Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If you were 18 and going into LC year next year, what APPLE ipad would you want/need?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭nokpam

Her 5 year old ipad still takes all the updates and functions brilliantly while under pressure from an isolated teen for 2 years during lockdown. Their customer service is also excellent.

I had Panasonic when I was dating a very affluent fella back in the stone ages. I then moved onto the very exotic Nokia and I stood by him. Until Apple swiped me eye. I have since gone to Huawei and Samsung (the biggest piece of **** imo) as Apple got notions and I couldn't afford him anymore. I had about 3 months with Samsung and the camera stopped working. It kept dropping calls and all in all, it was useless. So I've gone back to Apple.

I'm in the market for a new laptop myself as I managed to spill a drink all over my Acer laptop. So I was looking at the Chromebooks. I just browse, stream, talk sthite. I've never used any other interface than Windows.

Not everyone is technically minded. Some people just want something easy to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭radiotrickster

You’re coming across as quite snarky when really you’ve asked this in the wrong forum for serious advice.

Anyway, once she’s a college student, she’ll get discounts on Apple products (through Unidays if I’m not mistaken) so would you give her an Apple voucher worth the cost of an iPad and let her decide what she wants in September? Apple usually do a deal around September too. Last year I think students got free AirPods.

She’ll need a laptop anyway so if you want to go that route, get her a Windows laptop or a Chromebook. It’s expected in practically every course and job nowadays that anyone young can use Windows anyway so she’ll need to get used to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭Dufflecoat Fanny

Post edited by Gremlinertia on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

I'd definitely go for either 126 or 258. These non-power-of-two iPads will be collector's items in years to come

She's familiar with Windows to an extent, but it would be like me (Windows all my life) trying to come to grips with an iPad. We seriously are not technically minded lol. She uses windows on my laptop from time to time. Who knew that should an unambiguously phrased question could be so misinterpreted.

• Advertisement

*that such

Which ones use Android? Give me some stats. The point is, I'm buying her an Apple ipad. Like that or don't like it. If you've advice about apple, then tootle off.

It's a friendship thing too when they all have iphones, then they all use Facetime.

She's not snobby. She buys refurbed iphones as I can't feckin afford another one every year. She doesn't need the brand new shiny box. She simply likes iOS She has obviously grown up in a digital age, so will be adaptable, unlike myself.

You don't "come to grips" with an iPad so much as you fall into the habit of using one out of comfort and laziness. Much in the same way as you lose your sense of direction if you use google maps for everything or how you'd eventually find it hard to walk anywhere after years of sitting on the couch overeating and watching telly.

I know people who used to be able to use windoze with some degree of proficiency and iPads ruined them over a period of years. What little clue they had about filesystems or computing machines in general has been lost forever. iOS to me is proof that it's possible for something to be too user friendly.

• Advertisement

I like Apple for phones, Facebook for social media and Google for its maps. My microwave is Samsung. I sleep around.

I like Windows for my laptop and Windows is really the only operating system I've used.

She's not going into computer science. She wants to study law.

I sleep around too. I'm glad we have something in common

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

surely a keyboard is a must for uni, and even though you can use one with an iPad , the ergonomics wouldn’t be ideal for all that work and will contort her hands spine and neck.

i would get windows myself as she will probably use it in work

for MacBooks use humm finance they’re brilliant and satisfy my lust for expensive guitars

I am not brand loyal though my Windows laptop forces MS Edge down my neck with a wonderfully useless search engine called Bing. I am going to kill that thing some day. Lol. 'Did you know which archipelago is the native habitat of a big mountain?

In terms of browsers I use Chrome in the main.

For email, I am with Outlook primarily and gmail. I've danced around with some of the others for burner email addresses using sites like this one. Gmail sends things arseways. It's hard to find what's on sequentially, so I only really use gmail for banking/work related stuff.

My iphone has an app called Maps. I do not use this as it has not the faintest clue what it's doing. I'm pretty sure Google maps have access to military satellites. I never get lost.

I doubt it if you're still relying on a compass ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,375 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Only Barry's tea for me too

• Registered Users Posts: 13,287 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Green or Gold? I'll judge you harshly if you get it wrong.

Seconding all the people who say she'll need a keyboard for college work. You can't type essays on a touchscreen with any kind of efficiency. If it's a tech-based course she may not be able to get by on iOS at all, best of luck with any CAD software for instance. You don't want to be forking out for another machine later on when your daughter discovers this in the first few weeks of her course.

Yeah, as I mentioned, she's going into electronic engineering hopefully

I'd tell her to either ask what packages they're using or hold off on getting anything until the course starts. Some software won't be available for Macs either, but if she's refusing to use anything else she can run Windows on a Mac for coursework and switch back for everything else. I had a housemate who ran Windows on his Mac for his coursework.

Luckily, the coursework in electronics isn't as demanding on the machine as mechanical, or 3d animation etc. You won't need to order something with the highest spec everything. This is good as Apple have huge markups on anything extra.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

Right lads they should install Linux on the machine? Important to find middle group.

Linux is only free if your time has no value. - Not sure who said that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭cuttingtimber22

An iPad is not suitable for university assignments - you will find that she will be recommended to get one. An IPad will not cut it for projects - it’s ok but is not a laptop replacement.

I would suggest getting her the new MacBook Air or an Apple voucher as someone suggested as there will be university discounts. The MacBook is very robust and reliable, and therefore should last the three years (unlike my experience with Windows laptops). No need to push for too much memory as she probably as good to have iCloud (the family packages with music and cloud storage are fairly good value).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

OP as others have said, an iPad is great but for college work and typing, it's not really the most efficient. I'd hold off on buying any new tech prior to starting uni until she knows what she'll need it for & then get what suits for that. I love my Apple products but I don't think I could do my job without using a Windows laptop all the time so she's going to have to get used to that switching for the future, might as well start in college. Plus, while there's some school programs which have apps for Apple & can accept assignments etc on that, it doesn't always follow that there's uni's with the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

She's going to college but she's not willing yo learn how to use a chromebook or a Windows laptop,? Wtf?

The problem is the courses ages she doing may require Windows os software or a chromebook with zoom or Microsoft Office teams Ms word,

So she, ll end up buying a new laptop, email the school or look on the website for course requirements software devices needed

I could teach soneone how to use a chromebook in 5 minutes

My chromebook 14 inch cost 250 euro it has 11 hours battery life has full size keyboard 2 USB ports

Argos com chromebook

Most jobs in real life 98 per cent require you to use a Windows pc laptop or a chromebook

Unless she wants to work in an apple store full time not a great option

It's not practical to go thru life saying i only use ipads iPhones cos I'm cool

An android tablet 10 inch cost the same almost as a 14inch chromebook

Theres loads of free apps on chromebooks too

It's like saying gosh my car broke down ah well ill just buy a new BMW I won't even look at Toyota or ford cars

• Registered Users Posts: 10,660 ✭✭✭✭maccored

i'd say she'd get more out of a macbook than an ipad. a 2017 refurbed one is under €400 - https://www.refurbed.ie/p/apple-macbook-air-2017-i-13-3/6315c/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,660 ✭✭✭✭maccored

Advertisement