talking to the priest in the hospital and got anointed. It may not have done anything for him physically but was enough to give him comfort ahead of his death.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,947 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

The afterlife is …

• Registered Users Posts: 4,373 ✭✭✭Homelander

I don't believe in afterlife as such but I think maybe we can become conscious again in some shape or form, but never be aware of it. After all nothing disappears, just gets broken down and absorbed in various ways.

Best not to worry and focus on having the best life you can while it lasts.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 SpudsandGuinness

I went from no way to well maybe ?After caring for my uncle in his last day no palliative care because of covid😡 and no pain killers as he couldn't swallow . Not going into too much but it change me he went from been very anxious too been at ease and speaking to his past family for hours almost like somewhat his younger self amazing really when I think about it. Then seemed happy to go . I've read so much about how drugs can do this but unfortunately he had none but it was like something settled him his last few hours more so than any pump maybe he accepted it but something comforted him. So many reasons why this could have happened I suppose but for me it was enough to change me. Its not a comfort thing for me but what I somewhat believe now.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,578 ✭✭✭✭briany

There cannot really be nothing after death because nothing has no qualities whatsoever. Every attribute you ask of real nothing will return a value of 0. Sometimes we think of nothing as a black void or something like that, but that's not really nothing. It's just very uninteresting. True nothing would have 0 colour, dimension and, intriguingly, duration. You could experience a trillion years of true nothing when you blink your eyes (maybe some do 😁) and not even know it, because 1trillion X 0= 0. It didn't actually happen.

We don't really know the full extent of reality yet, i.e. all things - the universe and possibly also the multiverse. I could suppose, for the sake of argument, that if a person exists in a certain set of circumstances, as a certain collection of atoms built out of quantum vibrations, then its an event in spacetime with a probability, even if infinitesimally small and could happen again at some point within eternity in the universe/multiverse, because eternity literally never ends, so there is nothing but time for all possible things to happen and then happen again. And again (recurring). A longwinded way to say 'reincarnation', basically, but without needing to a divine element to be at play. The times in between these 'returns' would be incomprehensibly vast, but if you're dead, you have no appreciation of time, so from your subjective perspective, the experience of existence and awareness seems completely unbroken, save for not remembering any other instances of yourself and therefore feeling like the one and only.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,192 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Yeah, perhaps our idea of nothingness just is not possible, at least in this branch of the multiverse.

I can see a flat ocean as representing "nothing", but it is full of potential; so when forces arrive, they cause it rise and fall, over and over to become a massive wave; that crest of the wave brings full potential for anything, including life and our subjective selves. But once it crashes, it becomes flat again. And the cycle repeats, over and over.

Or, at least that was what was vividly presented to me when peaking on 2CE. It felt so real then, but I still think it's a nice metaphor.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,298 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Sadly I believe nothing.

I wish I had the faith to believe I'd see all my nearest and dearest again. It would be comforting. But I expect we just blink away to nothing. No consciousness or awareness of the nothing.

Just nothing.

I suppose it's not going to matter to you really. There's nothing to perceive.

• Advertisement

It's a very good thing to believe in nothing. Belief, untested, has been the cause of so much harm.

There will always continue to be consciousness or awareness in the world. Why are you so attached to yours? Do you think you own it? You are just a witness to the phenomenon. Nothing will be lost, don't worry.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

• Registered Users Posts: 55,010 ✭✭✭✭walshb

The big problem with the answer “there is nothing after death” is that we cannot comprehend/feel/articulate/show what “nothing” is.

All we have ever known and felt is life and existence. We can’t even comprehend the minutes/seconds before we were conceived!

Game over, man! Game over! What the f*ck are we gonna do now?

Nuke the site from orbit. Only way to be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,298 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I'm not attached to my own being really but my being as exists amongst others.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,966 ✭✭✭✭bnt

in the unlikely event that there is something after death, there won’t be a “you” to perceive it in any way. Think about all those claims of reincarnation: if it happened, but you have no way of knowing or accessing any knowledge from your ancestors, can you say it happened? If it did, or didn’t, the outcome is the same, so the question becomes meaningless.

It would be the same with death: we will not be “there” to examine it, so there may as well be no “there” there.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

Nothing I guess, just like before you were born, so I'm okay with that.

Oh! I like this one.

How about information? Can neither be created nor destroyed (apparently. Fascinating concept, which i cant get my head around) .

My mother is 8 years dead and I don't give a crap about her grave. A pile of ashes isn't her. But! She's alive in my head! Is she dead? I can pass down memories.

• Advertisement

Yes, exactly, you said you wanted to be with nearest and dearest again. Why again? Every moment matters, no? Is it not enough to have that moment? Why would you need to repeat it?

Sorry if I'm being out of order, but it is an interesting question that we should all dwell on, I think anyway. I hope I'm not upsetting you...

Advertisement