Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If you were 18 and going into LC year next year, what APPLE ipad would you want/need?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,287 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I didn't say it, just not sure who to attribute the quote to. Answers on a postcard.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

Throw linux knowledge on your cv and see how little value it has. (Not aimed at you).

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭comerla

If y you're going to buy an iPad I would look at the iPad Air. However I don't see an iPad as a good option really for assignments, college etc and I have the €300 Magic keyboard on mine. Not a patch on the Macbook for any type of college work etc later on.

Much better off buying an MacBook Air. Fantastic machine - worth getting 16gb RAM and 512gb storage aswelll though if you can stretch to it. There's also the new M2 MacBook Air but a decent spec on that is going to run at over €2k so better off getting the best spec M1 machine you can afford.

2k laptop when not needed. It's for vanity sake. Again are the apps supported?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,411 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

No engineer uses an apple anything. All engineering software is either Windows or Linux. Don't waste your money.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭The DayDream

The M2 chip powered macbook air just came out so the price should drop on the m1's which are still a beast of a machine. The ipads power is actually quite similar but most folks who type a lot would use a laptop. Only people I know who are ipad only work in creative fields and even then they use another computer in conjunction with it at some point.

The M2s are snazzier but only marginally faster than the M1. I myself love the new look so would go for an m2 but a few weeks ago a guy on adverts selling m1s for 8 or 900 brand new sealed. Compared to 1500ish for the m2.

She won't entertain a keyboard?Surely she needs to type a lot in that field and couldn't be using an ipad without a keyboard attached? If so you need to factor the cost of that peripheral into any update.

If she goes to college and needs to write a thesis she needs a keyboard. She doesn't realize it yet but it's up to you to decide, she may not need a macbook pro but she may need a device that is more for work now, even it seems less fun than the ipad.

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭harmless

Yes the price of the m1 Air dropped to €1,229.00

If it has to be an Apple product then the Apple tax must be paid. Go for the Air as it could see her all the way through uni making it better value in the long run.

The

the M1 air is widely regarded as one of the best laptops ever released and available for €1300. That’s what I was recommending. Nothing vain about it.

I'm sure they're a cracking machine but unnecessary for the course in particular.

As I mentioned before, will the required software be supported on iOS? That's the main one I'd be concerned about.

As for vanity, only apple will do sentiment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭newmember2

Is that you Ted?? Cos you've posted in the After Hours Forum instead of the Apple forum Ted and you're now wondering why you're getting smart-assed and inappropriate comments??...ffs

She’ll be doing law so it would be perfect. It can run Microsoft office (subscription) and Apple’s own office software or Google docs which are both free.

She’d get up to 18 hours of battery with it, it’s completely silent, and it’s one of the fastest machines, compares well against much more expensive PCs.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭random.stranger

I think the odds are very high you'll end up buying the wrong tool for the job. I'd recommend posting in the engineering forum.

We're still not sure what degree they're doing. Oh wait. The cao should have been completed by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,660 ✭✭✭✭maccored

who cares? Using linux these days is as handy as using mac or windows. Use of linux is pretty much essential in web development and most coders of any kind of level or expertise know their way around ssh on a linux server so put it on your CV - might help.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Ficheall

I know the choice of course is a little unclear at the moment, but any time tutorials/demos are given requiring system setup (moreso an electronic engineering issue than a law one) they will be for Windows users.

But anyway, anyone unwilling to learn to use a keyboard (unless there are physical difficulties making it difficult for them to do so) probably shouldn't be entering university.

Rubbish. I seriously wouldn't let you near an app/dB server with that attitude. No chance.

Advertisement